Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 7, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #4,216 of 9,628
Finally bought a pair. My 650s get more head time than everything else, combined.

So, I wanted something with a similar sound for use at work (the 650s stay at home to use with the Woo).

Wow... glad I ignored some of the more prolific reviewers. These sound really sweet, right now, listening to Pixies "Dolittle".

May 7, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #4,217 of 9,628
Finally bought a pair. My 650s get more head time than everything else, combined.

So, I wanted something with a similar sound for use at work (the 650s stay at home to use with the Woo).

Wow... glad I ignored some of the more prolific reviewers. These sound really sweet, right now, listening to Pixies "Dolittle".

Good to hear youre enjoying them, they are a very special headphone. I dont think there are any others under 1K that can hit the spot like 660S do.

May 7, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #4,218 of 9,628
Good to hear you're enjoying them, they are a very special headphone. I dont think there are any others under 1K that can hit the spot like 660S do.

I have to give my brain time to burn-in on these, but as of right now: these are the closest 'phones to a true "all-arounder" with which I have personally listened.

May 7, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #4,219 of 9,628
I have to give my brain time to burn-in on these, but as of right now: these are the closest 'phones to a true "all-arounder" with which I have personally listened.

Oh i definitely agree and the sound will become a tad better once those pads soften up but you have to be careful in this thread, if the HD660 gets too much praise the detractors tend to come out. :grin:

What are you using for a source? i noticed the DAC makes a bigger difference than just throwing power at it like HD650.

May 8, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #4,220 of 9,628
What are you using for a source? i noticed the DAC makes a bigger difference than just throwing power at it like HD650.

It's in my signature, under "W" for work. Yeah, not sure yet about the DAC part, but the Rega has a smoothness and a sound that works really well with the 660S. I am also finding that the Rhinelander has plenty of power to drive these cans, which wasn't the case with the 650s.

IMG_20190217_153551.jpeg

May 20, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #4,221 of 9,628
20190520_124003.jpg
Heard the 660S a while back and fell in love with the timbre off this newer offering. Went to different audio boutique shops to audition the other 600 line up. From the get go, I knew I didn't want the hd650. The 600 as old as it was, sounded graceful with great ease though I wanted more in the bass department.

I honestly think Sennheiser nailed it, getting their signature sound without the "assistance" of any amp. Pair this with a decent warm and smooth dac/amp, and you get the smoothest portable combo for under 500$. I've seen the hd660s go between $320-400, and pair it up with say a xuelin ihifi 780 (which can fetch from $50/70/100) and come out with an immersive silky warm detailed experience.

For something that cost me less than half a grand, it basically brought me back to the reason why I fell in love with this hobby in the first place.
Fantastic work @Sennheiser !!!

May 21, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #4,222 of 9,628
Hello, I am looking for some help/recommendations. I have also posted this in the help and recommendations forum and I was referred to this thread so I will ask the same and if someone could give me some help that would be much appreciated!

I love my HD660S and they are close to what I want but there are a couple things I want better/different.

My amp is a JDS Labs Atom and DAC is a Topping D30. My budget isn't too strict but would like to stay $500 and under if possible for what I am asking for below. If there are recommendations above that, I am okay to save up but I really want to stay below $1000 and I am not opposed to buying cans used if available to get a cheaper price on higher priced headphones.

What I like about them:
- mids and how intimate they are
- imaging
- comfort
- weight
- clamp force.

What I want from another headphone along with what I already like about the 660S:
- sub bass could be better extended and more present
- larger soundstage while still having the mids not be too far back or recessed
- more detail if possible
- not sure how to describe what I want for highs too well but I wanna say brighter maybe? I feel like cymbals especially could be more present or sound better

May 22, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #4,223 of 9,628
Hello, I am looking for some help/recommendations. I have also posted this in the help and recommendations forum and I was referred to this thread so I will ask the same and if someone could give me some help that would be much appreciated!
I love my HD660S and they are close to what I want but there are a couple things I want better/different.
My amp is a JDS Labs Atom and DAC is a Topping D30. My budget isn't too strict but would like to stay $500 and under if possible for what I am asking for below. If there are recommendations above that, I am okay to save up but I really want to stay below $1000 and I am not opposed to buying cans used if available to get a cheaper price on higher priced headphones.
What I like about them:- mids and how intimate they are - imaging - comfort - weight - clamp force.
What I want from another headphone along with what I already like about the 660S:
- sub bass could be better extended and more present - larger sound stage while still having the mids not be too far back or recessed - more detail if possible
- not sure how to describe what I want for highs too well but I wanna say brighter maybe? I feel like cymbals especially could be more present or sound better
Assume this is only about music and not gaming and movies?
What kind of music files do you listen to and what programs do you use to play them?

May 22, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #4,225 of 9,628
Yes music. I play music from iTunes and Spotify. iTunes files are just the AAC files and not sure what most of the Spotify files are.
Try installing the free program Foobar2000 and install the WASAPI component, then play an MP3 or FLAC audio files, see if you notice anything different from streaming music audio.

May 25, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #4,227 of 9,628
I haven't visited this forum for quite a while..

Just received my HD660S from Amazon.

My (very early) impressions; the sound stage, musicality, bass, highs and timbre are better on my HD650 + Zu Mobius cable.

I love my HD650 and Zu Mobius combo. Out of all the cans I've owned, I've only kept the HD650 and Audeze LCD2, and sold the rest.

The HD650 are just so smooth.. In contrast, the HD660S seem a bit grainy and sharp.

I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable coming in the mail. Am hoping it improves the HD660S from its current state..

May 25, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #4,228 of 9,628
I haven't visited this forum for quite a while..

Just received my HD660S from Amazon.

My (very early) impressions; the sound stage, musicality, bass, highs and timbre are better on my HD650 + Zu Mobius cable.

I love my HD650 and Zu Mobius combo. Out of all the cans I've owned, I've only kept the HD650 and Audeze LCD2, and sold the rest.

The HD650 are just so smooth.. In contrast, the HD660S seem a bit grainy and sharp.

I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable coming in the mail. Am hoping it improves the HD660S from its current state..

Have you put your 650 pads on 660S? For die hard 650 fans everything else will sound brighter at first, you should try using only 660 with worn in pads for a week and then go back to 650 after.

If you still dont like them the good thing is you saved some money. I wish i could get a pair of 650s from 2014 they were amazing compared to the newer sets.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #4,229 of 9,628
Have you put your 650 pads on 660S? For die hard 650 fans everything else will sound brighter at first, you should try using only 660 with worn in pads for a week and then go back to 650 after.

If you still dont like them the good thing is you saved some money. I wish i could get a pair of 650s from 2014 they were amazing compared to the newer sets.

I have not tried my old pads on the new 660s. I've actually had to order some new ear pads and headband padding for my 650 as the foam was disintegrating..

My hd650 are from 2005 so I suppose a refreshing is in order!

I have only tried the HD660S from a Chord Mojo with pioneer xdp-300r as source. I am waiting on a 4 pin cable to try out the 660s on my Oppo 105d and Schiit Mjolnir.

I am actually considering a new amp and was thinking of either the WooAudio 22 or Headamp GSX mk2. Do these amps play nicely with the cans I have? Reason being.. I just feel something is missing with the Mjolnir... But I honestly don't know what it is.

The other option I had was to just keep the Mjolnir and add on a Gungnir multibit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back