Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 12, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #9,229 of 9,628
The pads are the same across all of the HD 6xx line. They updated pads a couple years ago on the entire series. I believe to make it so they don't compress as much or as quickly as the old pads.
I just bought new pads for my 6xx and they are of the softer variety.
May be old stock? Pics look like current sennheiser.
Same article number also.

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #9,230 of 9,628
@rafaelo, I recently ordered a pair of these for both my 660s, and my 6xx. To be honest, I've detected zero differences in quality, or sound. I assume that they are the new pads. I just slap them on and enjoy the music. Hope you find success and enjoyable listening as well.

Leo

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #9,231 of 9,628
...and another last night ...violinist Rachel Podger with Tafelmusik......."La Passione: Haydn & Mozart". : )
(sorry no photos allowed during the performance).........

Sadly today more than 90% of the audience was composed of older geriatrics like myself and probably the same crew from 50 years ago, just older. : )
IMG_6783.JPG

https://tafelmusik.org/concerts-events/concerts/haydn-mozart/
One of my favorites!!
Mozart Rondo for violin in C Major, K.373
Amazingly clean orchestration, Mozart was having an excellent day when he wrote this. 👍

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #9,232 of 9,628
@rafaelo, I recently ordered a pair of these for both my 660s, and my 6xx. To be honest, I've detected zero differences in quality, or sound. I assume that they are the new pads. I just slap them on and enjoy the music. Hope you find success and enjoyable listening as well.

Leo
I will. I just needed some more durability. The old ones are compressed so quickly and easily...

Feb 12, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #9,234 of 9,628
may I ask you guys who discuss HD660S. Have you reached one million posts on this matter yet and why on earth are there so much to discuss about this particular headphone while discussion on other headphones in comparison is merely a drip in the ocean.... this is crazy! What more is there to know and tweak about this headphone? this is so rare that archaeologists in thousands year time will have a very hard time figure out why this explosion of discussion about one headphone could possible occur in a civilization like the one we live in now.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #9,235 of 9,628
may I ask you guys who discuss HD660S. Have you reached one million posts on this matter yet and why on earth are there so much to discuss about this particular headphone while discussion on other headphones in comparison is merely a drip in the ocean.... this is crazy! What more is there to know and tweak about this headphone? this is so rare that archaeologists in thousands year time will have a very hard time figure out why this explosion of discussion about one headphone could possible occur in a civilization like the one we live in now.
Yeah, some unhealthy obsession with different shades of gray HD6XXX models.
It's okay mid-fi, nostalgic for some, myself included, but pretty pale comparing to the most new kids on the block.
We've got another reheated soup from Sennheiser, same design, same inferior to everything on the market spring cable connectors, slightly different tuning.
Why it's such a big deal?

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #9,236 of 9,628
Quick, jump on them!!!! Back to $199 at drop... join the obsession.. 😀

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #9,237 of 9,628
may I ask you guys who discuss HD660S. Have you reached one million posts on this matter yet and why on earth are there so much to discuss about this particular headphone .....
Excellent question...guess it's an enigma...at least for me...over 20 years I've had the HD580/600, HD650 x 3, HD6XX, HD58x and of course the HD660S three times, all bought and sold for different reasons...and now having just sold my current HD660S and I've the HD660S2 on order. They've all been a pleasant experience, and I quite like the form factor but can't say honestly any of them have been my favourite means of listening to music...so yes...enigmatic, guess that could apply to me sometimes too. lol : )
As mentioned elsewhere I'd love to see Sabine Hossenfelder take on the matter, if she was into headphones.
https://www.youtube.com/@SabineHossenfelder/videos

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #9,239 of 9,628
Mid-fi :unamused:

Whateva, I dig 'em and the "new kids on the block" haven't pulled me away yet!
Hard to say what is Mid-fi, the HD600 and HD650 were the top of the game, along with the HD660S they are as good now as they were then. Just a lot of water to tread these days, and with all the mega buck boutique style phones the water does get pretty murky. The HD600 series are a tried true tool for listening to music, modular, robust and I like the form factor, they always stay securely in place...
But for my personnel preferences they aren't my usual 1st choice as I'm drawn to a more analytical presentation, but that's mostly due to my years in Electro-acoustic music and recording staring back in the early 70s.
But I always find a gap after trying different phones and the HD600 series somehow always end up back on my doorstep, I really liked the 660S....and now I await for the arrival of the my "S2"'s. : )

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #9,240 of 9,628
Yeah, some unhealthy obsession with different shades of gray HD6XXX models.
............ but pretty pale comparing to the most new kids on the block.
Sounds familiar.
Converse-Still-in-Style.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back