Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #2,281 of 9,628
Have you tried the HD660S with a tube amp? The choice of amp is what makes the HD650 the slightly better headphone to me over the HD660S but if I didn't want to deal with amps or only have SS amps then the HD660S is the clear winner over the HD650 and HD600.

I've only had the 660s for less than 24hrs so not yet....but I usually like to keeps things fairly uncomplicated...my main rig is a CD player straight to a SS head-amp...no computers, no EQing, no fussing with tubes or whatnots...
But even still ...since having the 580s, 600 and 650s (x3) in and out off my system for almost 2 decades the 660S appear to offer IMHO an upgrade as far as "my preferences" are concerned.
Then again it's a new toy...so as we are all so painfully aware of once you spend a bit of time in this hobby...things change....in the meantime Underworld is sounding really good...better than I recall on the 600/650s.:)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #2,282 of 9,628
I've only had the 660s for less than 24hrs so not yet....but I usually like to keeps things fairly uncomplicated...my main rig is a CD player straight to a SS head-amp...no computers, no EQing, no fussing with tubes or whatnots...
But even still ...since having the 580s, 600 and 650s (x3) in and out off my system for almost 2 decades the 660S appear to offer IMHO an upgrade as far as "my preferences" are concerned.
Then again it's a new toy...so as we are all so painfully aware of once you spend a bit of time in this hobby...things change....in the meantime Underworld is sounding really good...better than I recall on the 600/650s.:)
No computers and No EQing - Love It!

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #2,284 of 9,628
When listening to the Clear, it's obvious that there is more resolution and extension but when switching to the 660s, after a very brief acclimation period, there is a nice feeling of relaxation, almost relief.

I know that feeling, I think it’s due to the very clean and even treble response on the HD 660 S. There is no added edge to the treble. I’ve heard a lot of headphones, very very few have a treble presentation that creates a sense of relief like the HD 650 or HD 660 S can.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,285 of 9,628
I know that feeling, I think it’s due to the very clean and even treble response on the HD 660 S. I’ve heard a lot of headphones, very very few have a treble presentation that creates a sense of relief like the HD 650 or HD 660 S can.
Agree, also the midrange timbre is so natural with the HD6--. After listening to them for a while, then switching to most flagships I have to adjust to a kind of shouty quality. Very slightly like speaking through a megaphone vs an unamplified voice.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #2,286 of 9,628
Comes with age... : )

There will continue to be some subtle changes with more use but the overall signature I believe is safe to comment on…the 660s while sounding newer and fresher appear to continue the 600 series tradition, that being nothing really outstanding, no 800 sound staging or Audeze base, in fact the overall presentation IMHO is rather balanced, base is there when needed and well defined, the 600 midrange is maintained but augmented by a much more open top end (veilless?) …sound-staging is more than adequate and depth is a bit more obvious over its older siblings….. the newer offering is not really there to impress but to reproduce the recording in a straight up matter of fact fashion.

Scalability has been thrown around but only due to fact the 300ohm 600/650 just needs all that much more juice to get their mojo working, the 660s don’t have this problem… in direct comparison they may run into difficulty at extreme volumes but that’s par for the coarse with more efficient drivers. On the other hand while the 660s sounds fine at reasonable to loud volumes it also offers (going by memory) in comparison to its older siblings a more rewarding listen IMHO at lower volumes. This better efficiency obviously lends its self to portable music players, the $5000 Bryston combo may max out the subtleties and sophistication the 660s may be capable of from recordings but even my little Fiio X3II dap is non too shabby… but in direct comparison just don’t expect the same grain free performance…but not bad. :):):)

I have a habit of listening to full albums, here’s the list so far on the 660S.

