Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #1,831 of 9,627
Not trying to disagree with, or question Jude or anything, and definitely not trying to defend Tyll Hertsens, or anyone else, but several other people, including several publications, besides Tyll at Innerfidelity, have measured significantly higher bass harmonic distortion in the Sennheiser HD800S compared to the regular HD800 below 80 hz.
This was with both headphones available to measure at the same time too, just like with Jude.
Can this be explained?
I love both the HD800 and the HD800S, but, the 800S to my ears, does sound very slightly muddier in the bass, and isn't quite as distinct or clear in the bass, compared to my regular HD800, and the 800S definitely does not take to boosting the low bass with an equalizer as well as the regular HD800.
The difference between the measurements is indeed quite intriguing. Nevertheless, I was just listening to the Interstellar OST through my Hd800S connected to my stupid smartphone (yes) and I really wondered how anyone on earth would want to increase the bass, which was majestic.

Not so majestic with the hd660S, to return in topic, which can not generate the same pressure below 80 Hz (but gives a very good body to the bass pedals, although more on the upper-bass than on the lowest octaves). The Hd800S goes deeper but more "expanded", while the HD660S was thicker, and renders the lowest octaves presence with more distortion contribution. Nevertheless, I think that the HD660S does a damn good job for 420-450 euros (this is the street price here in Italy). (oh, by the way, comparing with this score also the Hd600, I really can't understand how Hertsens hears the 600 more refined than the 660S)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,833 of 9,627
From my experience, HD800S was the best in terms of comfort. I do think HD800S excels my current Aeon Open Flow in terms of comfort. But I do prefer my Aeon Open Flow sound signature to hd800s as it maintains clarity and transparency (but not as much as hd800s), but delivers nice warm sound (but perceived soundstage is not as wide as hd800s).

I would like to see Sennheiser releases new products as fast as Focal. I do think Sennheiser releases low-end products quite often (like Momentum). But I don't know why Sennheiser releases high-end products at a slower face (hd800s released 5 years after hd800s with a slight modification)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,834 of 9,627
I sometimes get so much lost in the music, that I am in the end surprised which headphone I have on. I mean all cans that I own right now are inside a certain range and the music completely takes over. Does this happen to you too at times or are you always listening to find the specific flaws that each headphone has to you?

Nope. Chill man.
I do not analyze music or try to find flaws in everything, sir.
Just pointing out inconsistencies in different measurements by different people.
I have nothing against the HD800S, and I love them, and listen to them quite often.
I actually prefer them to the Focal Utopia and sold the Utopia long ago.
Not bashing the HD800 S nor Jude at all.
Nothing is perfect. All headphones have their own flaws and weaknesses.
Maybe it's manufacturing inconsistencies, measurement inconsistencies, or even a fluke.
That's all.
Peace.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,835 of 9,627
Nope. Chill man.
I do not analyze music or try to find flaws in everything.
Just pointing out inconsistencies in different measurements by different people.
I have nothing against the HD800S, and I love them, and listen to them quite often.
Nothing is perfect. All headphones have their own flaws and weaknesses.
That's all.
Peace.
Oh sorry, I am totally relaxed over here, no worries, but thanks.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,836 of 9,627
I bought the last version last week of the King HD650, and it simply lives up to the title in my opinion, besides its legendary sound, I was very impressed from its luxurious box to its beautiful design and engineering and the photos and videos that I saw of him did not It lives up to what you see in person, what I liked most was its lovely, minimalist dark gray paint, what an art! A sennheiser is to be congratulated! The engineering and initial design to the final design of the HD6x0 line is simply a masterpiece of the headphones created to this day. In my opinion I can certainly compare Sennheiser with his features and engineering to the minimalist Mies Van Der Rohe.

Comparing the ear cup pads of my 650 with the photos of the 660's cushions are the same, is it that the new HD6x0 are already coming with the new cushion ?! sennheiser said the new cushions are the same as the 6x0.

Dec 27, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #1,837 of 9,627
I sometimes get so much lost in the music, that I am in the end surprised which headphone I have on. I mean all cans that I own right now are inside a certain range and the music completely takes over. Does this happen to you too at times or are you always listening to find the specific flaws that each headphone has to you?

