Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 20, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #2,026 of 9,585
Music Direct has them in stock. You could have one on Tuesday.

Remember I'm in Canada so with our $, duty and taxes it gets silly so I'm playing cheapo as I lucked into that Amazon.ca one day deal back in November which worked out less than anywhere else even with the exchange.
....they may actually be in next week....we'll see.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2,027 of 9,585
I just recently picked up the 660s and have to say so far I absolutely love them. There is a rhythmic coherence that is kind of addictive. Not noticing any over-brightness at all.
So Donlin, while I'm waiting...seeing that you liked the HD700s at one point......what is your take on the 660s in direct comparison to the 650s...
1. Not an update just a different phone.....as was the 700s.
2. Improvements all round but retaining the best of the 650s....therefore better extension and definition in the base and treble.
3. Better all rounder lets say than the 800/Ss...my main reason for picking them up because as good as my 800S are their sound staging actual works against them for some recordings.
4. or....."The king is dead, long live the king".... as in the last 2 years I've actual bought and tried 4 different pairs of HD650s, 2 used, one new and the HD6XXs... and as much as I tried they eventual loose my interest...I like the fit and form factor, their appealing presentation is probably excellent for long listening sessions but in the end sounding too dated and a touch too polite for my preferences ....so as the 660s are being reported as being brighter, cleaner etc. etc they just might be the ticket.
5...all the above.....just to confuse the issue... : )

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #2,028 of 9,585
So Donlin, while I'm waiting...seeing that you liked the HD700s at one point......what is your take on the 660s in direct comparison to the 650s...
1. Not an update just a different phone.....as was the 700s.
2. Improvements all round but retaining the best of the 650s....therefore better extension and definition in the base and treble.
3. Better all rounder lets say than the 800/Ss...my main reason for picking them up because as good as my 800S are their sound staging actual works against them for some recordings.
4. or....."The king is dead, long live the king".... as in the last 2 years I've actual bought and tried 4 different pairs of HD650s, 2 used, one new and the HD6XXs... and as much as I tried they eventual loose my interest...I like the fit and form factor, their appealing presentation is probably excellent for long listening sessions but in the end sounding too dated and a touch too polite for my preferences ....so as the 660s are being reported as being brighter, cleaner etc. etc they just might be the ticket.
5...all the above.....just to confuse the issue... : )
Wow, that’s a very well thought out question!
I would say probably 2 and 4 are true and I would strongly agree with 3. Regarding option 2, a lot of people are saying it’s more of an HD600 upgrade rather than HD650. I haven’t listened to an HD600 since that day in 2004 when I got my first pair of HD650’s. So it very well may be closer to 600 than 650 but it’s definitely well within the HD6- - family sonically which rules out option 1. I had the HD800S for close to a year and the 660s, for me, is a way more enjoyable headphone. Right now I’m liking the 660 quite a bit more than the 650, which is hard for me to imagine. It may be premature, but that means for now option 4 is true. I’ve been really high on the Focal Clear for the past few months. It’s obviously better technically than the 660s with more resolution, and extension at both ends but there is a cohesive, easy to listen to yet very involving sound from 660s which is causing it to have more head time right now. Also the Sennheiser midrange is something nobody else seems to be able to top. When I go back and forth between Clear and 660s, I feel like I can understand the concept of pace, rhythm and timing for the first time. The Clear just feels pulled apart and slow in comparison.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,029 of 9,585
Wow, that’s a very well thought out question!
I would say probably 2 and 4 are true and I would strongly agree with 3. Regarding option 2, a lot of people are saying it’s more of an HD600 upgrade rather than HD650. I haven’t listened to an HD600 since that day in 2004 when I got my first pair of HD650’s. So it very well may be closer to 600 than 650 but it’s definitely well within the HD6- - family sonically which rules out option 1. I had the HD800S for close to a year and the 660s, for me, is a way more enjoyable headphone. Right now I’m liking the 660 quite a bit more than the 650, which is hard for me to imagine. It may be premature, but that means for now option 4 is true. I’ve been really high on the Focal Clear for the past few months. It’s obviously better technically than the 660s with more resolution, and extension at both ends but there is a cohesive, easy to listen to yet very involving sound from 660s which is causing it to have more head time right now. Also the Sennheiser midrange is something nobody else seems to be able to top. When I go back and forth between Clear and 660s, I feel like I can understand the concept of pace, rhythm and timing for the first time. The Clear just feels pulled apart and slow in comparison.

