Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 3, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #5,206 of 9,627
How much does flat, well worn pads alter the sound? Mine are well used, flat as a pancake, and my ears are super close to the drivers. Can't decide if I want to try the hybrid Dekonis, but I'll likely just order a new pair of stock pads. At any rate, I think the condition of these pads is affecting the sound.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #5,207 of 9,627
How much does flat, well worn pads alter the sound? Mine are well used, flat as a pancake, and my ears are super close to the drivers. Can't decide if I want to try the hybrid Dekonis, but I'll likely just order a new pair of stock pads. At any rate, I think the condition of these pads is affecting the sound.

A lot! More than you’d think probably. I would say that is definitely worth trying new pads before you do anything else!

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #5,209 of 9,627
Yes they are three of them. I believe it was Mike F who had or still has all three of them......

Actually I had the latest one and (still have) the old style one that was made in Romania, and I have seen one of the old style ones that was made in Ireland. @Mhog55 gave a very good description of the differences between the old style and the new style ones. The only thing I would add is that there was a small change to the Sennheiser logo which is inset into the metal grills (see photos). However, I think that this change happened sometime around the move to Romania as all of the Romanian built ones I have seen had the solid background instead of the open background. It’s such a small cosmetic change that I haven’t even seen anybody else mention it(!) and it certainly has no effect on the sound.

The sound of the headphones has not changed from the old model to the new model. However there are very small differences between individual units. I think that is an inevitable consequence when headphones have matched drivers. The whole point of taking a whole bunch of drivers and matching pairs up is that the matching is done because they don’t all sound (or rather, measure) exactly the same. If they did all sound exactly the same there would be no point in matching them! Differences though are very small. If you are super fussy or sensitive it might be worth trying a few pairs to find the one you like the sound of the best.

37BA0010-D7BE-4B2F-878A-19AAEE723B1E.jpegE23FC2B5-6E45-4B8F-A2B2-504034CD2E32.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #5,210 of 9,627
Actually I had the latest one and (still have) the old style one that was made in Romania, and I have seen one of the old style ones that was made in Ireland. @Mhog55 gave a very good description of the differences between the old style and the new style ones. The only thing I would add is that there was a small change to the Sennheiser logo which is inset into the metal grills (see photos). However, I think that this change happened sometime around the move to Romania as all of the Romanian built ones I have seen had the solid background instead of the open background. It’s such a small cosmetic change that I haven’t even seen anybody else mention it(!) and it certainly has no effect on the sound.

The sound of the headphones has not changed from the old model to the new model. However there are very small differences between individual units. I think that is an inevitable consequence when headphones have matched drivers. The whole point of taking a whole bunch of drivers and matching pairs up is that the matching is done because they don’t all sound (or rather, measure) exactly the same. If they did all sound exactly the same there would be no point in matching them! Differences though are very small. If you are super fussy or sensitive it might be worth trying a few pairs to find the one you like the sound of the best.

Mine have the bottom pictured, open style grills.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #5,211 of 9,627
Flat , worn pads will definitely alter the sound signature.
Sound stage and high frequencies will take the major hit.
Thank You, I figured as much. I'm definitely hearing less treble than I was figuring. But what is really throwing me off are vocals.

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #5,212 of 9,627
Gotta say one of the best things about this new addition to the Sennie 6 series is that I can use it as a Jack-of-all-trades type of headphone. Where the 650 often is cited as the very same, I always found it lacking when fx turning to some of the more subbass oriented albums of my collection. The 660 though is brilliant with these types of albums. Right now I’m listening to some Deadmau5 and am contemplating throwing on Autechre’s Amber afterwards. The combination of a much cleaner basement compared to it’s older brethren as well as a faster driver giving off that almost translucent feel to the transients..well it just rocks my sucketomesocks off!

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #5,213 of 9,627
Mine have the bottom pictured, open style grills.

I think you've misunderstood me - I was just referring to the Sennheiser logo, not the actual grill. All the HD660S's look identical in that respect (the grill itself, and what you see behind it) but the logo underwent a small cosmetic change, as shown in the photos. (The first photo is one I found on the net and is deceptive. I just chose it to illustrate the S logo insert).

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #5,214 of 9,627
4F1EFC0D-FFE1-41D6-94A5-4384E3A60B0C_1_201_a.jpeg
Sitting here listening to my new HD 660S headphones I bought Black Friday new on Ebay. I immediately connected my Norne S3-C balanced cable and found a Masters Dianna Krall mix on Tidal. They sound quite sweet even without break in. Maybe its me, but they sound like a cross between the 600 and 650. I have been listening to HD 650s with this cord for more than two weeks on my computer system, but I think I like these 660S better. Highs are a bit more sparkly. Bass is OK, but nothing to rave about like my ZMFs. Mids are very nice.

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #5,215 of 9,627
Sitting here listening to my new HD 660S headphones I bought Black Friday new on Ebay. I immediately connected my Norne S3-C balanced cable and found a Masters Dianna Krall mix on Tidal. They sound quite sweet even without break in. Maybe its me, but they sound like a cross between the 600 and 650. I have been listening to HD 650s with this cord for more than two weeks on my computer system, but I think I like these 660S better. Highs are a bit more sparkly. Bass is OK, but nothing to rave about like my ZMFs. Mids are very nice.
How much were they for Black Friday?

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #5,216 of 9,627
$300 New open box. Did not look like the box had been opened until I did.

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #5,218 of 9,627
New toy! Bought this NOS/open box from a dealer in Germany via Amazon.de for a bargain price. I phoned Norbert Lehmann (amazing that you can phone a company like that and speak to the designer - in fact he’s the one that picks up the phone!) and he told me (from the sn) that the unit had been sold to his Southern Germany distributor in 08/2014.

Sounds absolutely phenomenal with the HD650 and HD660S (or they with it!).
I can’t imagine that I’ll ever own a better SS headphone amp - if one even exists!

Attachments

• 9CA11E00-63D6-4BA2-8332-78E240ECD2F8.jpeg
    9CA11E00-63D6-4BA2-8332-78E240ECD2F8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 7A93A1C7-7F05-49CF-87D5-EE11B7CD84CA.jpeg
    7A93A1C7-7F05-49CF-87D5-EE11B7CD84CA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 264645E1-F6C8-4156-BFF1-E303DC611DDD.jpeg
    264645E1-F6C8-4156-BFF1-E303DC611DDD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #5,219 of 9,627
New toy! Bought this NOS/open box from a dealer in Germany via Amazon.de for a bargain price. I phoned Norbert Lehmann (amazing that you can phone a company like that and speak to the designer - in fact he’s the one that picks up the phone!) and he told me (from the sn) that the unit had been sold to his Southern Germany distributor in 08/2014.

Sounds absolutely phenomenal with the HD650 and HD660S (or they with it!).
I can’t imagine that I’ll ever own a better SS headphone amp - if one even exists!

Very nice, have fun! Thanks for the great photos of your system.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #5,220 of 9,627
I have an absolutely silly question. What does the HD-6-- community think about keeping these open grill headphones out in the open for years? Will the driver collect too much dust eventually? Or is there some reason, given the design, that one doesn't need to worry about it at all.

I am asking because I have the option to keep them on my wall (found a very nice, German made headphone holder) or in a cabinet. I am leaning toward the former, but I also know that I want to keep these in top shape for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back