Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 2, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #7,966 of 9,628
Any other Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pad fans out there? I used them for about six months and tried for a couple of weeks to go back to the OEM velour pads on the HD660S. Had to switch back to the fenestrated pads. Less dark to me, and improves the imaging/soundstage for me.
I’ve been using Elite Velour pads with my HD 660S just because the memory foam is comfy and the pads have held their loft for years 🤷‍♂️

Dekoni also made “standard” velour pads for the HD 600 series, they have rounded edges and the construction mimics the stock pads… they’re supposed to measure the same, and I have a pair, but I haven’t gotten around to actually trying them yet 😂

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #7,967 of 9,628
660S just arrived and so far, so good. I’ve been a sennheiser fanboy since I got a pair of HD430 in the early 1980’s, and my current arsenal includes HD280pro/580/600/650, all modified to one extent or another. I like all of them a lot, but the 600 (marble) with the custom cans copper weight mod, all foam removed and narrow, all leather pads are the ones to beat - they can do it all, but ideally I’d still like a little more meat on the bones. That being said, they’ve bettered multiple higher priced planar and dynamic phones over the past few years. In my system and in my opinion. YMMV. Not impugning other headphones, just praising these. The 650s are in my bedside system for their lovely, warm ‘good night kiss’ tuning and the 580s are on my desk (still going strong after 25 years!) and will likely be retired and replaced by the modified 600s if the 660S ‘win’ place of pride in the main system. Too early to tell anything for certain, but first impression is that the 660S are a very nice pairing with my old Burson Soloist (SS, Class A) - warm, engaging, punchy, tight bass, liquid (not grainy midrange) and detailed but not shouty or overly bright treble right out of the box; a very good start.

My primary interest in the 660S is that I am hoping they will be what I always wanted the HD700 to be but wasn’t. I’ve actually bought, modified and sold two pairs of the 700, such was my love/hate relationship with them. If the 660S can give me the general flavor of the 650, but with the life of the 700 and the natural transparency and overall neutral balance of the modified 600 - as @Evshrug suggests might be the case - then I’ll be a happy camper. I’m listening to the 660S unmodified except that I am using a 15ft mogami/furutech cable which I require to reach across the room to my stereo system (it also sounds good, to me). I have a pair of Dekoni fenestrated to play around with (not to mention mixing and matching the pads that are on the 600 and 650), but I kinda like these new velvety pads - it’s been awhile.

Of course, as I received the 660S this afternoon, I also got an email that the 8XX review sample I’ve been waiting for since August will arrive tomorrow. Better hope for rain this weekend, I’ve got a lot of listening and comparing to do…

Such problems!😁

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #7,968 of 9,628
660S just arrived and so far, so good. I’ve been a sennheiser fanboy since I got a pair of HD430 in the early 1980’s, and my current arsenal includes HD280pro/580/600/650, all modified to one extent or another. I like all of them a lot, but the 600 (marble) with the custom cans copper weight mod, all foam removed and narrow, all leather pads are the ones to beat - they can do it all, but ideally I’d still like a little more meat on the bones. That being said, they’ve bettered multiple higher priced planar and dynamic phones over the past few years. In my system and in my opinion. YMMV. Not impugning other headphones, just praising these. The 650s are in my bedside system for their lovely, warm ‘good night kiss’ tuning and the 580s are on my desk (still going strong after 25 years!) and will likely be retired and replaced by the 600s if the 660S ‘win’ place of pride in the main system. Too early to tell anything for certain, but first impression is that the 660S are a very nice pairing with my old Burson Soloist (SS, Class A) - warm, engaging, punchy, tight bass, liquid (not grainy midrange) and detailed but not shouty or overly bright treble right out of the box; a very good start.

