Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 21, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #301 of 9,626
@pietcux do you mind sending your pair to a reviewer named Tyll, I know it would be a hard decision since the honeymooth effect, but overall it would be fast quick, Tyll will do a lightyear fasty brief listening and a measurement and send them back, won't exceed two days. I don't know how to contact Tyll, but I'm sure people here will help that out, Tyll is waiting for a pair urgently to do just a impression but it's impossible to get them now in the US.

Let the poor guy enjoy is new headphones. :D Tyll already has them or will havê them very soon and unlike pietcux and most of us he does not havê to pay for them. :)

Sennheiser is not a newbie. If jude already hás them other reviewers like tyll already havê them as well or are getting them very soon.

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #302 of 9,626
My biggest question is where this headphone is going to lie on the value spectrum. Does this sound like a $500 headphone? Does it punch above its price point? Or is it a marginal upgrade? So many headphones have been released since the initial launch of the HD650, time to see if this new iteration can hang with the new kids
Another question is how does this leaves the hd6x0 line up from a consumer perspective.... Since its a upgrade to the hd650 is it even worth buying the hd650 anymore? Are the 3 different enough to justify owning the all of them? The conscious choice seems to just have the hd660s or the 660s plus 600 since this one is more neutral.

@pietcux

Your hd650s are the poder version or the newer one with silver drivers? Old one was supposed to be more muffled sounding. The newer one is closet to the 600 according to the many posts i havê read.

Can you give as a little more on the bass now? Specially the sub bass. You already saíd it had punchy bass but is the punch much more noticeable compared to you 650s? In terms of rumble, do they make a nice rumbly bass when needed to? Does it go much lower than the hd650?

Cheers

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #303 of 9,626
Another question is how does this leaves the hd6x0 line up from a consumer perspective.... Since its a upgrade to the hd650 is it even worth buying the hd650 anymore? Are the 3 different enough to justify owning the all of them? The conscious choice seems to just have the hd660s or the 660s plus 600 since this one is more neutral.

@pietcux

Your hd650s are the poder version or the newer one with silver drivers? Old one was supposed to be more muffled sounding. The newer one is closet to the 600 according to the many posts i havê read.

Can you give as a little more on the bass now? Specially the sub bass. You already saíd it had punchy bass but is the punch much more noticeable compared to you 650s? In terms of rumble, do they make a nice rumbly bass when needed to? Does it go much lower than the hd650?

Cheers

Since it was described by Sennheiser as the "successor" to the HD650 and has the same MSRP, I think their intention is to discontinue it. Where that leaves the HD600 is yet to be seen. Perhaps Sennheiser feels they are different enough products that they will not cannibalize each others' sales, or maybe a HD600 refresh in the near future dependent on the success of the 660S? If we start to hear rumblings of a Massdrop-branded HD600, we will have our answer :wink:

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #304 of 9,626
Well, if the HD650 price drops to where it should be, I would buy a couple of them in preference to the hd660s I think.

Companies charge too much for many headphones imo.

Once the hd660s is properly out, it’ll be interesting to see how it compares to others at the same price. Sennheiser have the benefit of their name but to me, it kind of resembles the hd650 pretty well as far as the FR goes and the differences might not be worth the price jump......

As usual, time will tell.

I think that the hd580 should have been resurrected.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #305 of 9,626
Oct 21, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #306 of 9,626
I never realised just how much I liked the 580 until one day, I went back to it and in comparison to what I had been using, it really shone.

In the end, the pins started playing up at the bottom of the cups so it was hd600 time, but that 580 was really well balanced tbh.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #307 of 9,626
I have owned many headphones in the $300-$600 range in the last 10 years or so and I find myself always going back the the hd600/650 for overall sound quality and no listening fatigue. I always thought the hd700's sounded better than the hd600's but could not listen to for long periods of time without ear fatigue (same issue with the monoprice 1060 v.2). I found a few headphones that didn't give me any ear fatigue like th akg k712 or the beyerdynamic dt880/600 but preferred the sennheiser sound and really hope the 660s will give better sound without making my ears hurt after 30 min.
I can assure you, I had them on for 7 hours in total Yesterday, to me there is no fatigue at all.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #308 of 9,626
I can assure you, I had them on for 7 hours in total Yesterday, to me there is no fatigue at all.

