Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 19, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #2,011 of 9,628
But would you say that being brighter, the hd660 also sound thinner than the hd600?

Got that the bass on the 660s is better but what about quantity/presence/punch? Wich one hás more? :)

Anyway.... I think i will pass. I AM more and more tempted on the hd650 and since i already had some tinitus effect at first with the hd600, the hd660 may br even worse (weird, never had this kind of issue before the hd600 and ibalso had the dt770 80ohm, mdr v6, and other brightish cans).

Also, given that i want the hd600 sound but a bit more Fuller and bassier sounding i think the hd650 is the way to go for me.... That and the price....

I think you’re mistaking that darker always equals less fatigue. That’s not always the case in my experience, it’s fidelity I found is the bigger determinate of fatigue. A better system will actually help with fatigue due to better control, less grain, and you may be less tempted to turn the volume as high due to a fuller more substantial sound. The HD 650 will be less fatiguing than the HD 600. There are two reasons the Hd 650 is less fatiguing than the HD 600, one is it’s actually slightly higher fidelity than the HD 600 and second it’s a bit darker. I personally find the HD 660 S less fatiguing than either and to me it has more body than the HD 600. A good example of brightness not always equaling fatigue is my Beyer Amiron Home is brighter than any of the HD 6xx yet it’s less fatiguing than any of them. The HD 800 and HD 800 S are also less fatiguing to my ears.

I actually had a bit of the slight tinnitus effect in the past, it was the worst when I had the HD 600 and Nighthawks actually. Getting the Amiron Home and the DT 480 are the headphones that solved it for me. The HD 660 S also doesn’t aggravate my ears, at least on my system.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #2,012 of 9,628
But would you say that being brighter, the hd660 also sound thinner than the hd600?

Got that the bass on the 660s is better but what about quantity/presence/punch? Wich one hás more? :)

Anyway.... I think i will pass. I AM more and more tempted on the hd650 and since i already had some tinitus effect at first with the hd600, the hd660 may br even worse (weird, never had this kind of issue before the hd600 and ibalso had the dt770 80ohm, mdr v6, and other brightish cans).

Also, given that i want the hd600 sound but a bit more Fuller and bassier sounding i think the hd650 is the way to go for me.... That and the price....
Pedro, sorry but the Tinitus is caused by listening to too loud noise or music for long periods. And all headphones can worsen your Tinitus if you go on listening too loud. A friend of mine had to quit headphones completely and is now only listening to speakers on low volumes. He is a big Electronica fan.

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #2,013 of 9,628
I would not describe as thin the sound of 660S.

The bass is better and faster. It's just a brightness I can't deal with it.

You should try if you're so interested. I think 660S are great, but not for every taste. This is very personal and subjective.

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,014 of 9,628
Pedro, sorry but the Tinitus is caused by listening to too loud noise or music for long periods. And all headphones can worsen your Tinitus if you go on listening too loud. A friend of mine had to quit headphones completely and is now only listening to speakers on low volumes. He is a big Electronica fan.
It was like a buzzing effect on my ears. Not really tinitus. But it was very annoyibg and unbereable at first.

This was caused after 5minutes of only listening through an ipad at 40/45 % volume.. Not loud at all.

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2,015 of 9,628
I think you’re mistaking that darker always equals less fatigue. That’s not always the case in my experience, it’s fidelity I found is the bigger determinate of fatigue. A better system will actually help with fatigue due to better control, less grain, and you may be less tempted to turn the volume as high due to a fuller more substantial sound. The HD 650 will be less fatiguing than the HD 600. There are two reasons the Hd 650 is less fatiguing than the HD 600, one is it’s actually slightly higher fidelity than the HD 600 and second it’s a bit darker. I personally find the HD 660 S less fatiguing than either and to me it has more body than the HD 600. A good example of brightness not always equaling fatigue is my Beyer Amiron Home is brighter than any of the HD 6xx yet it’s less fatiguing than any of them. The HD 800 and HD 800 S are also less fatiguing to my ears.