My primary interest in the 660S is that I am hoping they will be what I always wanted the HD700 to be but wasn’t. I’ve actually bought, modified and sold two pairs of the 700, such was my love/hate relationship with them. If the 660S can give me the general flavor of the 650, but with the life of the 700 - as @Evshrug suggests might be the case - then I’ll be a happy camper. I’m listening to the 660S unmodified except that I am using a 15ft mogami/furutech cable which I require to reach across the room to my stereo system (it also sounds good, to me). I have a pair of Dekoni fenestrated to play around with (not to mention mixing and matching the pads that are on the 600 and 650), but I kinda like these new velvety pads - it’s been awhile.

Of course, as I received the 660S this afternoon, I also got an email that the 8XX review sample I’ve been waiting for since August will arrive tomorrow. Better hope for rain this weekend, I’ve got a lot of listening and comparing to do…

Such problems!😁

Get the blue dragon cable for the 660s. Perf combo

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #7,969 of 9,628
Get the blue dragon cable for the 660s. Perf combo
Good to know. Thanks!

Funny, these two posts are my first on this thread, and I’m noticing familiar faces (icons?) from the HD600 and HD650 threads. I very much like that so many guys recognize just how good this line of cans, starting with the 580, really is. When I first got my 580s in the mid-90’s, they were TOTL, except for one or two really exotic things like Stax or the near-unobtainable Orpheus. Same goes for the 600 and the 650, until the HD800s came out and the floodgates opened for divisive, megabuck headphones. But, I’m an old traditionalist, and I still think the 600 series is not only relevant, but worthy of inclusion in any collection. They do so much right, that you really have to be looking for shortcomings to notice them, and the older I get, the less interested I am in picking nits and the more I just want to sit back and enjoy my music. And, that’s just what I get from these ‘mid-line’ Sennheisers.

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #7,971 of 9,628
660s been getting kind of exposed on my CMA Twelve Master, by the SR-2 and 6xx.

Ended up putting the 660s out of my rotation and giving it gaming duty. I'm a little sad about it haha.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #7,972 of 9,628
660s been getting kind of exposed on my CMA Twelve Master, by the SR-2 and 6xx.

Ended up putting the 660s out of my rotation and giving it gaming duty. I'm a little sad about it haha.
Horses for courses, I suppose. To me the 660S is just a better 650. Not 100% sure what ‘exposed’ means but I assume it’s not good, and I’ve never heard the iBasso so no comment on those (and assuming the 6XX is the same as the 650, because I’ve never heard a pair of 6XX but I’ve owned and loved and modified 650 (and 580 and 600 for years)), to my ear and in my system, the 660S is tighter, faster, better detailed, better balanced, more lively, more extended in the treble, better defined in the bass, better image, more space and air and more transparent than the 650. To me it’s like all the good neutral stuff from the 600, with the warmth of the 650 and the life of the 700 - still not perfect, of course, but we’re inching our way closer. The 650 is a lovely, musical headphone, and has been one of my go to’s for a long time, but I can’t think of any way in which it clearly betters the 660S - quite the contrary, IMO, listening to them back to back leaves me thinking the 660S is the clearly more advanced product (as it should be, 18 years later). Of course, different ears, different amps, different sources, different moods, who knows - I can change my own mind about headphones 10 times a day - that’s why it’s a hobby. But right now I’m loving almost everything about the 660S, and I’ve got a pair of 8XX in house to compare them to back to back (the 660S are my favorite from the midrange on down, with better tonal saturation, punchier although not as well defined bass, more musical muscle and simply more meat on the bones; the 8XX are the winners on treble extension, air, space imaging, build quality and comfort - no surprises, both great but the the 660S is more to my taste. It’s biggest problem is they didn’t put it in a fancier package, call it a 700S and charge an extra $300 list for it. Just my $,02, YMMV.).