The Sennheiser midrange is really hard to top, I’ve only heard a couple headphones do it better. Of the HD 6xx family, the HD 660S does the midrange the best to my ears, it’s by far the best in the series in terms of PRaT imho, the HD 600 and HD 650 didn’t sound quite as right here and I found the Tesla 2.0 Beyers(DT 1770/1990 and Amiron) did PRaT better than the HD 600/650 whereas the HD 660S is just as good as the Beyers in this aspect. I haven’t heard the Clear yet but interesting you find that the PRaT of HD 660S so good in comparison. I had a similar impression when I compared the Elear to the DT 1990 where the DT 1990 was just much better in that aspect and made the Elear sound a bit off.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #2,030 of 9,585
After several days of listening to these cans through my AVR*, I’m listening on my iPhone, unamped. They are so much better through my iPhone it’s not funny. One of the reasons I bought these over the 650 is because they are slightly easier to drive. I don’t think I’ll ever use them while mobile because they’re leaky, but the iPhone does a spectacular job driving them.

* I’ve got a pre-out on my AVR and a Lyr 2 en route, so hopefully they’ll sound even better soon.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #2,031 of 9,585
........................ I had the HD800S for close to a year and the 660s, for me, is a way more enjoyable headphone. ....................
When I go back and forth between Clear and 660s, I feel like I can understand the concept of pace, rhythm and timing for the first time. The Clear just feels pulled apart and slow in comparison.

Thanks Donlin.....that's quite the compliment on the 660s and as I was actually quite curious about the Clear........ : )

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2,032 of 9,585
Thanks Donlin.....that's quite the compliment on the 660s and as I was actually quite curious about the Clear........ : )
Since you liked the HD700 and almost like the HD650, the 660s may be perfect.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #2,034 of 9,585
And the hate club of the HD 700 probably would dislike 660s...
why would you even post this, this adds nothing to the discussion IMO since you don't say why someone who hates the HD700 would not like the HD660S. Even if its in relation to the post directly above yours you should say why or give some reason even if its just your opinion.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #2,036 of 9,585
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #2,037 of 9,585
Jan 22, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #2,038 of 9,585
why would you even post this, this adds nothing to the discussion IMO since you don't say why someone who hates the HD700 would not like the HD660S. Even if its in relation to the post directly above yours you should say why or give some reason even if its just your opinion.

I'm sorry if I offended you with my light opinion. I will add that I have had in the past 4 years HD 600, 650, 700 and 660S.

I don't like bright headphones, and 700 was a torture for me. 660S is much better (in my opinion) but it shares some of it's "spirit", again in my humble opinion.

But of course my affirmation was unfair. 660S is a great headphone, I'm sorry to said that in a rude way.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #2,039 of 9,585
@king conan, thanks for the reply and explanation of your previous post, we're good. Sorry to hear that you didn't like the HD700 since I'm one that is not bothered by the 6khz peak but am bothered by the 4-5khz peak of the HD600 so I can understand where you are coming from since we all hear differently. I still have my HD650 and HD700 but after listening to the HD660S a few times consider it a great sounding headphone for those that don't want to deal with DACs and amps but I'm still more a fan of the HD650 since I have a decent amp (BH Crack) to drive the HD650.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,040 of 9,585
I just ran a scamcheck on racumart.com. checkout the link below. Be careful everyone

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/racumart.com

The address oddly is literally less than 5 minutes from my home ?????..tried calling only to say it is private domain blah blah........

"96 Mowat Ave
Owner City: Toronto
Owner Postcode: M4K 3K1
Phone Number: +1.4165385487
ca.png
"

otherwise the actual site says California
Warehouse : 38 Teresa St San Francisco California US 94112
Email : info@racumart.com
Phone : 4155042460

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread