Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #4,831 of 9,627
I had 650 and sent them back. They just pissed bass everywhere. I was immediately impressed because they were something different but 48 hours or so in they just sounded so tilted that I hated them. The 660S wasn't a love affair either until I got a pair that didn't have the "grain". Once I got a proper pair I was immediately enthralled. I haven't looked back since.

So I guess I have to look for the HD660S sold in a new box with an added sticker that says “New and Improved, Guaranteed Grainless Version”...

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #4,833 of 9,627
Urban legends....
If Tyll (who has proven hundreds times to be wrong or change his opinion) haven't mentioned this thing about grain the world would be different...
Brain wash.

If you go back to near the start of this thread the initial impressions were good, it was, until that review it went downhill from there. Then slowly people started to come back around and try it for themselves.

I Also remember back in the day when Tyll started a thread saying HD800 was the most incredible and musical headphone he's ever heard, well we know that quickly changed lol. I respect Tyll but I didn't agree with everything he said like some folks do. I'd rather use my owns ears to see what sounds good.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #4,835 of 9,627
Ichos, here’s something you might enjoy. This is a musician friend of mine from the UK. I’m having fun comparing the HD660S and HD650 with this!
I can appreciate what the HD660S brings to the bass (although the HD650 isn’t bad) but I do miss a bit of clarity for instance on the cymbals on the HD660S, for example from around 3.50 onwards. The cymbals just sound a bit dull to me compared to the HD650. What do you hear?

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #4,837 of 9,627
I will check it at night home and report.
But I don't own 650 anymore to do a comparison.

Oh well, then you can’t! But enjoy Tom’s playing anyway. I’m beginning to make some interesting discoveries about these two headphones. One thing that seems to have become clear to me now is that the HD650 works better at low volumes, for instance on this YouTube clip but beyond a certain volume the HD660S is definitely the winner. To be honest that volume is relatively low but I do generally listen quite low volumes so it’s a tricky issue for me. I have to say though that after turning the volume up a bit on that track I was really beginning to appreciate and enjoy the HD660S! This is on my iPhone. I still think that it would go the other way on a higher power amp, but for portable use I can really see the HD660S being the winner. I’m also really understanding why many people love these.

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #4,838 of 9,627
Ichos, here’s something you might enjoy. This is a musician friend of mine from the UK. I’m having fun comparing the HD660S and HD650 with this!
I can appreciate what the HD660S brings to the bass (although the HD650 isn’t bad) but I do miss a bit of clarity for instance on the cymbals on the HD660S, for example from around 3.50 onwards. The cymbals just sound a bit dull to me compared to the HD650. What do you hear?

Nice tune, tried on a few of my headphones, like it best on Nhoord Red V2 (similar to a Grado RS2e), its like I'm sitting a few feet away in a nice jazz club if I turn the volume up a bit over my normal listening levels. HD650 a bit too mellow and HD660S a bit harsh in the highs at times even if its not quite a bright or extended as the Nhoord Red V2.

I like to think that the level that one listens to has an influence on what headphone traits a person will prefer and also the genre.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #4,839 of 9,627
It seems that everyone of us who had owned the HD650 and sold it , we are regretting it for one reason or another!

Not I! Never liked the 650, I had it together with the 600 and wondered where the hell are the highs? Sold it and never looked back. Nowadays, I even find it difficult to pick up the 600 when I have a perfectly good 660 here!

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #4,840 of 9,627
I see the 660s as an evolution to the 6 series in two ways. (1) Imo it's a true do it all headphone in terms of genres, which the 600 and 6xx aren't. And (2) due to the ability the 660s has to play very well with DAPs, which both the 600/6xx can not do (with the exception of a select few DAPs). Those are the main reasons.

I think the 660s also trumps both with respect to imaging and sound stage. From memory, I think the 600 is just as fast (maybe a hair faster) than the 660s, but the 660s makes better use of it's speed somehow. I think it's due to the driver's imaging capability. There's just a very cohesive/engaging layering to the sound, that is attributable to the imaging and speed these headphones have, while also having a better than average sound stage width. The sound stage on the 660s is just wider than that of the 6xx, and definitely that of the 600. I would also say the mid-range and detail retrieval of the 660s is on par with the 600/6xx.

As you can probably tell which way I'm leaning, I'll just go ahead and say finally that I think the 660s is just a better headphone than either the 6xx or 600. I see the 660s as checking more boxes for most people than the 6xx/600, whilst still keeping a lot of what makes the 6 series line great.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #4,842 of 9,627

I have listened and yes overall decay is good but some times a bit more fast that it should be but i can't
comment more because with the 660S the most obvious thing is the low quality of the sound.
BTW - Very interesting piece of music / solo.

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #4,843 of 9,627
The Blue Dragon cable came to the office today. Got one with Rhodium on the connectors and 2.5mm termination. Pretty glorious so far. This cable did such a nice job with the bass on the HE500. Seems to be having a similar effect on the 660s with some slight added emphasis, tightness and definition. The burn-in continues..

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #4,844 of 9,627
So y’all know I’m speaking from experience

75526AC9-69C3-470B-B4C3-F1679816E80F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back