Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 27, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #4,201 of 9,597
I always heard the HD650 is supposed to be really good, never really cared to try them though.

Went into my local Saturn, a shop in Germany where you can buy all kinds of tech - Put them on my head, listened to one track, purchased them a day later... Their sound immediately gripped me and I knew I just had to get them.

Wonderful. I'm in love. I don't even wanna get into technicalities. They just sound right, and everyone who owns them knows what I'm talking about.

Which one did you purchase, the HD650 or the HD660S?

Apr 27, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #4,202 of 9,597
Which one did you purchase, the HD650 or the HD660S?

I purchased the HD660s, but hopefully, I'll someday get a chance to listen to the HD650/HD600 as well. :) Maybe the picture didn't load correctly? I shared a picture of them in my last post and I generally think they have a beautiful design, especially now in complete black.

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #4,203 of 9,597
I purchased the HD660s, but hopefully, I'll someday get a chance to listen to the HD650/HD600 as well. :) Maybe the picture didn't load correctly? I shared a picture of them in my last post and I generally think they have a beautiful design, especially now in complete black.
Ah ok. The picture is not visible at all.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #4,208 of 9,597

@menuki buddy it's been a while. Last time was at the LZ-A4 thread! Haha, just ordered these (the 660s) too. I much PREFERRED these over the 600 and 650 after auditioning them. 600 was beautifully effortless and "nicely neutral/balanced/almost flat", but I wanted more bass. 650 felt a bit muffled, but I think the word "veiled" would be the appropriate way to describe what me heards. And the 660S tonality just pretty much hit right with it's tonality.

Bah, I disregard what others may say about their 6XX or whatever they have. Heck, if Sennheiser is discounting the 650 in favor of the new 660s... maybe there's a good reason for that. How much do I need to spend more if I don't need to amp these? Yeah, 320-400$ no brainer.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #4,210 of 9,597
@menuki buddy it's been a while. Last time was at the LZ-A4 thread! Haha, just ordered these (the 660s) too. I much PREFERRED these over the 600 and 650 after auditioning them. 600 was beautifully effortless and "nicely neutral/balanced/almost flat", but I wanted more bass. 650 felt a bit muffled, but I think the word "veiled" would be the appropriate way to describe what me heards. And the 660S tonality just pretty much hit right with it's tonality.

Bah, I disregard what others may say about their 6XX or whatever they have. Heck, if Sennheiser is discounting the 650 in favor of the new 660s... maybe there's a good reason for that. How much do I need to spend more if I don't need to amp these? Yeah, 320-400$ no brainer.

Sennheiser dont release new models every month, only when they feel its worth it. Im with Sennheiser when they state "HD 660 S surpasses the exceptional performance of its predecessor, the legendary HD 650". 660S on a budget amp like the Atom as mentioned, sounds better than 650 with a $1,000+ balanced amplifier. I have owned 650 several times with expensive headphone amps and while it has its own charm it just cant outperform 660S on a cheaper amp. Also those who say 660 cant scale is BS, It sounds exceptional from "cheap" equipment like Mojo but definitely improves futher with a Hugo2. It might be reaching its limits but its there. Why is getting great sound for less money a bad thing? because they feel like they cant use the same amp that was used with the 650, feel like its a waste? i think thats nonsense.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #4,211 of 9,597
Sennheiser dont release new models every month, only when they feel its worth it. Im with Sennheiser when they state "HD 660 S surpasses the exceptional performance of its predecessor, the legendary HD 650". 660S on a budget amp like the Atom as mentioned, sounds better than 650 with a $1,000+ balanced amplifier. I have owned 650 several times with expensive headphone amps and while it has its own charm it just cant outperform 660S on a cheaper amp. Also those who say 660 cant scale is BS, It sounds exceptional from "cheap" equipment like Mojo but definitely improves futher with a Hugo2. It might be reaching its limits but its there. Why is getting great sound for less money a bad thing? because they feel like they cant use the same amp that was used with the 650, feel like its a waste? i think thats nonsense.

I'm more inclined in getting a next tier headphone, be it say the 800s or something else, that'd probably be more logical to me anyway. That said, the current trend of iems aren't as interesting to me provided their price knowing that headphones are the way to go when reaching a higher price tag. Just my two cents (or whatever's left of it. Haha)

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #4,213 of 9,597
I have looked at the 800/S pretty extensively for years and just can't justify that price tag. It's a shame. The 660S is a wonderful second place prize though.
Hmm i am really tempted to get 660S here the amazon price here is quite acceptable (lowest around 350 eur), but then I own 600/650/800S.... i should stop with this madness lol.

How does it sound compared to 800S?

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #4,214 of 9,597
What amp and source are you using?

Running them out of my Xonar STX Essence which is a really nice soundcard built into my machine, if I chill in bed I'm using the LG V30. The Quad DAC of the LG phones should generally not be underrated. They drive these to ear-bleeding level, but most of all, they produce a really nice sound. Yes, maybe for double the price I could get a dedicated DAP with Android as well (I mainly use Spotify / Tidal, don't have any Music files offline), but it wouldn't sound twice as good.

Woah buddy, it truly has been a while! Nice to hear from you, really. Sold the LZ-A4 a loong time ago, but they were pretty amazing at the time. :p Happy to hear you're also satisfied with the 660s! The midrange and overall balance generally is truly something to be experienced...

Also, without getting off-topic too much, but this virtual instrument with a nice MIDI-keyboard and it's truly something spectacular.. it sounds so very true to life and I would usually never have the chance to play such an amazing piano in real-life, now I do get a taste of how it feels like though. Especially since the 660s just produce such a natural output... fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back