Alas, He has spoken! What news from the front? What strange new worlds of sonic bliss have you visited? O prophet of the Senns, spare but a word on the 660S's greatness so that we might dream of tasting their sweet nectar!

...in all seriousness, are you enjoying them? :)

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #309 of 9,626
Well, if the HD650 price drops to where it should be, I would buy a couple of them in preference to the hd660s I think.

Companies charge too much for many headphones imo.

Once the hd660s is properly out, it’ll be interesting to see how it compares to others at the same price. Sennheiser have the benefit of their name but to me, it kind of resembles the hd650 pretty well as far as the FR goes and the differences might not be worth the price jump......

As usual, time will tell.

I think that the hd580 should have been resurrected.
I never realised just how much I liked the 580 until one day, I went back to it and in comparison to what I had been using, it really shone.

In the end, the pins started playing up at the bottom of the cups so it was hd600 time, but that 580 was really well balanced tbh.
If I was you, I would try the HD660S before speculating any further. I took my chance to listen before anyone could proper test them and let me tell you it is a pleasure using them unbiased by people who live from testing gear or live from destoying reputation of gear. Come on this is not the TOTL or UberTOTL line. Go get it, take the risk... noone can do this for you, you need to listen.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #310 of 9,626
Alas, He has spoken! What news from the front? What strange new worlds of sonic bliss have you visited? O prophet of the Senns, spare but a word on the 660S's greatness so that we might dream of tasting their sweet nectar!

...in all seriousness, are you enjoying them? :)
I do! Just got the new Angus and Julia Stone album "Snow" ripped it to my Sony WM1A as FLAC and listen to it now with the balanced cable. Volume level is 58 of 120. The drums the voices the guitars... It is all there and all is perfect to me.
Kudos to the team @ Sennheiser finally a perfect successor of whatever you want for a reasonable price. I am sold.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #311 of 9,626
If I was you, I would try the HD660S before speculating any further. I took my chance to listen before anyone could proper test them and let me tell you it is a pleasure using them unbiased by people who live from testing gear or live from destoying reputation of gear. Come on this is not the TOTL or UberTOTL line. Go get it, take the risk... noone can do this for you, you need to listen.

I know exactly what you mean by ‘testers’ and people with opinions. Been looking at many sites and some of the speculation out there is total nonsense really. I have two hd650s and one hd600 so I guess that the hd660s would finish the collection off. :wink:

I use my hd6** with an amp that has built in eq that extends the hd650 bass lower and reduces the mid bass hump. It’s a clever amp called a Kameleon and looking at Jude’s graph, I might well end up needing another filter for this one as well, making it very similar to the hd650 in the end.

I will wait a little while before making a decision I think to see what emerges from all the dust......... :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #312 of 9,626

Hi, I see that you also have the DT-1990. How do they compare? Especially the soundstage and bass.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #313 of 9,626

I must admit that I regret to have sold my HD 580 :wink:

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #314 of 9,626
Can you give as a little more on the bass now? Specially the sub bass.
The graph shows slightly more sub bass, just slightly. What he's said, so far, indicates better bass, faster, more defined, which isn't found on that graph. If you really want sub bass beyond most open headphones, semi-opens like the Philips Fidelio L2 will get there (with more highs than the Sennheiser) or the L1 (with the same or less highs, these are very warm sounding to the point of it lacking detail). The best sub bass response on under $500 USD street priced fully open headphones is the Audio Technica ATH-R70x. They also have the warm high mids of the HD650. In fact they are even more laid back in this area, too much for many. They have a bit less high treble, and a bit more of a narrow high peak that's still not too bad. The sub bass is remarkable though. They do have fit issues for me; not quite enough for my big head, ear pads are a little small. The HD 660S from what I hear will not have that kind of larger sub bass.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #315 of 9,626
Only now I get what people were saying. I didn't look with enough attention at the graph, I thought the 2 lines were the left and right channels of the hd660s. That's why I didn't get the matching thing.
Now that I see the comparison, I'm really clueless, it doesn't make any sense. They are to close, they can't sound so different with such a resembling graph. The major differences are in high freq, where graphs easily can get different from measurement to measurement for the same source. Also, the HD650 don't have the 5kHz peak, they have a huge dip there, and it shows in all dozens of grapshs on the net, they all show more or less the same thing, contrary with this graph. Couldn't you, by mistake, uploaded the left and right channels of the same headphone instead of measurement of the 2 models?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back