Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
post-15224923
Post #4,846 of 5,662

equalspeace

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
This cable is doing quite a job. In addition to the bass, it's also bringing out some additional sweetness in the mids, and I think the sound stage has been widened ever so slightly. A/Bing with the stock cable I have confirmed these differences. This is a combo I would rec

Looking good , hope it sounds the same!

post-15224939
Post #4,848 of 5,662

equalspeace

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Nice. These people that think cables don't make a difference need to get their ears checked lol

Reactions: Ichos and donlin
post-15224944
Post #4,849 of 5,662

Mike F

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have listened and yes overall decay is good but some times a bit more fast that it should be but i can't
comment more because with the 660S the most obvious thing is the low quality of the sound.
BTW - Very interesting piece of music / solo.
Sorry about that. That’s what you get for finding things on your iPhone! :wink: Hope you enjoyed the playing anyway!

post-15226778
Post #4,853 of 5,662

galneon

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I bought a pair of HD598s several years ago. I wanted something comfortable, detailed, reasonably accurate to wear when transcribing music. They're great for that purpose, but they're not much fun. I'm not looking for something with a built-in bass-boost or anything--I'm in a Senn thread because I respect accuracy. :p But accuracy and fun factor aren't diametrically opposed, and I'm wondering how much more pleasure I might get out of the HD660Ss.

Does anyone who finds the HD598s insufferably boring enjoy immensely their HD660S?
I am guessing the two are leagues apart considering the legacy of the HD650 and these being considered a proper follow-up. FWIW, my tastes vary from jazz fusion to progressive metal (of the older sort), from (vocal) trance to breakbeats, though I primarily listen to stuff with analog instruments with decent to significant dynamic range and a lot going on at once. Life-like vocals are very important to me. So sheltered have I kept myself, I'm not sure if these details of taste even matter. :wink:

To elaborate, I'm hesitant to do too much research on this purchase or even explore other brands on my own--my guitar rig has cost me so much money (I'll never be totally happy with it), and I really don't want to develop that sort of standard for playback. I'm happy with the 3-way floorstanders in my HT setup (with which I mostly listen to stereo music on, in stereo mode). If I spent $1000+ on phones, I would probably ruin my taste for the floorstanders. I don't want to go down that road... I'm looking to spend around $500, but can be flexible.

If the HD660Ss aren't an obvious upgrade for me, are there a few other brands whose similarly priced models I should explore?

P.S.: I just got a Fiio M11, so it's possible I just want something to stick in the 4.4 mm output...

post-15226804
Post #4,854 of 5,662

kman1211

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I bought a pair of HD598s several years ago. I wanted something comfortable, detailed, reasonably accurate to wear when transcribing music. They're great for that purpose, but they're not much fun. I'm not looking for something with a built-in bass-boost or anything--I'm in a Senn thread because I respect accuracy. :p But accuracy and fun factor aren't diametrically opposed, and I'm wondering how much more pleasure I might get out of the HD660Ss.

Does anyone who finds the HD598s insufferably boring enjoy immensely their HD660S?
I am guessing the two are leagues apart considering the legacy of the HD650 and these being considered a proper follow-up. FWIW, my tastes vary from jazz fusion to progressive metal (of the older sort), from (vocal) trance to breakbeats, though I primarily listen to stuff with analog instruments with decent to significant dynamic range and a lot going on at once. Life-like vocals are very important to me. So sheltered have I kept myself, I'm not sure if these details of taste even matter. :wink:

To elaborate, I'm hesitant to do too much research on this purchase or even explore other brands on my own--my guitar rig has cost me so much money (I'll never be totally happy with it), and I really don't want to develop that sort of standard for playback. I'm happy with the 3-way floorstanders in my HT setup (with which I mostly listen to stereo music on, in stereo mode). If I spent $1000+ on phones, I would probably ruin my taste for the floorstanders. I don't want to go down that road... I'm looking to spend around $500, but can be flexible.

If the HD660Ss aren't an obvious upgrade for me, are there a few other brands whose similarly priced models I should explore?

P.S.: I just got a Fiio M11, so it's possible I just want something to stick in the 4.4 mm output...
The HD 660 S has been one of the more enjoyable Sennheisers in my experience, I found it strangely addicting to listen to. The HD 598 and it's kin are all incredibly boring to my ears. If the HD 660 S doesn't work for you, you can try some Beyers, I suggest the DT 1990, Amiron Home, or T1.2(if you find a good price on a new one) if you go that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deftone and galneon
post-15226866
Post #4,855 of 5,662

pietcux

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score

If you want fun out of the 4.4mm Pentacon, there is only one route to walk my friend. The HD series is about accuracy no fun available here. Your weapon of choice is the Sony Z7 MK2 or the Z1r. They are about fun and they come with the magical 4.4mm plug.

Reactions: galneon
post-15226867
Post #4,856 of 5,662

Ichos

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
The M11 is much better from the balanced out , so consider headphones that can be balanced.
As for the 660S they are very very good from the M11.

post-15227001
Post #4,857 of 5,662

galneon

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you. The 660S are definitely still in contention, but I have some new things to consider, like keeping my 598s around for transcribing music, and getting something more decadent for dumb pleasure-listening, when my senses are often artificially enhanced anyway and I'm somewhere in the ether.

I was sort of joking about the 4.4 mm thing--I'm not married to it over 2.5, but I definitely want a balanced connection that I can use without adapters, so I'll being going with a pair with one or the other. I had a friend who swore by Beyers around the tier of the DT 1990s, so I'm naturally predisposed in that direction, but connector type is a bit of a snag... Different standards suck. I admit I have a Bose-like reaction to Sony (and that both reactions may well be ill-informed), but I'm looking into the Z7 MK2. Not a big bass guy, but maybe that's an outdated stereotype...

I'll make a proper recommendation thread in the newb forum and let this get back on topic. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: pietcux
post-15227105
Post #4,858 of 5,662

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Is there any place online who has these marked down or on sale? I'm just seeing 5 bills everywhere. I missed out on a few from the classifieds that went around 300 bucks. Should I hold off for a while to see if prices come down... Will they come down?

post-15227154
Post #4,859 of 5,662

equalspeace

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I had the 598s when I started out in this hobby and got rid of them due to their insufferable highs and terrible bass presentation. 660s would be an immense upgrade to them in every way, including fun.

post-15227168
Post #4,860 of 5,662

phthora

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Is there any place online who has these marked down or on sale? I'm just seeing 5 bills everywhere. I missed out on a few from the classifieds that went around 300 bucks. Should I hold off for a while to see if prices come down... Will they come down?
Every couple of months Amazon sells off its stash of 'renewed' 660s, basically refurbished units, for around $400. They are currently out of stock, but it's worth keeping an eye on the page as they renew their stock of them frequently.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMCM1VB/

Also, I would imagine that there will be some sort of Black Friday deal on them this year, and that's right around the corner. If anything pops up, rest assured someone (maybe even me) will post it on the deals thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post.692119/

I'm also holding out for a lower price. $400 new and I'd buy a pair immediately.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)