That happens to me as well actually. For example earlier today I was thinking I was listening to the HD 660 S but it was actually the Amiron.

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,838 of 9,627
The way people respond to this "660 is the successor" marketing will be entirely subjective.

Personally, I'm over here happier than a school girl listening to these 660's. They are literally EVERYTHING I ever sat there wishing a 600/650 sounded like. Tyll says grain...maybe? More like, no "veil." At all. I have a set of 600's sitting right next to me as well, so I am operating on fresh A/B's and not memory. I'm a Grado lover so, honestly, saying I love these cans means a lot. Like I said, though (and as I'm sure we all know by now) someone who loves those 600/650 genetics will probably look at these like Tyll does in that video...such a sad face.

Plus, these are SEXY. 600's look like a bad marble countertop.

(Tested with an Icon HP8 and an AQ Dragonfly)

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #1,839 of 9,627
Now my hearing may not be as "Golden" as some on here and I'm usually listening to my HD660S via a Dragonfly Red, but I'm also finding Tidal played directly out of my iPhone SE 128GB also sounds really good. Just have to have volume set a couple of steps below max. (iPhone SE used purely as a small music player). I'm using included 4.4mm balanced cable with a 4.4mm to 3.5mm SE adapter (less bulk than big cable with included 3.5mm adapter).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,840 of 9,627
Now my hearing may not be as "Golden" as some on here and I'm usually listening to my HD660S via a Dragonfly Red, but I'm also finding Tidal played directly out of my iPhone SE 128GB also sounds really good. Just have to have volume set a couple of steps below max. (iPhone SE used purely as a small music player). I'm using included 4.4mm balanced cable with a 4.4mm to 3.5mm SE adapter (less bulk than big cable with included 3.5mm adapter).
Your ears are golden ears. They are the only ones that you will ever have.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #1,841 of 9,627
Had them a month now and also finding them the most comfortable headphones I've ever used by far. I didn't experience the strong clamping pressure myself and can listen for hours without discomfort or getting warm ears. I nearly gave up on headphones compared to the comfort & audio quality of my Shure SE846 IEM's but now mostly using HD660S at home and my SE846's when away/at work.

As I've mentioned before, the HD800 did nothing for me but just love sound out of these, just as much as with my SE846's (better in some respects).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #1,842 of 9,627
Guys, here I am with HD 660s and my phone LG G6 (with Quad DAC).

The power is more than enough but the sound signature I get is not truly pleasant.

I feel the treble fatiguing and I would like to know the true sound of the HD 660s if my phone is a bad match...

Thanks to Amazon in Spain I can return the sennheiser before the end of February if I'm not convinced.

So, please, can you recommend a nice DAC/Amp in a price level clearly under the 400€ of the chord mojo?

It would be nice to be compatible with the android app USB Audio player for Tidal hi res music.

I see the new Fiio Q1 as a candidate. I may try it.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #1,843 of 9,627
Guys, here I am with HD 660s and my phone LG G6 (with Quad DAC).

The power is more than enough but the sound signature I get is not truly pleasant.

I feel the treble fatiguing and I would like to know the true sound of the HD 660s if my phone is a bad match...

Thanks to Amazon in Spain I can return the sennheiser before the end of February if I'm not convinced.

So, please, can you recommend a nice DAC/Amp in a price level clearly under the 400€ of the chord mojo?

It would be nice to be compatible with the android app USB Audio player for Tidal hi res music.

I see the new Fiio Q1 as a candidate. I may try it.
If you find the treble fatiguing with your phone it might be that the HD660S is not for you since to me the treble was quite smooth and not fatiguing with any of the DAPs, phones, and amps that I tried with it. Devices I tried are: iPhone 6S, Galaxy S8, Fiio X3ii, AK120, and a few other amps.

Dec 28, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,844 of 9,627
That's possible. And it's sad because everything else is great. It's not much more efficient than 600 / 650 but it is enough to be perfectly powered by LG Quad DAC phones.

I will "burn" the headphones for a month and I'll see if I adapt to them or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back