Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 3, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #1,366 of 9,628
Hi there.

I have a pair of Beyer DT 1990, the best cans I've tried so far, astonishing for energic genres, with a perfect bass quality and quantity for my taste, great mids and a bit hot but highly enjoyable treble with great detail and extension, bomb-proof build quality and great design...

...But, to be honest, there's a few design flaws that put it away from my personal perfection.

One is the clamping force, it could be not exagerated depending somebody else's criteria, but it's noticeable for my head and a bit uncomfortable in the long term listening.

The other is the cable jacket, that constantly push on my left shoulder and it's more annoying than I'd noticed before.

Also, as much as I like how these sound, I find myself more often than usual turning the volume knob up and down depending the song, these definitely aren't the best headphones for low-medium listening volumes comparing with their awesome performance in highest ones, with lots of energy, speed and dynamic sound, perfect with almost every genre I've throwed to them, from electronic and metal, to classical, progressive rock and accoustic jazz, and everything between. Maybe the soundstage size is a bit modest with the balanced pads, too.

Previously I had tried an HD 569 and loved the form factor and comfort. The clamping force was a little bit tight (though not my DT-1990's tight), but the cup shape was perfect suited for my ears compared to the rounded form of the Beyers, so I'm naturaly interested in the HD 660 S.

I know there's no comparison between the build quality and overall presentation, the Beyer is a league above or two, and sonical there's will be differences too, but comfort is a no brainer for me and the HD 660 S seems to be more comparable to the HD 569 in the comfort department, as they've the same design.

Anybody here has both HD 660 S and DT 1990 (tested with analytical and balanced pads) to compare? Seems like the Sennheiser would be a nice comprise between sound quality and comfort.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #1,367 of 9,628
Hi all,

Been following this topic with great interest, mainly because i wish to add this 660s to my gear.
Question is : anyone with the Senn HD 660s compared it with the Shure SRH 1840 ?

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #1,368 of 9,628
Hi all,

Been following this topic with great interest, mainly because i wish to add this 660s to my gear.
Question is : anyone with the Senn HD 660s compared it with the Shure SRH 1840 ?
I might be able to help you with this in a week or two since a friend is getting a HD660S some time next week and I have a SRH-1840. FWIW I like the SRH-1840 over my HD650 and HD600 (sold).

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #1,369 of 9,628
Hi there.

I have a pair of Beyer DT 1990, the best cans I've tried so far, astonishing for energic genres, with a perfect bass quality and quantity for my taste, great mids and a bit hot but highly enjoyable treble with great detail and extension, bomb-proof build quality and great design...

...But, to be honest, there's a few design flaws that put it away from my personal perfection.

One is the clamping force, it could be not exagerated depending somebody else's criteria, but it's noticeable for my head and a bit uncomfortable in the long term listening.

The other is the cable jacket, that constantly push on my left shoulder and it's more annoying than I'd noticed before.

Also, as much as I like how these sound, I find myself more often than usual turning the volume knob up and down depending the song, these definitely aren't the best headphones for low-medium listening volumes comparing with their awesome performance in highest ones, with lots of energy, speed and dynamic sound, perfect with almost every genre I've throwed to them, from electronic and metal, to classical, progressive rock and accoustic jazz, and everything between. Maybe the soundstage size is a bit modest with the balanced pads, too.

Previously I had tried an HD 569 and loved the form factor and comfort. The clamping force was a little bit tight (though not my DT-1990's tight), but the cup shape was perfect suited for my ears compared to the rounded form of the Beyers, so I'm naturaly interested in the HD 660 S.

I know there's no comparison between the build quality and overall presentation, the Beyer is a league above or two, and sonical there's will be differences too, but comfort is a no brainer for me and the HD 660 S seems to be more comparable to the HD 569 in the comfort department, as they've the same design.

Anybody here has both HD 660 S and DT 1990 (tested with analytical and balanced pads) to compare? Seems like the Sennheiser would be a nice comprise between sound quality and comfort.
First of all, the DT1990 is a fantastic headphone. The best Beyer that I heard so far. As I got them I thought, this is the HD650 successor that Sennheiser refuses to do. Why, because the DT1990 can be driven by portable devices without sounding dull and it has no treble peak, so it is enjoyable for longer listening sessions. Now we got the HD660S, which does exactly what I wanted them to do with the HD6xx series, it sounds awesome out of portable devices. Easier to drive than the DT1990 and more balanced like the HD line is known for. The bass is more exact, the treble are more detailed than the HD650 again on mobile devices.
The clamping force out of the box is equal to the DT1990 though. I think that is because professionals require a more tight fit from their headphones. But that can be adjusted easily. The pads are oval, hence have a better fit for my ears too.
Bottom line the HD660S to me is a little better than the very good DT1990. More so from my Sony WM1A DAP than from my Meier Audio Jazz FF amp.

