Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 14, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #9,241 of 9,628
Yeah, some unhealthy obsession with different shades of gray HD6XXX models.
It's okay mid-fi, nostalgic for some, myself included, but pretty pale comparing to the most new kids on the block.
We've got another reheated soup from Sennheiser, same design, same inferior to everything on the market spring cable connectors, slightly different tuning.
Why it's such a big deal?

Maybe when they charge 1k+ they manage to pull of a build quality as good as Hifiman is doing one day.

:D

Feb 17, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #9,242 of 9,628
This is going to sound ridiculous, but I'm tired of the HD 660s swivel pulling my hair out. Does anyone have any creative solutions to cover up the swivel joint (no, I'm not going to wear a beanie all the time).

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #9,243 of 9,628
This is going to sound ridiculous, but I'm tired of the HD 660s swivel pulling my hair out. Does anyone have any creative solutions to cover up the swivel joint (no, I'm not going to wear a beanie all the time).

If you are not constantly adjusting the headphone, maybe you can put some material to cover these parts? Something like a textile material or in the worst case some tape.

1676699655870.jpeg

I saw this image of the DT1770 on the website, some padding like this textile material, but on the zones that causes you issues might work.

It was never an issue for me, because I’m only wearing short hair..

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #9,244 of 9,628
Those Pads are the Old ones and honestly they need to be changed they are in bad condition, The old ones are already make the sound more Dark so imagine what happens when they are pressed like that.

I am sending u Photos of the Old ones VS the New 2022 Pads ( clear ring ) to see the physical difference new ones are bigger inside taller and different shape, ( about sound the new pads like already say they open soundstage a bit , they lower the high bass also .
I am adding some of my photos to see .
I forgot about this great post because was many months ago but explains a lot.

I received yesterday from Sennheiser Germany shop my pads and I can confirm are the new pads. The packaging has been changed. It now writes sonova the new owners. They are different from the old pads the clear indicator is the clear ring from the back side vs the matte of old ones. I have also the velour Assessory House Global aftermarket and I attach some photos to show the differences among all these pads.

I do not regret buying from Germany at all I paid 32£ price plus 5£ shipping cost no custom fees or whatever. In the UK was 32£ plus 2£ shipping for such a small difference I prefer to buy from the most authoritative shop and I managed to maximise my probability to receive the new pads. Thank you @Rob80b I really appreciate your help on this one. 20230218_100825.jpg
Old original package.
20230218_100219.jpg

new original package.
20230218_101114.jpg

Left new original pad. Center old original pad. Right aftermarket pad.

20230218_100918.jpg

New original top. Old original bottom.

20230218_100536.jpg

New original top. House Assessory aftermarket below.

Attachments

• 20230218_100522.jpg
    20230218_100522.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230218_101047.jpg
    20230218_101047.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230218_101224.jpg
    20230218_101224.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230218_101447.jpg
    20230218_101447.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230218_100918.jpg
    20230218_100918.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #9,245 of 9,628
I just noticed the old is made in Germany where the new is made in Ireland.

Maybe this because the Ireland factory is under sonova as far as I understand as well as the whole 6## series.

The Germany factory maybe belongs to the Sennheiser pro unit. After the split maybe needed to change pads lines as well.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #9,246 of 9,628
.................. Thank you @Rob80b I really appreciate your help on this one.

new original package.
Your welcome...... and thanks for posting as the proper pads can and do make a huge difference in perceived sound so its important to know which ones are the good ones.
Sometimes it's tempting to pick up 3rd party but it's always a hit or miss, YMMV.

Ps..I brought the spare parts confusion up with Sennheiser where one sight has them in stock and the other doesn't and was informed it is in the process of being reorganized.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #9,247 of 9,628
Your welcome...... and thanks for posting as the proper pads can and do make a huge difference in perceived sound so its important to know which ones are the good ones.
Sometimes it's tempting to pick up 3rd party but it's always a hit or miss, YMMV.

Ps..I brought the spare parts confusion up with Sennheiser where one sight has them in stock and the other doesn't and was informed it is in the process of being reorganized.
The reorganise because of the acquisition probably.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #9,248 of 9,628
20230218_111350.jpg

Also as I changed pads to my 58X today I notice that right diaphragm (not sure how is called) is discoloured while my left is brand new almost intact.

I am taking care of them as a babies not sure how this is happened. I bought them in November 2018.

I did not notice any difference in sound but I amworried how this could have happened???

Sweating or humidity from the right ear only...LOL

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #9,251 of 9,628
I was supposed to do a review for a Dac today ...I ended up rolling pads...LOL

For those complaining about bass for the 660s you may try do those in case you can still find them...

For the 58x the bass is too much... also they have a memory foam and they are more stiff and you may find them much more uncomfortable in comparison to the new original pads.

20230218_170716.jpg

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #9,252 of 9,628
If you are not constantly adjusting the headphone, maybe you can put some material to cover these parts? Something like a textile material or in the worst case some tape.

I saw this image of the DT1770 on the website, some padding like this textile material, but on the zones that causes you issues might work.

It was never an issue for me, because I’m only wearing short hair..
Where did you see this photo? This looks perfect, thanks. I never need to readjust my headband. Edit: found it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-pro-studio-headphones.21154/reviews

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #9,254 of 9,628
I forgot about this great post because was many months ago but explains a lot.

I received yesterday from Sennheiser Germany shop my pads and I can confirm are the new pads. The packaging has been changed. It now writes sonova the new owners. They are different from the old pads the clear indicator is the clear ring from the back side vs the matte of old ones. I have also the velour Assessory House Global aftermarket and I attach some photos to show the differences among all these pads.

I do not regret buying from Germany at all I paid 32£ price plus 5£ shipping cost no custom fees or whatever. In the UK was 32£ plus 2£ shipping for such a small difference I prefer to buy from the most authoritative shop and I managed to maximise my probability to receive the new pads. Thank you @Rob80b I really appreciate your help on this one. 20230218_100825.jpg
Old original package.
20230218_100219.jpg

new original package.
20230218_101114.jpg

Left new original pad. Center old original pad. Right aftermarket pad.

20230218_100918.jpg

New original top. Old original bottom.

20230218_100536.jpg

New original top. House Assessory aftermarket below.

I remeber that time ... I was testing Dekony,Yaxi , Brainwavz with Extra printed rings, and First gen Blackring Senn pads with the yellow foam, the next one with Black ring and bluish foam and months ago the Clear ring ones. Unfortunately i havent open up the Clear ring ones to see whats inside .

My conclusion is that Original Hybrid Pads from Sennheiser with the fake leather inside , velour outside without stitches and the specific foam is hard to replicate. I remember the summer that i was testing different types of foams ( because of my work i had many kind of them ) even latex or memmory or stiffer or high air penetrate . Everything was changing the sound and the feeling , some materials was even hotter or colder for example the gel ones that we use on pillows, i even tried to feel the stock pads with Neck duck feathers that are very small and soft, again didnt worked .

Thats why i advice people to buy the Original Stock Clear pads.

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #9,255 of 9,628
I remeber that time ... I was testing Dekony,Yaxi , Brainwavz with Extra printed rings, and First gen Blackring Senn pads with the yellow foam, the next one with Black ring and bluish foam and months ago the Clear ring ones. Unfortunately i havent open up the Clear ring ones to see whats inside .

My conclusion is that Original Hybrid Pads from Sennheiser with the fake leather inside , velour outside without stitches and the specific foam is hard to replicate. I remember the summer that i was testing different types of foams ( because of my work i had many kind of them ) even latex or memmory or stiffer or high air penetrate . Everything was changing the sound and the feeling , some materials was even hotter or colder for example the gel ones that we use on pillows, i even tried to feel the stock pads with Neck duck feathers that are very small and soft, again didnt worked .

Thats why i advice people to buy the Original Stock Clear pads.
Although I used today also the Assessory House (15£) and I also liked them. Not so nice velour it feels more chemical and synthetic but is more durable and improves the bass. I enjoyed them today. I will put back the clear original ones at some point but I want to experiment a bit.

The original old pads though have this old shape that reminds me when I open my first box of sennheiser, they make me really sentimental , now I am looking to buy an extra pair of them as well...LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back