And, hey, the Blue Dragons you recommended haven’t even arrived yet! Lol!!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #7,973 of 9,628
Horses for courses, I suppose. To me the 660S is just a better 650. Not 100% sure what ‘exposed’ means but I assume it’s not good, and I’ve never heard the iBasso so no comment on those (and assuming the 6XX is the same as the 650, because I’ve never heard a pair of 6XX but I’ve owned and loved and modified 650 (and 580 and 600 for years)), to my ear and in my system, the 660S is tighter, faster, better detailed, better balanced, more lively, more extended in the treble, better defined in the bass, better image, more space and air and more transparent than the 650. To me it’s like all the good neutral stuff from the 600, with the warmth of the 650 and the life of the 700 - still not perfect, of course, but we’re inching our way closer. The 650 is a lovely, musical headphone, and has been one of my go to’s for a long time, but I can’t think of any way in which it clearly betters the 660S - quite the contrary, IMO, listening to them back to back leaves me thinking the 660S is the clearly more advanced product (as it should be, 18 years later). Of course, different ears, different amps, different sources, different moods, who knows - I can change my own mind about headphones 10 times a day - that’s why it’s a hobby. But right now I’m loving almost everything about the 660S, and I’ve got a pair of 8XX in house to compare them to back to back (the 660S are my favorite from the midrange on down, with better tonal saturation, punchier although not as well defined bass, more musical muscle and simply more meat on the bones; the 8XX are the winners on treble extension, air, space imaging, build quality and comfort - no surprises, both great but the the 660S is more to my taste. It’s biggest problem is they didn’t put it in a fancier package, call it a 700S and charge an extra $300 list for it. Just my $,02, YMMV.).

And, hey, the Blue Dragons you recommended haven’t even arrived yet! Lol!!

Bro, i'm convinced i cannot tell what sounds better from my stable of headphones from one day to the next. i think so much of what influences what i hear depends on how i'm feeling that day, or maybe i just get used to the sound of a particular headphone. i don't trust my ears at all at this point haha. as i'm typing i'm listening to Nirvana Unplugged with the 660s and it's doing better than the 6xx. so there you go, new day new opinion. i have no clue haha. -shruggs-

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #7,974 of 9,628
Bro, i'm convinced i cannot tell what sounds better from my stable of headphones from one day to the next. i think so much of what influences what i hear depends on how i'm feeling that day, or maybe i just get used to the sound of a particular headphone. i don't trust my ears at all at this point haha. as i'm typing i'm listening to Nirvana Unplugged with the 660s and it's doing better than the 6xx. so there you go, new day new opinion. i have no clue haha. -shruggs-
Precisely! And I’ve got Tom Waits crooning through the 650’s and thinking the same thing.

The great news: they’re all good, and we get to pick nits for fun!! Serious First World problems.. 😇

Enjoy!!

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #7,975 of 9,628
Recently I decided to buy headphones. After all I decided do go with 660s and...
I came across information that Sennheiser 660s production (and whole 6 series) will be moved to back to Ireland.

Would prefer not to wait an year or something but are there any problems with headphones made in Romania?
Sound is worse, build quality?
Should I even care?

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #7,976 of 9,628
Recently I decided to buy headphones. After all I decided do go with 660s and...
I came across information that Sennheiser 660s production (and whole 6 series) will be moved to back to Ireland.

Would prefer not to wait an year or something but are there any problems with headphones made in Romania?
Sound is worse, build quality?
Should I even care?
Don't even care.
No build quality or sound variations.

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #7,978 of 9,628
Had to ask.
In my country People selling used hd650 (Irish batch) for more than new hd600s
Because there are people who bites and think that they are better and collectible.
My 660S and 650 are Romanian batch and they have top notch build quality.

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #7,979 of 9,628
Don't even care.
No build quality or sound variations.
^ This.

I worried about the same thing, but the 660S from Romania appear to be just as robust as my 580/600/650 from Ireland. They sound different because they’re supposed to, not because of any QC issue. My understanding is that all the internals are still made in Germany or Ireland and then shipped to Romania where they are assembled by ‘specially trained teams’. The injection molded bodies are made in Romania.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #7,980 of 9,628
Out of curiosity.
I've been watching pictures of hd660s
On the esrcup gril there is senhisers logo.
On some pictures it has filled black space and on some the logo has a hole.
The empty inside logo looks better in my opinion and I winder which one is the newest

Screenshot_20211222-155702_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20211222-155629_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back