Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 8, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #7,936 of 9,626
Out of these options, what would be the best to drive my 660S daily. Have been using option #1 for years.

1. Sound Blaster Z (24-bit / 192kHz) & SNR of 116dB

2. X570 Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - High end motherboard (just purchased with my new PC which I haven't put together yet)
- ROG SupremeFX S1220 is combined with the venerable ESS® ES9023P to deliver high-fidelity audio to headsets and exotic cans.
- ESS® ES9023P High Definition DAC
- 120dB SNR stereo playback output

3. FiiO BTR5 - If I use this on PC, I would buy a balanced cable for it. Currently use it externally with my Momentum 2.0 Over Ears

4. FiiO Q1 Mark II - Sitting somewhere not being used at all right now since I purchased the BTR5 and switched to bluetooth when pairing with phone.

That's a shame you're not using the Q1 MkII. It's a great little amp. It used to make my HD6XX sing when I had it. My vote goes to the Q1, but a standalone amp will def be better. I've been looking at options from Geshelli Labs recently. You might want to check them out.

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #7,937 of 9,626
Thank you for the responses. External DAC/AMP is out of budget for me right now. So I will use the one I already have, the Q1 MKII as recommended. Any balanced 2.5mm cable recommendations? The Q1 MKII amplification is much stronger balanced apparently.

I am considering one of these two right now, but I don't know anything about their quality, any others people here have tried and are using?

1. SYRNARN Balanced 2.5mm
2. No name brand - Balanced 2.5mm

I would get the 2m length balanced 2.5mm of either.

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #7,938 of 9,626
Out of these options, what would be the best to drive my 660S daily. Have been using option #1 for years.

1. Sound Blaster Z (24-bit / 192kHz) & SNR of 116dB

2. X570 Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - High end motherboard (just purchased with my new PC which I haven't put together yet)
- ROG SupremeFX S1220 is combined with the venerable ESS® ES9023P to deliver high-fidelity audio to headsets and exotic cans.
- ESS® ES9023P High Definition DAC
- 120dB SNR stereo playback output

3. FiiO BTR5 - If I use this on PC, I would buy a balanced cable for it. Currently use it externally with my Momentum 2.0 Over Ears

4. FiiO Q1 Mark II - Sitting somewhere not being used at all right now since I purchased the BTR5 and switched to bluetooth when pairing with phone.
Rog Supreme FX with ES9023P and Japanese's capacitors and components is not only way better than all those options u write but is better than dacs that cost more than 300 euro . Its not only the dac but also every other component around it on this Mobo that makes it better compare to other mobo with shame or better dac-amp.

U need to disable all Effects , all DTS, sonic radar , and room effects, use 32bit 48000khz nothing more nothing less on windows .
The only problem with this Dac -Amp mobo solution is that there is no analogue or digital volume knob , and what ever i use from amazon usb knob they was terrible . So this is a problem ( unless if u have a great keyboard with volume knob)

Oh and dont forget to use only ASUS Official Site audio drivers and dont let any other program update them , DONT let the Asus Crate download other audio driver .
BTR5 and Q1 mark was not enough HD600 650 660s in my opinion ( edit on single end) . I dont know about SOundblaster Z i never use Soundblaster products.

In my opinion ( because i use Asus Strix Supreme FX ESS ) u need nothing more than a volume knob and seriously it can drive on low iems on medium 50 - 150 and on high settings my Sundara and HD650 easy . ( dont use cable extender unless if its very good quality)

I hope i helped.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #7,939 of 9,626
Thank you for the responses. External DAC/AMP is out of budget for me right now. So I will use the one I already have, the Q1 MKII as recommended. Any balanced 2.5mm cable recommendations? The Q1 MKII amplification is much stronger balanced apparently.

I am considering one of these two right now, but I don't know anything about their quality, any others people here have tried and are using?

With balance yeah u get way more power and more than enough ( i dont know about noise levels). The problem is finding a good quality cable , in my opinion use the Stock Balanced 4.4 cable and buy a good 4.4 to 2.5 adaptor .

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #7,940 of 9,626

I found out, that HD660s is tuned with OFC cable. If connected via any other material, like OCC or SPC, these destroy soundstage of this headphones!

