Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 19, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,269 of 9,621
:beerchug:

You mean a few Guinness : ) .... it'll be a few days as like a new pair of shoes, jeans or wrinkles in a new shirt ....IMHO new drivers need at least a few hours (maybe even a few days) to loosen up and then we're good to go. :beerchug:
Mine are still improving after 200 hours. The bass got smoother over time the rest too. Now let's give you some time to enjoy the new toy.

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2,271 of 9,621
Mine are still improving after 200 hours. The bass got smoother over time the rest too......

Comparing them directly along the way with the 800S.. straight out of the box I have to admit they were very mediocre, which I more or less expected , no base....very flat sounding with no dynamics...after about an hour things changed quite dramatically....for the better.
Unfortunately I no longer have the 650s...but the 660s are IMHO very different, especially with regards to the treble, no comparison really, the newer driver really is an advancement, I'd say say almost sounds like a HD700 but in a HD6xx body....lol...

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #2,272 of 9,621
Always happy to see somebody else that still uses a cd player!

Not so much as using CDs as I'm sure ripped and then processed through a similarly engineered DAC would garner similar results. My main concern is getting the power supplies correct, which Bryson is pretty good at...combined with discreet DACs for the analogue output keeps digital nasties at a minimum while passing along the lowest noised signal as possible to the discreet class A head-amp....zero graininess :)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2,274 of 9,621
You've been waiting for these since last November, right?

You sir, have the patience of a saint. :)...........

Comes with age... : )

There will continue to be some subtle changes with more use but the overall signature I believe is safe to comment on…the 660s while sounding newer and fresher appear to continue the 600 series tradition, that being nothing really outstanding, no 800 sound staging or Audeze base, in fact the overall presentation IMHO is rather balanced, base is there when needed and well defined, the 600 midrange is maintained but augmented by a much more open top end (veilless?) …sound-staging is more than adequate and depth is a bit more obvious over its older siblings….. the newer offering is not really there to impress but to reproduce the recording in a straight up matter of fact fashion.

Scalability has been thrown around but only due to fact the 300ohm 600/650 just needs all that much more juice to get their mojo working, the 660s don’t have this problem… in direct comparison they may run into difficulty at extreme volumes but that’s par for the coarse with more efficient drivers. On the other hand while the 660s sounds fine at reasonable to loud volumes it also offers (going by memory) in comparison to its older siblings a more rewarding listen IMHO at lower volumes. This better efficiency obviously lends its self to portable music players, the $5000 Bryston combo may max out the subtleties and sophistication the 660s may be capable of from recordings but even my little Fiio X3II dap is non too shabby… but in direct comparison just don’t expect the same grain free performance…but not bad. :):):)

I have a habit of listening to full albums, here’s the list so far on the 660S.

Kraftwerk, “Computer World” re-mastered from the Catalogue
Klaus Schulze, “Beyond Recall”
Giovanni Battista Pergolesi “Stabat Mater” , Harmonia Mundi
Feist, “The Reminder”
Carmina Burana… Medieval Songs, Clemencic Consort
Bill Lasswell , “Sacred System, Nagual Site” and "Hear no Evil"

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #2,275 of 9,621
Very well said. Totally agree that it carries on the HD6-- tradition of nothing stunning but great at making music.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #2,276 of 9,621
And I’m sure many are wondering if they should upgrade up from their 650s and 600s, well only if you would like harder, faster hitting base, a more open sound field, better defined imaging and brighter (clearer?) treble.

Even for an oldie I like to remain a bit progressive… spinning Infected Mushrooms’ “Vicious Delicious” or Underworlds "Dark and Long" or "Pearl's Girl" EP offers up all these new attributes of the 660S.. they also point out that the staging is also a lot less of the 3 blobs in the head…a little bit of HD700 going on here?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,277 of 9,621
Very well said. Totally agree that it carries on the HD6-- tradition of nothing stunning but great at making music.

Unlike my 800S which are more like attending a performance as far as headphones go, I could probably listen to these all day, not that they homogenize things like the 650s but are super rewarding to listen to music to, don't really feel anything is missing and all that without putting me to sleep. lol

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #2,278 of 9,621
And I’m sure many are wondering if they should upgrade up from their 650s and 600s, well only if you would like harder, faster hitting base, a more open sound field, better defined imaging and brighter (clearer?) treble.

Even for an oldie I like to remain a bit progressive… spinning Infected Mushrooms’ “Vicious Delicious” or Underworlds "Dark and Long" or "Pearl's Girl" EP offers up all these new attributes of the 600S.. they also point out that the staging is also a lot less of the 3 blobs in the head…a little bit of HD700 going on here?
Have you tried the HD660S with a tube amp? The choice of amp is what makes the HD650 the slightly better headphone to me over the HD660S but if I didn't want to deal with amps or only have SS amps then the HD660S is the clear winner over the HD650 and HD600.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #2,280 of 9,621
When listening to the Clear, it's obvious that there is more resolution and extension but when switching to the 660s, after a very brief acclimation period, there is a nice feeling of relaxation, almost relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back