Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #2,252 of 9,628
No I haven't. Unfortunately the only way I could get to hear them would be to order them and I'd rather not do that if I can be fairly sure that they're not an improvement on the 650.
:beerchug:

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #2,253 of 9,628
No I haven't. Unfortunately the only way I could get to hear them would be to order them and I'd rather not do that if I can be fairly sure that they're not an improvement on the 650.

Makes sense,sucks you cant hear them otherwise. I am glad I did hear them and despite the grain I do like them more than the HD 600 or HD 650 for the improvements they do make over those. But the HD 600 and HD 650 have never fully been my cup of tea some reason. I like them a lot but was never fully enamored with them. It's just I have headphones I prefer and it's no secret I lean more on the Beyer camp.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #2,254 of 9,628
I think they are an improvement over the HD650 and I’ve been a 650 diehard supporter since the day they became available.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #2,255 of 9,628
Makes sense,sucks you cant hear them otherwise. I am glad I did hear them and despite the grain I do like them more than the HD 600 or HD 650 for the improvements they do make over those. But the HD 600 and HD 650 have never fully been my cup of tea some reason. I like them a lot but was never fully enamored with them. It's just I have headphones I prefer and it's no secret I lean more on the Beyer camp.
I still have not encountered the so often mentioned grain. Please give me a piece of music, which is widely known, so that i can compare that between the HD650 and the HD660S.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,256 of 9,628
I think they are an improvement over the HD650 and I’ve been a 650 diehard supporter since the day they became available.

Thanks donlin, I saw that you wrote that earlier in the thread. Of course ultimately I have to try them mysel to be sure, but can I ask you, as you've said that you were a fan of the HD 650 from the day they became available, have you heard a more recent HD 650? I know that there was never officially two versions, but it seems to be the case that they changed somewhat at the point when the driver surround changed from black to silver, the later version being reported to be brighter (basically). I'd be interested to know which version you're comparing to the HD 660 S.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2,258 of 9,628
I still have not encountered the so often mentioned grain. Please give me a piece of music, which is widely known, so that i can compare that between the HD650 and the HD660S.

The grain is there with all music, video games, and movies, it's not something found in a single track it's there with all I listen to. It may be worse on some tracks but it's never not there. It's an ever prevalent trait of the headphone. It could be my ears simply don't agree with the upper midrange presentation. The DT 1990 had a similar problem as the HD 660 S to me, the grain was why I chose the Amiron over the DT 1990 after owning both for a while. The T1.2 I had, I found had an ever prevalent grain issue with the treble for example but it's bass and mids were fine.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #2,259 of 9,628
The grain is there with all music, video games, and movies, it's not something found in a single track it's there with all I listen to. It may be worse on some tracks but it's never not there. It's an ever prevalent trait of the headphone. It could be my ears simply don't agree with the upper midrange presentation. The DT 1990 had a similar problem as the HD 660 S to me, the grain was why I chose the Amiron over the DT 1990 after owning both for a while. The T1.2 I had, I found had an ever prevalent grain issue with the treble for example but it's bass and mids were fine.
Then can you pinpoint it to male or female voices? Or to violins? Adele's voice can be sratchy at times, but that is her fascinating vvocal personality.
Come give me some grain!

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #2,260 of 9,628
Then can you pinpoint it to male or female voices? Or to violins? Adele's voice can be sratchy at times, but that is her fascinating vvocal personality.
Come give me some grain!

That's not quite how it works, it's an inherent coarseness and fuzz to the sound like it isn't quite as controlled as it should be in a certain region, it's not any particular instrument, vocal, etc, it's part of the character of the headphones signature. Grain is directly tied with transparency, if there is grain the ultimate transparency of the headphone is hurt. This bit of grain is what prevents me from truly forgetting I'm listening to a headphone. I am always subtly aware I am listening to a headphone due to this characteristic. Some people may refer to this as a digital effect to the sound. A truly grain-free headphone will sound analogue with no hint of what is referred to the digital effect, if you want to know why the R10 is so beloved, that's why, the headphone is completely void of grain and this is a large reason it has arguably the best mids and vocals of any headphone. The Amiron's occasional sharpness with the treble is more due to a peak than actual grain, EQ the peak out(roughly around 8khz) and the hint of occasional sharpness or brightness goes away. The question is do you fully forget you're listening to a headphone with the HD 660 S or are you aware a headphone is playing the sound even subtly?

Just giving my description of what grain is and how I personally detect it. Different people do hear differently, it could just be something about the headphone not agreeing with my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #2,261 of 9,628
Thanks donlin, I saw that you wrote that earlier in the thread. Of course ultimately I have to try them mysel to be sure, but can I ask you, as you've said that you were a fan of the HD 650 from the day they became available, have you heard a more recent HD 650? I know that there was never officially two versions, but it seems to be the case that they changed somewhat at the point when the driver surround changed from black to silver, the later version being reported to be brighter (basically). I'd be interested to know which version you're comparing to the HD 660 S.
Yes, I’ve owned three of them over the years. The last one I got was less than three years ago

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #2,263 of 9,628
I think I have a pretty good handle on what grain is and it’s not a problem for me from the 660s. The HiFiMan Edition X was mostly smooth but had grain in the sibilance range which kept it from greatness for me. Something I’ve been picking up on that I really like with the 660s is along with the upfront mids, the images are very large. It’s extremely appealing.

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,264 of 9,628
Even though it was a "Family Day " here in Ontario... Canada Post still was out making deliveries. : )
IMG_2681.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back