Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 23, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #7,996 of 9,628
https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/1429484.html
4.4 female to 3.5 male

No. With all respect, that is a 6.3 female to 3.5 male connector as @860lacov thought. The 660S ALSO come with a separate cable terminated in 4.4 pentagon balanced, but you have to remove the installed 6.3 male terminated cable to use it. This is not guessing - it was in my house until two days ago.

There is no reason not to uninstall the wire at the headphone end - I do it all the time. It’s a simple two prong plug. The internal spring in that area hasn’t been an issue since the 580 or maybe early 600, if that is what you’re worried about.

9AA26611-2B4E-4B21-BF5E-3801B855F19D.png

It’s possible that they switched over time, or that it’s different in US and Europe, but this is how mine came last week, just as described:
1. 3m cable (installed), with 6.35 plug.
2. 6.35 to 3.5 adapter.
3. Separate 3m cable terminated in the 4.4 Pentaconn connector.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #7,997 of 9,628

No. With all respect, that is a 6.3 female to 3.5 male connector as @860lacov thought. The 660S ALSO come with a separate cable terminated in 4.4 balanced, but you have to remove the installed 6.3 male terminated cable to use it. This is not guessing - it was in my house until two days ago.

There is no reason not to uninstall the wire at the headphone end - I do it all the time. It’s a simple two prong plug. The internal spring in that area hasn’t been an issue since the 580 or maybe early 600, if that is what you’re worried about.
The guy said that he doesn't want to interchange the cables.
He asked for a 4.4mm balanced converter to 3.5mm single ended.

21183243.jpg

The rest is not of my concern.

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #7,998 of 9,628
The guy said that he doesn't want to interchange the cables.
He asked for a 4.4mm balanced converter to 3.5mm single ended.

The rest is not of my concern.
I understand. But it seemed like you were saying that the connector he pictured was a 4.4 adapter, which it is not. I think it was the intervening post that led to some confusion. Just clarifying. No personal offense intended.

Dec 23, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #8,000 of 9,628

No. With all respect, that is a 6.3 female to 3.5 male connector as @860lacov thought. The 660S ALSO come with a separate cable terminated in 4.4 pentagon balanced, but you have to remove the installed 6.3 male terminated cable to use it. This is not guessing - it was in my house until two days ago.

9AA26611-2B4E-4B21-BF5E-3801B855F19D.png

It’s possible that they switched over time, or that it’s different in US and Europe, but this is how mine came last week, just as described:
1. 3m cable (installed), with 6.35 plug.
2. 6.35 to 3.5 adapter.
3. Separate 3m cable terminated in the 4.4 Pentaconn connector.
That's how mine came as well. I'm in the US.

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #8,002 of 9,628
Any feedback from anyone who has replaced their stock pads with Yaxi HD650 alcantara pads ?

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #8,003 of 9,628
I’ve been using Elite Velour pads with my HD 660S just because the memory foam is comfy and the pads have held their loft for years 🤷‍♂️

Dekoni also made “standard” velour pads for the HD 600 series, they have rounded edges and the construction mimics the stock pads… they’re supposed to measure the same, and I have a pair, but I haven’t gotten around to actually trying them yet 😂
Whenever you get around to trying the Dekoni velour to your currently installed Elite pads I’d love to know how each differs from stock pads in sound and fit 🤙🏼

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #8,004 of 9,628
I bought some replacement pads from Sennheiser. Article number: 050635.

The reason I got them was because I worry in two or three years when my current ones are falling apart, maybe replacements will be hard to find. Looking around it seems for sure that these will fit on the HD600 and HD650, but I see less saying, for sure, that they will be compatible with the HD660S.

Beyond questions of acoustics, just plain "fitting", compatability, they will be fine on the HD660S, right ?

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #8,006 of 9,628
I bought some replacement pads from Sennheiser. Article number: 050635.

The reason I got them was because I worry in two or three years when my current ones are falling apart, maybe replacements will be hard to find. Looking around it seems for sure that these will fit on the HD600 and HD650, but I see less saying, for sure, that they will be compatible with the HD660S.

Beyond questions of acoustics, just plain "fitting", compatability, they will be fine on the HD660S, right ?
Same pads on all of the 6 series & 58x. You'll want to replace them at least annually. With regular use they flatten enough in a year to audibly change the sound. They may even need to be replaced sooner if you use them several hours a day.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #8,007 of 9,628
Same pads on all of the 6 series & 58x. You'll want to replace them at least annually. With regular use they flatten enough in a year to audibly change the sound. They may even need to be replaced sooner if you use them several hours a day.
I have found that in my use case (which is about 3-5 hours a day most days) an annual replacement of the pads results in a small but noticeable difference that strikes a good balance between sound and cost.

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #8,008 of 9,628
660s are in my hand for about 10 minutes :)
And yes. The logo is filled in. I prefer empty logo, but I wanted new headphones so I'll not change them (like a little wish for a long time).

What can I say.
Build quality seems very fragile in comparison to HD650 I had some time ago.
Headphones in mat black looks very nice, but I would say that glossy material seemed to be more durable.
The ear cups feel more loose [In place where headband connect with earcup holder there is a lot of movement (at the end of metal band) . Is that normal?]. There is no resistance in comparison to older model. They are easier to fit on the head tho.

Today with HD660s I got Philips Fidelio X3 for test. X3's build material looks better. Earpads are more comfortable and better fitted on HD660s. As a whole, 660s are more comfortable.
And the cable on senns is better. X3 cable maybe is good quality, but the fabric can be heard on every move.
And Sennheiser's headphones smells much better :dt880smile:

I don't have time to test both headphones today, but tomorrow I'll compare 660s and X3 and decide which one stays.
For now, I can say that I heard about great imaging of HD660s. After a few minutes of listening, I can say that sound quality in general is very good, but it is hard to talk about imaging when everything is in the middle of your head.
HD660s is the only headphone that when I use it the imaging pop ups at first. U don't need big soundstage to have great imaging in my opinion . For example 1990 ,akg 712 hd700 that have big soundstage don't even come close to 660 imaging in my opinion.

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #8,009 of 9,628
I am using the THX onyx the last 2 weeks .( Thanks to Ichos recommendation) .
And I really wonder how is it possible to sound something so small so good ? Honestly it sounds better ( to me) than all that I have desktop or portables dac amps like nano ,micro ,zen,btr5,k5 pro , it sounds better than my big Harman Kardon.
Connected to PC via USB 3.0 it has so much power even my Sundara sound great on that little DAC amp .
Again thank u Ichos great choice.DSC_0201.JPG

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #8,010 of 9,628
I am using the THX onyx the last 2 weeks .( Thanks to Ichos recommendation) .
And I really wonder how is it possible to sound something so small so good ? Honestly it sounds better ( to me) than all that I have desktop or portables dac amps like nano ,micro ,zen,btr5,k5 pro , it sounds better than my big Harman Kardon.
Connected to PC via USB 3.0 it has so much power even my Sundara sound great on that little DAC amp .
Again thank u Ichos great choice.DSC_0201.JPG

Wow.. I may have to try it. I'll be shocked if it sounds better than the Twelve Master

Users who are viewing this thread

Back