Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 2, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #7,921 of 9,628
Nov 3, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #7,922 of 9,628
Nov 3, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #7,925 of 9,628
660s is def better than the 560s. I think a lot of bringing out the best in the 660s depends on cable choice. Call me crazy, but I didn't get to my most recent conclusions about it in comparison to the 600/650 until I paired it w the Blue Dragon cable

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #7,926 of 9,628
660s is def better than the 560s. I think a lot of bringing out the best in the 660s depends on cable choice. Call me crazy, but I didn't get to my most recent conclusions about it in comparison to the 600/650 until I paired it w the Blue Dragon cable
I think it also takes some extended listening, over weeks or even a few months, to really appreciate what the 660s does better than the 650. Surface level I could see many people preferring the 650, but over many listening sessions you start to get the sense that the 660s just has more detail and is bringing more out of the recording than the 650. Its difficult for me to explain, but to give an analogy it just feels like I'm switching to a slightly worse prescription of lenses when I switch from the 660s back to the 6xx, like stuff is ever so slightly out of focus or blurry around the edges. In reality they are both amazing and quite close, but the 660s is just better overall and I think it takes a while for that to really show.

Nov 4, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #7,927 of 9,628
I have done some tests with different types of materials in front of the HD660 and other headphones that i have.
What i understand is that sound change to some a lot and others minimal for example on my bose angle drivers using high density foam makes then dark and bassy.
Anyways if anyone think that HD660s are warm dark then i advice to take off the Sennheiser foam or use high air penetrated fabric that used on speakers , this will make them more open and treble happy.
If anyone think that 660s are bright then they can use high intensity foam i personally used the foam that is insidw the box over the headphones i cut it and place it between the drivers i got more bass and smoother highs.
I test also with air filter cotton and wool both of them make the sound smooth but bass is lost and also cuts of a lot of soundstage and energy in sound.
I will take some photos at my spare time.

I like the sound of HD660s without the front foam much more. Although not as bassy, it has more detail and cleaner treble without peaks. I even think the Sennheiser engineers tuned the sound without them. I will cover the drivers with some network from thin fabric (let my tailor advise me).
Example with voile fabric on HD58x:

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #7,928 of 9,628
I like the sound of HD660s without the front foam much more. Although not as bassy, it has more detail and cleaner treble without peaks. I even think the Sennheiser engineers tuned the sound without them. I will cover the drivers with some network from thin fabric (let my tailor advise me).

Thanks for reminding me about this. I had done this to a 58X and really enjoyed the result. The fabric you're going to use must be tight enough to able to retain hair from touching the driver

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #7,929 of 9,628
I think it also takes some extended listening, over weeks or even a few months, to really appreciate what the 660s does better than the 650. Surface level I could see many people preferring the 650, but over many listening sessions you start to get the sense that the 660s just has more detail and is bringing more out of the recording than the 650. Its difficult for me to explain, but to give an analogy it just feels like I'm switching to a slightly worse prescription of lenses when I switch from the 660s back to the 6xx, like stuff is ever so slightly out of focus or blurry around the edges. In reality they are both amazing and quite close, but the 660s is just better overall and I think it takes a while for that to really show.
This is close to what i feel , it was never huge difference and both of them are so good, but there is something about 660s that do better and the only way to hear that is use both of them day after day .
I read somewhere that HD650 do 90% of what 10 times more expensive headphones do, now i get that and i can see that this hobby its all about those micro details we pay more and more for that, So i am not expecting to find any Headphone with HD 6 sound signature to sound 2x times better.

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #7,930 of 9,628

Yeahp thats how i remember more highs cleaner without foam , I didnt like it i prefer the sound with foam in front of it , because on some high notes it is more smooth.
Its all about taste :)

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #7,931 of 9,628
Just had some free time today to cut the voile fabric, put it on the 660 and show you what it looks like:

Attachments

• 20211104_205103_HDR.jpg
    20211104_205103_HDR.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #7,932 of 9,628
Out of these options, what would be the best to drive my 660S daily. Have been using option #1 for years.

1. Sound Blaster Z (24-bit / 192kHz) & SNR of 116dB

2. X570 Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - High end motherboard (just purchased with my new PC which I haven't put together yet)
- ROG SupremeFX S1220 is combined with the venerable ESS® ES9023P to deliver high-fidelity audio to headsets and exotic cans.
- ESS® ES9023P High Definition DAC
- 120dB SNR stereo playback output

3. FiiO BTR5 - If I use this on PC, I would buy a balanced cable for it. Currently use it externally with my Momentum 2.0 Over Ears

4. FiiO Q1 Mark II - Sitting somewhere not being used at all right now since I purchased the BTR5 and switched to bluetooth when pairing with phone.

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #7,933 of 9,628
Welcome to Headfi! Sorry about your wallet. :) I would recommend a stand alone headphone amplifier. You can look at Schiit Products and find a great Amp, Dac standalone, or an Amp/Dac combo. Very cheap relatively speaking, and in my opinion, ALOT of bang for the buck. Good luck!

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #7,934 of 9,628
I agree. Something like a $109 schiit fulla E would be more than enough, and a great option if you want a dac/amp combo. You could also look at the magni/modi if you want a separate stack.

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #7,935 of 9,628
Out of these options, what would be the best to drive my 660S daily. Have been using option #1 for years.

1. Sound Blaster Z (24-bit / 192kHz) & SNR of 116dB

2. X570 Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - High end motherboard (just purchased with my new PC which I haven't put together yet)
- ROG SupremeFX S1220 is combined with the venerable ESS® ES9023P to deliver high-fidelity audio to headsets and exotic cans.
- ESS® ES9023P High Definition DAC
- 120dB SNR stereo playback output

3. FiiO BTR5 - If I use this on PC, I would buy a balanced cable for it. Currently use it externally with my Momentum 2.0 Over Ears

4. FiiO Q1 Mark II - Sitting somewhere not being used at all right now since I purchased the BTR5 and switched to bluetooth when pairing with phone.
Sound-quality wise, my prefered choice is also desktop card ASUS STX II (with muses02)
DAP SR25 alone is not as dynamic
DAP SR25 together with Fiio E12 MB (or Little Dot mkII) looses some quality. But both aren't high fidelity amps, i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back