Kraftwerk, “Computer World” re-mastered from the Catalogue
Klaus Schulze, “Beyond Recall”
Giovanni Battista Pergolesi “Stabat Mater” , Harmonia Mundi
Feist, “The Reminder”
Carmina Burana… Medieval Songs, Clemencic Consort
Bill Lasswell , “Sacred System, Nagual Site” and "Hear no Evil"

Rob80b,
Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone! Great to hear that “the newer offering is not really there to impress but to reproduce the recording in a straight up matter of fact fashion” comment, would you agree that the HD 660 S lets you listen to the music instead of listening to the headphone? The goal was to avoid the hype and gimmicks, and just have really good sound all around.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #2,287 of 9,628
Rob80b,
............ would you agree that the HD 660 S lets you listen to the music instead of listening to the headphone? The goal was to avoid the hype and gimmicks, and just have really good sound all around.

I know you would like me to say yes...and..yes it is...I can't remember the last time I kept a pair of phones on for so long and I've been in this hobby for a very long time, been listening since first thing this morning in my shop...they just appear to get out of the way...so far I'm really enjoying all the different genres of music with them...no hype or gimmicks, unnecessary romanticizing.... so congrats to the Sennheiser team, at least in my books, at offering us a worthy successor to the 650s : ) .. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,288 of 9,628
The goal was to avoid the hype and gimmicks, and just have really good sound all around.
There was a bit of understatement by you (you=Sennheiser) in presenting the 660S, but I think it's one of the best headphone you ever made in terms of overall "musicality", fun and correctness.

(the next understated gems are imho the 579 - you really hided good sound in this "second" 5xx headphone - and the closed astonishing hd569)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,289 of 9,628
All I/we can say to that is a big Thank You! So glad you enjoy!

@Rob80b, hope you don’t mind, but we liked your impressions so much we linked directly to them on our Sponsor Page (in our signature field of all our posts here)! Thanks to you too! We can say whatever we want, but it means a lot coming from the community itself (you)! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #2,290 of 9,628
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #2,291 of 9,628
All I/we can say to that is a big Thank You! So glad you enjoy!

@Rob80b, hope you don’t mind, but we liked your impressions so much we linked directly to them on our Sponsor Page (in our signature field of all our posts here)! Thanks to you too! We can say whatever we want, but it means a lot coming from the community itself (you)! :beerchug:

No problem...

Just to add..I really liked the HD700s but an hour or two on the edge of my seat was more than sufficient, the HD600/650s as good as they are always had me meandering after less than an hour or so, my HD800S are fabulous and a real night at the concert hall but I like to go home after the performance… I think these 660s may be by far the best all rounder on Sennheiser’s current higher end offering, so far they have a unique way of grabbing ones attention, well at least mine and sustaining my interest in the music over an extended period of time...and again in my books.. says a lot.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2,293 of 9,628
No problem...

Just to add..I really liked the HD700s but an hour or two on the edge of my seat was more than sufficient, the HD600/650s as good as they are always had me meandering after less than an hour or so, my HD800S are fabulous and a real night at the concert hall but I like to go home after the performance… I think these 660s may be by far the best all rounder on Sennheiser’s current higher end offering, so far they have a unique way of grabbing ones attention, well at least mine and sustaining my interest in the music over an extended period of time...and again in my books.. says a lot.
A response direct from Sennheiser, very nice! Good to know they are listening.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #2,294 of 9,628
Agree, also the midrange timbre is so natural with the HD6--. After listening to them for a while, then switching to most flagships I have to adjust to a kind of shouty quality. Very slightly like speaking through a megaphone vs an unamplified voice.

The midrange timbre is truly excellent. And the HD 660 S does have a certain musicality to it the previous HD 600 and HD 650 didn’t have. So an overall improvement to the predecessors to me despite finding the upper mids a bit on the rough side to my ears. Midrange timbre and tonality is honestly the reason I don’t like branching out away from Sennheisers or Beyers(treble may have to be toned down though) as so few others can get the midrange right.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #2,295 of 9,628
Can anyone advise me how hd660s compare with hifiman edition x v2?
I might be able to get an used edition x v2?
thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back