I actually had a bit of the slight tinnitus effect in the past, it was the worst when I had the HD 600 and Nighthawks actually. Getting the Amiron Home and the DT 480 are the headphones that solved it for me. The HD 660 S also doesn’t aggravate my ears, at least on my system.

For a relatively inexpensive investment ($150 U.S.) the Schiit Loki does a pretty respectable job of sound tailoring ones personal quibbles about a headphones "imperfections". Just sayin'.

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,016 of 9,628
For a relatively inexpensive investment ($150 U.S.) the Schiit Loki does a pretty respectable job of sound tailoring ones personal quibbles about a headphones "imperfections". Just sayin'.

True especially where an equalizer isn’t an option. If using a computer, EqualizerAPO is a good free option. Though the inherent fidelity potential of a driver can’t be increased only better realized. Though the Loki seems appealing as I’m more of a purist when it comes to audio and prefer getting the right headphones, finding system synergy, or modding.

Jan 19, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,017 of 9,628
True especially where an equalizer isn’t an option. If using a computer, EqualizerAPO is a good free option. Though the inherent fidelity potential of a driver can’t be increased only better realized. Though the Loki seems appealing as I’m more of a purist when it comes to audio and prefer getting the right headphones, finding system synergy, or modding.

I know what you mean about being purist, as well as, trying to find the "right" headphone but the problem is it's not always easy to audition headphones especially using your own gear so you're headphone buying decisions tend to be largely based on others opinions. I find that the Loki is quite capable of tweaking the sound just enough to take away or add allowing for a more comfortable and pleasing experience. I find that only minor adjustments are required.

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #2,018 of 9,628
So, the hd660s are a succesor to the hd650, but you can't understand how they can be an update to the hd650. Then, the hd660s are more forward than the hd660s.
Dude, were you even awake when you were writing that?
I think he meant to say the HD660s are a successor to the HD600, not the HD650. Just a typo!

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #2,019 of 9,628
Have you heard the latest Massdrop HD6XX version? They sound like the HD650 but a bit more sparkly in the high frequencies.

It's funny you mention the 6XX. I own one of the "first-generation" HD650 that I got back in 2005. I got the HD6XX version from Massdrop late last year. The HD6XX do sound different (more treble) than the original HD650 I own, but I have never heard a successive (second-generation or later) iteration of the HD650, so if the HD6XX is indeed different from the (second-generation or later) HD650, I have no basis for comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #2,020 of 9,628
It's funny you mention the 6XX. I own one of the "first-generation" HD650 that I got back in 2005. I got the HD6XX version from Massdrop late last year. The HD6XX do sound different (more treble) than the original HD650 I own, but I have never heard a successive (second-generation or later) iteration of the HD650, so if the HD6XX is indeed different from the (second-generation or later) HD650, I have no basis for comparison.

What I wanted was a headphone that sounded exactly like the HD650 and I thought the HD6XX would be that headphone. We have a Lake People G109S amplifier that has 2 headphone outputs which permits my wife and I to both listen simultaneously with our own headphones and hear exactly the same sound from either headphone. Fortunately both are 300 ohm and the HD6XX definitely has an HD650 sound to it (although slightly brighter in the high frequencies) so it is acceptable. Just not what we expected.

I'm not sure but am wondering whether Sennheiser has intentionally re-tuned the HD6XX to appease the "veil" critics. What would be interesting to do is compare a current new HD650 with a 3 year old (like mine) HD650.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #2,021 of 9,628
So, the hd660s are a succesor to the hd650, but you can't understand how they can be an update to the hd650. Then, the hd660s are more forward than the hd660s.
Dude, were you even awake when you were writing that?

LOL, in the context of the entire post, it was pretty clear to me he meant to say the HD 660S are a successor to the HD 600 in his view. That would be consistent with every other observation he wrote. :)

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,022 of 9,628
I just recently picked up the 660s and have to say so far I absolutely love them. There is a rhythmic coherence that is kind of addictive. Not noticing any over-brightness at all.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #2,025 of 9,628
Well that's encouraging as I was almost tempted to cancel my back-order from November : ( .....maybe I will wait a little longer. : )
Music Direct has them in stock. You could have one on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back