Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #2,236 of 9,628
This reflects my thoughts exactly. In addition I would say that although the upsurge in interest in headphones in general is probably good thing (at least people are listening to music more!), I regret that headphone manufactures are inevitably being pressured into producing new models at an ever increasing pace. I can foresee many downsides to that, as I'm sure you can..........

The interest is a good thing. I mean I do like there are so many headphones, but it's really going back in time with some of the greats of old that made me realize there hasn't really been progress. The bass heavy R10 is still the best thing I ever had the pleasure of listening to. Sadly I have become a bit disillusioned with the HD 660 S overtime. Sadly my reference headphone which I left alone for a while have ruined them for me.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #2,237 of 9,628
The interest is a good thing. I mean I do like there are so many headphones, but it's really going back in time with some of the greats of old that made me realize there hasn't really been progress. The bass heavy R10 is still the best thing I ever had the pleasure of listening to. Sadly I have become a bit disillusioned with the HD 660 S overtime. Sadly my reference headphone which I left alone for a while have ruined them for me.

Is the R10 your reference?

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #2,242 of 9,628
Graininess? That's how Tyll described it. (In the HD 660 S)

Yep grain. The problem with the DT 480 it's so grain-free and transparent any issues in terms of grain or distortion are very obvious on other headphones despite the DT 480s resonance issues(why I modded it, to control the resonances). I did hear it compared to the Amiron, but the DT 480 made it unbearable.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #2,243 of 9,628
Yep grain. The problem with the DT 480 it's so grain-free and transparent any issues in terms of grain or distortion are very obvious on other headphones despite the DT 480s resonance issues(why I modded it, to control the resonances). I did hear it compared to the Amiron, but the DT 480 made it unbearable.

Good to know. A confirmed opinion from another experienced pair of ears is useful - thanks!

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #2,244 of 9,628
I might just do that! Of course, listening oneself is the only way to know if you like something, and I'm glad for you that you like yours. However, I feel it's accurate to point out that any 'technical-up-to-dateness' which you perceive is self induced (placebo). The facts are that Sennheiser has taken a headphone housing which dates fro the 90's (6XX series - nothing wrong with that) and a driver from another older headphone (HD700 - nothing wrong with that either) and modified the baffle from the 90's design ever so slightly to accommodate the different driver. Not exactly a new technically up to date innovation - just extremely good business practice. Nothing wrong with that either, as long as you think it sounds OK. Technically better than it's predecessors? Very slightly extended frequency response range? Very slightly less THD? You can't hear those things. If you think it sounds better then it does, but it's not because it's more technically up to date.

What annoys me more about the HD 660 S than anything though (and again, irrelevant if someone thinks it sounds OK) is the way that Sennheiser (a company which I love, btw!) is marketing this bin part headphone. 'The legend continues' - that immediately makes me suspect the opposite. And why is it that every recent new release from Sennheiser has to have the 'S' suffix? If I was being cynical I would accuse Sennheiser of cheap marketing. But the thing that takes the biscuit for me is the 'Hi-Res' sticker on the box. I'm afraid that hi-Res is just a load of BS and Sennheiser surely knows it. Many people on this forum probably don't know it, but it is, I'm afraid, just marketing BS.

I'm sorry, pietcux - this rant is not directed at you - your mention of the new hp being technically up to date just lit the fuse! If you want to know why Hi-Res (and to a large extent most considerations of what the latest technology is) is just BS, have a look at this:-

PS I sincerely hope you continue to enjoy your new cans! :)

Watch to the end! :wink:

Once again we have a "Clown" talking out of his @#% making broad statements about whether bit file size is audible

The bottom line is you have to preface what you're saying, about this, is dependent on what type of music is being recorded & the recording technique that was used. He could be right about the differences not being perceptible in the music HE has recorded., but it's more about the general circumstances of what was recorded & how.. No differences in file sizes ?......... Nonsense !!!

The "Truth is in the Pudding" (& this would be why I avoid listening to most Popular Music; Too much Mediocrity in recording attitudes). Wait a minute did he say "In my recordings?", In which case......Nevermind ! (He,he,he..... & Sennheiser has a habit of "voicing" their Headphones to "Dumb down" the technical capabilities of the drivers they're using to cater to General Recording Mediocrity)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #2,245 of 9,628
Good to know. A confirmed opinion from another experienced pair of ears is useful - thanks!

No problem, while I don't agree with Tyll on a lot of things, I'm beginning to think he is right about these headphones. I like the midrange presentation and how upfront they are, but it seems so many headphones struggle to do that without causing grain in the region. I was thinking it could be my system but I tried them recently on my friends systems for an extended amount of time and it was still there.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #2,246 of 9,628
I might just do that! Of course, listening oneself is the only way to know if you like something, and I'm glad for you that you like yours. However, I feel it's accurate to point out that any 'technical-up-to-dateness' which you perceive is self induced (placebo). The facts are that Sennheiser has taken a headphone housing which dates fro the 90's (6XX series - nothing wrong with that) and a driver from another older headphone (HD700 - nothing wrong with that either) and modified the baffle from the 90's design ever so slightly to accommodate the different driver. Not exactly a new technically up to date innovation - just extremely good business practice. Nothing wrong with that either, as long as you think it sounds OK. Technically better than it's predecessors? Very slightly extended frequency response range? Very slightly less THD? You can't hear those things. If you think it sounds better then it does, but it's not because it's more technically up to date.