Nov 9, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #7,941 of 9,626
I found out, that HD660s is tuned with OFC cable. If connected via any other material, like OCC or SPC, these destroy soundstage of this headphones!
Hmmm, I be a bit skeptical of the concept of "destruction" mentioned above. Maybe more accurate to say "if you listen closely, you may find subtle differences between cables on the 660s , but YMMV". ?

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #7,942 of 9,626
Hmmm, I be a bit skeptical of the concept of "destruction" mentioned above. Maybe more accurate to say "if you listen closely, you may find subtle differences between cables on the 660s , but YMMV". ?
With OCC - Everything is cleaner, bass has more depth and treble more sparkle.
But, vocals are even warmer and the soundstage disappeares. To the point of claustrophobic feeling.

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #7,943 of 9,626
Respect your opinion but I dont agree , in my opinion a working shame distance cable pfc occ spc or Adamantium From Wolverine himself cant effect the sound so drastically Destroying Soundstage unless if its fault cable.

About Tuned with OFC cable , thats not how i know Sennheiser tune or test FR on the headphones , I saw B&W and Sennheiser putting the driver alone inside a machine with no cables or pads or anything else.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #7,944 of 9,626
I fully agree there is no way a cable alone make a soundstage disappear destroyed . Small subtle differences yeah.
This has been proved many times years ago with measurements or blind tests.
But ok i understand and respect if someone say that a cable is making a bad headphone amazing or an amazing headphone destroyed by a cable alone, the love of this hobby have that.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #7,945 of 9,626

Maybe if you pair the 660s w a 20$ yinhoo OCC or SPC haha

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #7,947 of 9,626
Maybe if you pair the 660s w a 20$ yinhoo OCC or SPC haha
I don't see any other first-hand insights. Too bad I would like to read another review from someone with multiple cables of different materials. I have PC-OCC with Japanese conductor and borrowed SP-OCC (not spc sorry). My subjective assessment is that only OFC sounds balanced and with good soundstage.

Nov 10, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #7,948 of 9,626
I prefer hd650
Well there is a certain thread for that headphone. I find it slow and a bit boring.

Well, to be fair, and as a frequenter of both threads, I’d say that they are - as are the headphones in question - very similar but still different enough to warrant reading both.
:beerchug:
In my opinion, the HD 650 is like a fresh Bavarian/ Munich beer: full bodied and tasty, but also smooth. Not going for something more extreme like a lot of hops or a V-shaped FR curve. I also tend to “sink into it” the longer I listen 😅

The HD 660S is like a coffee with just a bit of cream and sugar, like the more alerted version of the HD 650. I can still drink my fill of the HD 660S, but it seems crisper and more focused. I find the HD 660S to be a pleasant compromise between the strengths of the HD 650 and HD 800S

Even if I personally listen to the HD 660S more, I think there’s enjoyment to be found in both, and they were both high efforts. It’s interesting how people’s ear physiology (everyone has their own hearing frequency response!) and tastes can lead to preferring one choice or another :)

In reference to good looking HD 560S graphs:
HD660S is much better, trust me!
I agree the HD 660S is “better” overall than the HD 560S. However, I do like the HD 560S’ angled drivers and soundstage presentation, the extra extended sub-bass is an unusual treat, and the FR tuning was very carefully done and “gets the most” performance out of the modern HD 500 series that I’ve heard yet (fewer masking effects due to less of a darker, bassy tuning). It was a nice upgrade to go back to the more refined, effortless HD 660S, but the HD560S has a lot to be proud of (and little to complain about) for $200.

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #7,950 of 9,626
In reference to good looking HD 560S graphs:

I agree the HD 660S is “better” overall than the HD 560S. However, I do like the HD 560S’ angled drivers and soundstage presentation, the extra extended sub-bass is an unusual treat, and the FR tuning was very carefully done and “gets the most” performance out of the modern HD 500 series that I’ve heard yet (fewer masking effects due to less of a darker, bassy tuning). It was a nice upgrade to go back to the more refined, effortless HD 660S, but the HD560S has a lot to be proud of (and little to complain about) for $200.

HD560S definitely better for gaming due to the angled drivers. Also, the 560S feel more 3D sounding then the 660S on music. For only music, it feels like there's something missing on the 560S compared to the 660S, a lack of punch, but there's a slight sub bass presence that the 660S don't have, and maybe don't need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back