Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 5, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #4,876 of 9,628
It's fairly easy the same as the others but there are both channels shown.
So orange and red is HD650 and green and purple is the HD660S.
Ignore some channel imbalance between left and right and you are done.
Or compare only left or right channels ie compare the red with green or the orange with the purple.
BTW , this measured channel imbalance is very suspicious as to their measurements rig because Sennheiser especially for their 650 / 660S are famous for the perfect channel matching.

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #4,877 of 9,628
Another comparison

HD660S FR vs HD650 Hands Mod.png

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #4,879 of 9,628
HD660S preliminary graph.jpg
@jude did a lot of measurements on the HD660S. I can only find one preliminary measurement. But does anyone know where he hides them as of today?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #4,880 of 9,628
That’s my point....... I DO trust SW (I’ve used them program for a while and their calibrations are amazing) but I certainly don’t hear what their graph suggests either, but I certainly do hear what the DIY-A-H graph suggests.

There are three options as far as I can see:-

1. SW got it totally wrong (highly unlikely)

2. Sennheiser made some measurable (and audible, according to quite a few reports on here) changes to the HD660S.

3. FR graphs are so inconsistent and unreliable as to be totally useless and meaningless.

If anyone can come up with another alternative, I’d like to hear it! :)
I pick option 3. Trust your ears.

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #4,881 of 9,628
Thanks Ichos. All of those graphs confirm what I’m hearing, which is that the HD650 broadly speaking has more treble and bass than the HD660S (this is not to suggest that either it’s treble or bass are better - just that they have a higher relative level). But..... that seems to contradict early impressions that the HD660S was ‘brighter’, sometimes to a fault, than the HD650...........?

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #4,882 of 9,628
You are welcome.
Well I don't know there is a lot of misunderstanding and fake news about this headphone.
I can't comment on early impressions of other people because as Dirty Harry said opinions are like......
I will express my opinion one more time that the problem started with Tyll he buried an excellent headphone and then his opinion was reproduced by a part of the community.

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #4,883 of 9,628
I will express my opinion one more time that the problem started with Tyll he buried an excellent headphone and then his opinion was reproduced by a part of the community.

It’s funny how one’s impressions can evolve as you become more familiar with a product. As has been pointed out, Tyll changed his mind on certain headphones, and maybe with some more listening he would have appreciated the HD660S. That is certainly what is happening for me - the more I listen the more I’m appreciating what this headphone can do........

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #4,884 of 9,628
It’s funny how ones impressions can evolve as you become more familiar with a product. As has been pointed out, Tyll changed his mind on certain headphones, and maybe with some more listening he would have appreciated the HD660S. That is certainly what is happening for me - the more I listen the more I’m appreciating what this headphone can do........
I am tuning myself on the Beyer T5P 2nd Edition right now. For me it is normal that after first listening, suddenly the bass disappeared somehow, threble get messy only to jump back into their place of first listen after some time. Then the sound evoles over time to get me or not. This happened with every new headphone which I purchase. So I know by now to trust my first impression and wait for my brain to calibrate to the new sound pattern.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #4,885 of 9,628
5D15CCBF-8862-4301-B941-0FB01C4E3C8D.jpeg And the winner is.......... ME! :)

I’ve realised that I simply don’t have to choose between them - I can keep both and enjoy two of the best headphones on the market at my leisure. More to follow when I have the time, but for now the return on the HD660S is cancelled. I’m happy that I’ve made what I think is the right decision.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #4,886 of 9,628
And the winner is.......... ME! :)

I’ve realised that I simply don’t have to choose between them - I can keep both and enjoy two of the best headphones on the market at my leisure. More to follow when I have the time, but for now the return on the HD660S is cancelled. I’m happy that I’ve made what I think is the right decision.
Congrats, a very wise decision!

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #4,888 of 9,628
And the winner is.......... ME! :)

You have chosen wisely :smile_phones:

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #4,889 of 9,628
MVIMG_20191005_225415298.jpg

Some late night listening and back to topic that this don't scale with upstream gear.
A joke.
They sound indeed very good from the Fiio Q5 a tad bit lean and very loud with low gain.
Listening the same material from Azur 851C and V280 (OK much more expensive combo) the results are night and day.
More bass , slam , dynamics , heft , body , separation , imaging , stage and .... you want more?

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #4,890 of 9,628

Some late night listening and back to topic that this don't scale with upstream gear.
A joke.
They sound indeed very good from the Fiio Q5 a tad bit lean and very loud with low gain.
Listening the same material from Azur 851C and V280 (OK much more expensive combo) the results are night and day.
More bass , slam , dynamics , heft , body , separation , imaging , stage and .... you want more?

I guess it probably depends on what upstream gear. They don’t seem to work with OTL tube amps, according to DavidA. I’ll have to check on my good amps and sources next time I have them at home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back