What annoys me more about the HD 660 S than anything though (and again, irrelevant if someone thinks it sounds OK) is the way that Sennheiser (a company which I love, btw!) is marketing this bin part headphone. 'The legend continues' - that immediately makes me suspect the opposite. And why is it that every recent new release from Sennheiser has to have the 'S' suffix? If I was being cynical I would accuse Sennheiser of cheap marketing. But the thing that takes the biscuit for me is the 'Hi-Res' sticker on the box. I'm afraid that hi-Res is just a load of BS and Sennheiser surely knows it. Many people on this forum probably don't know it, but it is, I'm afraid, just marketing BS.

I'm sorry, pietcux - this rant is not directed at you - your mention of the new hp being technically up to date just lit the fuse! If you want to know why Hi-Res (and to a large extent most considerations of what the latest technology is) is just BS, have a look at this:-

PS I sincerely hope you continue to enjoy your new cans! :)

Watch to the end! :wink:

I think you completely missed my point. Sorry I cannot write so eloquent in English, it is not my mother tounge. I bought the headphone directly from Sennheiser as it was first available. No reviews, no graphs had been published so far. Why did I buy it? Because the HD6XX line has a few things to it which I consider complet or final. One thing is the housing, not only comfort wise(it fits my large earlobes), but also design wise. I am a Bauhaus design fan. Form follows function. The HD650 follows that tradition perfectly imho. The second thing is the sound that manifested in form of the HD580 already, but cannot be found in the HD700/800. They are quite different. I consider the HD700 diver as up to date technology in regards of dynamic drivers, only the housing and tuning was off the lovely route that the HD580/600/650 represent. To marry the HD700 driver with the HD650 housing is the best thing they could make imho. The result is the best open middle class dynamic headphone available imho.That is exactly what I want, to me the made the HD6XX series up to date with this simple but effective move. The perfect chassis got a modern engine, now it can be considered as up to date. The addition of the balanced cable that exactly fits my Sony DAP is the icing on the cake for me.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #2,247 of 9,628
Once again we have a "Clown" talking out of his @#% making broad statements about whether bit file size is audible

The bottom line is you have to preface what you're saying, about this, is dependent on what type of music is being recorded & the recording technique that was used. He could be right about the differences not being perceptible in the music HE has recorded., but it's more about the general circumstances of what was recorded & how.. No differences in file sizes ?......... Nonsense !!!

The "Truth is in the Pudding" (& this would be why I avoid listening to most Popular Music; Too much Mediocrity in recording attitudes). Wait a minute did he say "In my recordings?", In which case......Nevermind !

He did say that audiophiles can tell the difference between ordinary mp3 and full rate, but the truth is that it's very hard, although I would agree not impossible, to tell the difference in the vast majority of available recordings between 320kbs and full rate (try the test for yourself). I would defy anyone to tell the difference between full rate and Hi-Res in a blind test. BUT, I know this is never going to be an accepted opinion on here, so I shut up now. :) Oh, and if you think he's a clown you need to check him out better! :wink: And what do you have to say about the latter part of the video when he was talking about record producers?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #2,248 of 9,628
No problem, while I don't agree with Tyll on a lot of things, I'm beginning to think he is right about these headphones. I like the midrange presentation and how upfront they are, but it seems so many headphones struggle to do that without causing grain in the region. I was thinking it could be my system but I tried them recently on my friends systems for an extended amount of time and it was still there.

Thanks again for your replies. And, just for the record, I don't always agree with Tyll either(!), but I do have a good idea of where he's coming from and therefore I find his reviews useful. Always good though to have a specific point confirmed. :)

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #2,249 of 9,628
I think you completely missed my point. Sorry I cannot write so eloquent in English, it is not my mother tounge. I bought the headphone directly from Sennheiser as it was first available. No reviews, no graphs had been published so far. Why die I buy it? Because the HD6XX line has a few things to it which I consider complet or final. One thing is the housing, not only comfort wise(it fits my large earlobes), but also design wise. I am a Bauhaus design fan. Form follows function. The HD650 follows that tradition perfectly imho. The second thing is the sound that manifested in form of the HD580 already, but cannot be found in the HD700/800. They are quite different. I consider the HD700 diver as up to date technology in regards of dynamic drivers, only the housing and tuning was off the lovely route that the HD580/600/650 represent. To marry the HD700 driver with the HD650 housing is the best thing they could make imho. The result is the best open middle class dynamic headphone available imho.That is exactly what I want, to me the made the HD6XX series up to date with this simple but effective move. The perfect chassis got a modern engine, now it can be considered as up to date. The addition of the balanced cable that exactly fits my Sony DAP is the icing on the cake for me.

Glad you're enjoying them! :beerchug:

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #2,250 of 9,628
Thanks again for your replies. And, just for the record, I don't always agree with Tyll either(!), but I do have a good idea of where he's coming from and therefore I find his reviews useful. Always good though to have a specific point confirmed. :)

Have you had the chance to hear the HD 660 S? I do see better where he is coming from than in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back