Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 21, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #9,257 of 9,628
Mainly for UK folks on this thread who would like a much shorter decent cable for any in the 600 range. I have mentioned also in the 660s2 shorter thread. But from UK A.zon for £10.99 this cable is very good , it's about 4 ft long . Feels good , no sound if catches clothes, no kinks ...etc Might be useful for portable audio players . Got mine on my 660s right now only playing jazz fusion from old phone . All good .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-21-14-15-22-714.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-02-21-14-15-22-714.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 26, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #9,259 of 9,628
It really is, what I am reading about the S2 seems to be a pretty different set of cans. I like the strengths of the 660S in particular, and I find it responds very well to EQ if you want more of this or that for some listening material. Still, I'd love to try the followup when they come down in price to sub-$400.

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #9,260 of 9,628
It really is, what I am reading about the S2 seems to be a pretty different set of cans. I like the strengths of the 660S in particular, and I find it responds very well to EQ if you want more of this or that for some listening material. Still, I'd love to try the followup when they come down in price to sub-$400.
That’s what I’m gathering too about the S2. The impressions of the two aren’t as similar as I was expecting them to be. Makes it seem worthwhile to possibly have both. The original HD 660 S is basically discontinued and they’re selling off their current stock, so if anyone wants a new original HD 660 S now and the next few months is the time to buy them.

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #9,262 of 9,628
After buying on of these last month...

mirra2_herman-miller4.jpg

...taking delivery of these this afternoon, courtesy of Head-Fi classifieds and @jsk ksj...

hd 660s.jpg

...I then read this...

So, are those the headphones that god listens to while sitting in his Herman Aeron chair?

...and thought that I must've died and gone to heaven ! :L3000:

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #9,267 of 9,628
Mar 26, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #9,269 of 9,628
I'm sad Sennheiser is replacing these with the S2! I wish they'd make them both part of their product offerings instead if possible. At the $300 price point this is still such a good sounding headphone. Quick drivers, detailed but still engaging tuning, good w/ a lot of genres of music, and flexible to EQ if you'd like to reshape its frequency focus for some material. Sennheiser's sound hasn't ever been everybody's cup of tea (hey, variety is the spice of life, right?), but this was a great iteration of their house sound in my opinion. It's a worthy pal to the venerable HD-650 whether one thinks of it as a true successor or not.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #9,270 of 9,628
I'm sad Sennheiser is replacing these with the S2! I wish they'd make them both part of their product offerings instead if possible. At the $300 price point this is still such a good sounding headphone. Quick drivers, detailed but still engaging tuning, good w/ a lot of genres of music, and flexible to EQ if you'd like to reshape its frequency focus for some material. Sennheiser's sound hasn't ever been everybody's cup of tea (hey, variety is the spice of life, right?), but this was a great iteration of their house sound in my opinion. It's a worthy pal to the venerable HD-650 whether one thinks of it as a true successor or not.
I agree, honestly these getting replaced with the S2 is why I decided to get myself a pair recently at below $300 new. What I like about these is their distinct tuning and I appreciate their quicker transients and better imaging. But the biggest thing for me, these are the only Senns I've owned that actually ever engaged me properly. While I appreciate the HD 600/650 overall I just don't like how their sound is presented much, whereas I love how sound is presented on the HD 660S. I'm worried the HD 660S2 may not carry some of the traits I love about the HD 660S. The HD 660S is in my top 3 headphones in the $300~ price range, the other two being the R70x and the Amiron Home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back