Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 10, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #7,951 of 9,618
I don't see any other first-hand insights. Too bad I would like to read another review from someone with multiple cables of different materials. I have PC-OCC with Japanese conductor and borrowed SP-OCC (not spc sorry). My subjective assessment is that only OFC sounds balanced and with good soundstage.
Ok I made fun but you're right I have no idea what my cables are made of nor have I ever done comparitive listening with different cables other than balanced / unbalanced. And you are not talking about crazy-expensive-alien-material cables, but just the few main material types found in common cables. I do buy OFC speaker wire myself it turns out after looking at my spool. Sorry. Knee jerk reaction.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #7,952 of 9,618
In my opinion, the HD 650 is like a fresh Bavarian/ Munich beer: full bodied and tasty, but also smooth. Not going for something more extreme like a lot of hops or a V-shaped FR curve. I also tend to “sink into it” the longer I listen 😅

The HD 660S is like a coffee with just a bit of cream and sugar, like the more alerted version of the HD 650. I can still drink my fill of the HD 660S, but it seems crisper and more focused. I find the HD 660S to be a pleasant compromise between the strengths of the HD 650 and HD 800S

Even if I personally listen to the HD 660S more, I think there’s enjoyment to be found in both, and they were both high efforts. It’s interesting how people’s ear physiology (everyone has their own hearing frequency response!) and tastes can lead to preferring one choice or another :)

In reference to good looking HD 560S graphs:

I agree the HD 660S is “better” overall than the HD 560S. However, I do like the HD 560S’ angled drivers and soundstage presentation, the extra extended sub-bass is an unusual treat, and the FR tuning was very carefully done and “gets the most” performance out of the modern HD 500 series that I’ve heard yet (fewer masking effects due to less of a darker, bassy tuning). It was a nice upgrade to go back to the more refined, effortless HD 660S, but the HD560S has a lot to be proud of (and little to complain about) for $200.
Good post, I do agree with your assessment of the 660s vs the 650 (6xx in my case) and 560s. To me they're the best of the 3, but I could see people preferring the syrupy sound of the 650.

You said the 660s is a good compromise between the 650 and 800s. I know first hand what it "borrows" from the 6xx, but can you elaborate on what it takes from the 800s?

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #7,953 of 9,618
Good post, I do agree with your assessment of the 660s vs the 650 (6xx in my case) and 560s. To me they're the best of the 3, but I could see people preferring the syrupy sound of the 650.

You said the 660s is a good compromise between the 650 and 800s. I know first hand what it "borrows" from the 6xx, but can you elaborate on what it takes from the 800s?
Literally 660s takes its drivers from the HD700. All the HD6-- series show discounts on amazon presently btw

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #7,954 of 9,618

I’ll do a video on it! But briefly, it has some of the musical warmth and intimacy of the HD 650, but elevates it halfway towards the HD 800’s clarity of focus, transparency, and agility (very good note separation and short ringing for making small details more apparent). It’s not quite as good at separation nor as airy as the HD 800S, but it’s also got more weight.

Literally 660s takes its drivers from the HD700. All the HD6-- series show discounts on amazon presently btw
It’s that time of year!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #7,956 of 9,618
In my opinion, the HD 650 is like a fresh Bavarian/ Munich beer: full bodied and tasty, but also smooth. Not going for something more extreme like a lot of hops or a V-shaped FR curve. I also tend to “sink into it” the longer I listen 😅

The HD 660S is like a coffee with just a bit of cream and sugar, like the more alerted version of the HD 650. I can still drink my fill of the HD 660S, but it seems crisper and more focused. I find the HD 660S to be a pleasant compromise between the strengths of the HD 650 and HD 800S

Even if I personally listen to the HD 660S more, I think there’s enjoyment to be found in both, and they were both high efforts. It’s interesting how people’s ear physiology (everyone has their own hearing frequency response!) and tastes can lead to preferring one choice or another :)

In reference to good looking HD 560S graphs:

I agree the HD 660S is “better” overall than the HD 560S. However, I do like the HD 560S’ angled drivers and soundstage presentation, the extra extended sub-bass is an unusual treat, and the FR tuning was very carefully done and “gets the most” performance out of the modern HD 500 series that I’ve heard yet (fewer masking effects due to less of a darker, bassy tuning). It was a nice upgrade to go back to the more refined, effortless HD 660S, but the HD560S has a lot to be proud of (and little to complain about) for $200.
I fully agree with u exactly what i feel about those. HD600 are also amazing in my opinion.