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,370 of 9,628
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,371 of 9,628
First of all, the DT1990 is a fantastic headphone. The best Beyer that I heard so far. As I got them I thought, this is the HD650 successor that Sennheiser refuses to do. Why, because the DT1990 can be driven by portable devices without sounding dull and it has no treble peak, so it is enjoyable for longer listening sessions. Now we got the HD660S, which does exactly what I wanted them to do with the HD6xx series, it sounds awesome out of portable devices. Easier to drive than the DT1990 and more balanced like the HD line is known for. The bass is more exact, the treble are more detailed than the HD650 again on mobile devices.
The clamping force out of the box is equal to the DT1990 though. I think that is because professionals require a more tight fit from their headphones. But that can be adjusted easily. The pads are oval, hence have a better fit for my ears too.
Bottom line the HD660S to me is a little better than the very good DT1990. More so from my Sony WM1A DAP than from my Meier Audio Jazz FF amp.
That’s pretty high praise for the HD660S’s that you think they sound better than the DT1990’s. Now I’m interested. I wasn’t a fan of the HD650’s but if the HD660S’s are on the level of the DT1990’s now we’re talking. Thanks for the comparison.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,372 of 9,628
I was just looking at the graph for the DT1990, and there does look like it has a treble peak at 7 -8000hz, this has kept me from buying them. https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt-1990-pro/
I know these graphs and others. But luckily I was able to buy the DT1990 before the graphs where available. The treble is emphasized but not hot piercing like some other cans that I owned. I can afford to take some loss when I resell a piece of gear that I dislike, so I like to listen myself rather than studying graphs and reviews. The DT1770 ,DT1990 and HD660S are all modern cans with fast drivers that are interesting for a lot of people on HeadFi. Just give them a try and the time they need to shine for you.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,373 of 9,628
The treble is emphasized but not hot pearcing like some other cans that I owned.
I can understand that, I have a pair of Beyer Amiron that does have a treble peak, however it is not bothering or piercing as it has a slight warmth to them.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,374 of 9,628

Thanks for the response, really appreciate!

Have you tried the DT 1990 with both pads? How do you think it compares to the HD 660 S in the soundstage extention department and overall sound quality?

The clamping force still reamains a problem for me, though.

I'm also looking for the Amiron too, despite the rounded cup shape, due the lesser clamping force.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,375 of 9,628
Have a second to post....might not be too coherent....

The 1990 is a great headphone overall. Not keeping them any longer though. The ~8k treble peak is mildly fatiguing, but not as much as the 880/990 was. This, combined with the circular pads create hotspots on my ears. Comfort is a 6.5/10, which isn't good enough for me. If beyer used oval pads, it would be night and day. If the headphone was $300-400 USD, I'd keep it.

I can't listen to the 1990 for long periods due to that treble peak, whereas the 800 w or w/o SDR is more listenable....slightly.

650 isn't technically as good, but it's a great overall balance, and is why I'm keeping them.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #1,376 of 9,628
Have a second to post....might not be too coherent....

The 1990 is a great headphone overall. Not keeping them any longer though. The ~8k treble peak is mildly fatiguing, but not as much as the 880/990 was. This, combined with the circular pads create hotspots on my ears. Comfort is a 6.5/10, which isn't good enough for me. If beyer used oval pads, it would be night and day. If the headphone was $300-400 USD, I'd keep it.

I can't listen to the 1990 for long periods due to that treble peak, whereas the 800 w or w/o SDR is more listenable....slightly.

650 isn't technically as good, but it's a great overall balance, and is why I'm keeping them.

THIS, and also a slightly lesser clamping force.

Comfort perfection.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,377 of 9,628
THIS, and also a slightly lesser clamping force.

Comfort perfection.
You can bend the headband section that is cushioned when the Earcup holders are fully extended to reduce the clamp, a simple trick. Can be even undone by bending into the opposite direction.

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #1,378 of 9,628
Must be some real big heads on here!! I have no issue with headband/clamping. Most comfortable headphone I've used.

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #1,379 of 9,628
THD is not that good under 100hz

But overall much better than the 650s

HD660 THD

HD650 THD

Just to add another data point with respect to total harmonic distortion (THD), here's the Sennheiser HD660S THD measurements from here, at both 90 dBSPL and 100 dBSPL. I tried to use a similar Y-axis scale as the ones shown in the above quoted graphs, but had to start a bit lower, as both THD plots in this one went below 0.01%. (If you click on the graph below, you will see it full size -- this may be helpful, as the print along both axes is quite small.)

THD---90-dBSPL-(1-kHz)---100-dBSPL-(1-kHz).jpg

The above THD measurements were made using:

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #1,380 of 9,628
Thanks for the response, really appreciate!

Have you tried the DT 1990 with both pads? How do you think it compares to the HD 660 S in the soundstage extention department and overall sound quality?

The clamping force still reamains a problem for me, though.

I'm also looking for the Amiron too, despite the rounded cup shape, due the lesser clamping force.

The Amiron has easily the least amount of clamping force of the three, it rests on your ears gently but snugly enough as not to move around much. The Amiron is easily the most comfortable of the three to me. The DT 1990 and HD 660S is about the same clamping force wise, but the DT 1990 is a heavier headphone. I personally found the circular pads better suited my ears comfort wise. Neither are bad comfort wise and I can easily wear them for hours. But the clamp on both the Senn HD 6xx line and DT 1990 get to me at times when I’m sensitive. You don’t get the same robust build quality on the Amirons as the DT 1990, it’s nicer than the HD 660S but not DT 1990 nice. Sound wise, that’s personal preference and what system you’re using on the three. Haven’t spent enough time with the HD 660S yet but the Amiron is better sounding than the DT 1990 to me

Not going to lie I’m not really a fan of the Amirons looks, it’s just okay, its really the sound and comfort that won me over. I think the looks of the DT 1990 and HD 660S are notably more appealing to my tastes. I’ve always liked how the HD 6xx series looked and the HD 660S is the best looking one to the bunch to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back