Do u have any idea about an OVER ear headphone that sounds like HD25 ?

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #7,957 of 9,618
Or they are being discontinued by the Swiss overlords? Hope not...
I can tell you, definitively, they’re not about to be discontinued.

When I report to Sennheiser Consumer, the way things have been going Sennheiser’s market share exploded and was highly attractive to Sonova as a way to enter into the consumer market without having to start fresh (fortuitous timing), and all Sennheiser employees are generally excited that the influx of funds from Sonova means they have more budget to do cool things. The deal hasn’t actually closed yet, but it’s already promising and paying off for Sonova because the IE 300 and 900 have been selling extremely well on the back of the HD 560S’ popularity.

So, actually, things are at a high water mark at Sennheiser. Personally, with the treasure hunt and HD 820 review tour, I’m seeing more collaboration from Sennheiser with me and online Head-Fi activities this time of year than in recent years. I’ve been enjoying making headphone specific synergy music playlists, also co-writing “blog” type articles with Eric Palonen like the recent ones about hearing safety (enjoy a healthier, longer audio life!) and an exploration of what makes a HiFi Holy Grail; and Jermo Koehnke has been extremely generous with his time and knowledge with me, and with the community when he took a substantial amount of time to personally come in and answer questions in the IE 900 ask me anything thread… which he participated in for waaay more days than I optimistically expected.

We missed some Sennheiser buzz because they weren’t officially at CanJam SoCal (but they helped me a bit with going there!) and they didn’t announce a new model right then (they did release several in-ear wired and wireless headphones this year!), but the momentum is strong and the Swiss investment is going to pay back to the community with interesting near-future announcements :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #7,958 of 9,618
I fully agree with u exactly what i feel about those. HD600 are also amazing in my opinion.

Do u have any idea about an OVER ear headphone that sounds like HD25 ?
You know, I’d love to tell you, but the HD 25 is one I haven’t heard 😂 I DID get the HD 280 Pro this summer and I was pleasantly surprised for a $99 ish closed back, and as an over-ear I would prefer that over an HD 25 (personally, I know the 25 is popular with DJs and that it’s still strong at its originally designed purpose - as an airplane headphone).

I lent the HD 280 Pro to a musician and writer friend of mine, and honestly I think it’s helped him keep his spirits up and I’m looking forward to hearing some of the stuff he’s been working on, but I think starting this weekend I’ll be publishing individual videos recording my “overview/descriptions” of as many of the Sennheiser headphones as I can, on my blog in my signature (using YouTube as a publishing medium). Probably starting with the HD 650, tomorrow, but I’ll do the HD 660S shortly after!

I just have to bully past the camera shyness, for some reason it’s easier for me to talk to the same community here than it is for me to talk on camera, with my occasional stuttering and red face
1636776357675.png

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #7,959 of 9,618
Received my Hart Audio Cable this afternoon. Listened for a bit and they sound as good if not better than the stock Sennheiser cable. From a quality and pride of ownership perspective, they are amazing. I purchased the balanced Sennheiser cable and the Desktop Necessities Multi-Kit w/case. $104.00 shipped. They are 10% off through 10/29/21 so ~ $94 if you're interested. Couldn't be more pleased. Highly recommended.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #7,960 of 9,618
Received my Hart Audio Cable this afternoon. Listened for a bit and they sound as good if not better than the stock Sennheiser cable. From a quality and pride of ownership perspective, they are amazing. I purchased the balanced Sennheiser cable and the Desktop Necessities Multi-Kit w/case. $104.00 shipped. They are 10% off through 10/29/21 so ~ $94 if you're interested. Couldn't be more pleased. Highly recommended.
Thats good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #7,961 of 9,618
660s really trades blows with the iBasso SR-2 nicely!

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #7,962 of 9,618
Any other Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pad fans out there? I used them for about six months and tried for a couple of weeks to go back to the OEM velour pads on the HD660S. Had to switch back to the fenestrated pads. Less dark to me, and improves the imaging/soundstage for me.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #7,963 of 9,618
Any other Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pad fans out there? I used them for about six months and tried for a couple of weeks to go back to the OEM velour pads on the HD660S. Had to switch back to the fenestrated pads. Less dark to me, and improves the imaging/soundstage for me.

100%

On all my 6-series.

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #7,964 of 9,618
Nice , any in photos of those pads to share ? Outside and inside ?

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #7,965 of 9,618

Users who are viewing this thread

Back