Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #13,967 of 46,499
Just did the foam mod on these, replaced with some nylon stocking material (I'd suggest finding sheets of something similar from an arts and crafts store; I bought actual nylon stockings and they were a real pain to cut, kept rolling up on me). I find that it makes the sound a little more forward, and perhaps a bit clearer too, compared to that thick stock foam.

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #13,969 of 46,499

The HD800 is an upgrade over the HD650 in every way. The Bifrost/Lyr combo is ok as a stop-gap. I'd recommend 60's Amperex Bugle Boy tubes for the HD800.

You may very well be right. But for those who prefer a darker more relaxed signature with a nice mid bass presentation, would the hd800 really considered an upgrade? Just asking...

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #13,970 of 46,499
Never heard HD650 with Crack but had chance to hear both HD700 and HD800 with it and I think that if refined clarity and details are important HD800 will be considered upgrade over HD700. They also would be upgrade over HD650 for anyone who wants wider sounstage and better instrument separation. I tried few different tube pairs and HD800 are not bright with them but since everyone hears differently he can find pairing which will make him/her happy

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #13,971 of 46,499
  Just did the foam mod on these, replaced with some nylon stocking material (I'd suggest finding sheets of something similar from an arts and crafts store; I bought actual nylon stockings and they were a real pain to cut, kept rolling up on me). I find that it makes the sound a little more forward, and perhaps a bit clearer too, compared to that thick stock foam.

I tried this mod for a few weeks but ended up reverting back to stock. It does make the higher registers a tad more prominent. However the lush, enveloping qualities of the mid range are somewhat diminished. On some recordings sibilance is more pronounced and the upper mids are more etched. Resolution isn't magically heightened with this mod. That's an illusion. It's a subtle colouration to the distinct HD650 signature that lessens what makes this headphone great IMO.

The HD800 is an upgrade over the HD650 in every way. The Bifrost/Lyr combo is ok as a stop-gap. I'd recommend 60's Amperex Bugle Boy tubes for the HD800.

You may very well be right. But for those who prefer a darker more relaxed signature with a nice mid bass presentation, would the hd800 really considered an upgrade? Just asking...

This train of thought is borne from the assumption the HD800 is always overly bright and shouty. That's the case if your upstream components aren't up to scratch. People here fixate on amps, but IME the source is vital when you step up to the HD800. Get those things right and you'll hear the H800 present recordings as they are. You won't miss a forced mid bass presentation, as what you'll hear is accurate bass that extends deeper than the HD650 but is less overpowering than the LCD-2. A smooth relaxed signature is what you'll get if the song was recorded in such a manner. Explosive dynamics and pace is what you'll be assaulted with if the recording calls for it. Live with the HD800 and adequate components, then go back to the HD650. You'll hear the HD650's signature in everything. That's its strength and weakness.

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #13,972 of 46,499
The HD650 sounds good with just about any amplifier. The voicing changes are fairly minor, but better amplifiers and sources will push more detail out of the HD650s, up to a point. Those qualities are one of the things that makes the HD650s so popular. I find the HD800 voicing changes significantly with different amps and sources--and the quality doesn't necessarily correlate with the cost of the amp. It's not hard to get detail out of the HD800, and you can get neutral voicing with the right signal chain.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #13,973 of 46,499
The HD650 sounds good with just about any amplifier. The voicing changes are fairly minor, but better amplifiers and sources will push more detail out of the HD650s, up to a point. Those qualities are one of the things that makes the HD650s so popular. I find the HD800 voicing changes significantly with different amps and sources--and the quality doesn't necessarily correlate with the cost of the amp. It's not hard to get detail out of the HD800, and you can get neutral voicing with the right signal chain.

I don't agree because I heard HD650 with many different amps, some are very expensive such as Burson 160D for example, and they were lacking deep punchy bass with most of them so they very picky with pairing

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #13,974 of 46,499
I don't agree because I heard HD650 with many different amps, some are very expensive such as Burson 160D for example, and they were lacking deep punchy bass with most of them so they very picky with pairing

Considering the HD650 sounds great out of the $99 Magni with plenty of bass punch, I wouldn't call it picky. The HD650s sound tremendous out of a forward SS amp like the Mjolnir and great out of a tube hybrid like the Lyr. People love them with OTLs like the Crack and Valhalla. There's an astounding range of amps being used to power the HD650s with many happy users. From what I've read about the the Burson 160D, it seems like a bad pairing with other headphones too, so that may be an amp to avoid.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #13,975 of 46,499
Considering the HD650 sounds great out of the $99 Magni with plenty of bass punch, I wouldn't call it picky. The HD650s sound tremendous out of a forward SS amp like the Mjolnir and great out of a tube hybrid like the Lyr. People love them with OTLs like the Crack and Valhalla. There's an astounding range of amps being used to power the HD650s with many happy users. From what I've read about the the Burson 160D, it seems like a bad pairing with other headphones too, so that may be an amp to avoid.

For me E17, O2, CTH,  Audioengine D1, DragonFly and some 2pc Woo Audio (sorry don't know model number but it takes a lot of desk space) is to avoid too then

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #13,976 of 46,499
Just got me a set of HD650's, running off an Audioquest Dragonfly streaming Spotify @ 320kbps. Not the pinnacle of audio setups, but the best I was able to afford. Gotta say, was a little disappointed at first -- they sounded exactly like my Shure SE535's. 
Que a couple dozen hours of playback/burni-in, and I cannot take them off my head. They're really luscious, a lot more detailed than the 535's, not a trace of harshness/sibilence, comfortable (the clamp has eased up to a gentle squeeze) and just so very pleasant to listen to for hours on end. They really make me happy! I think the Dragonfly is a good pair-up -- it's oh-so-slightly bright, helping to bring out detail and sparkle, with plenty of power for the cans. I've never gone above the 70% volume mark on my laptop. A nice little setup, all for under six Benjamins.
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Head-Fi. The forum has been super helpful and very accurate with their description of these headphones.

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #13,977 of 46,499
Haha, welcome! Glad to see you're here for your first post. The HD650s are seriously wonderful cans
beerchug.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #13,978 of 46,499
Welcome aboard!!!!

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #13,979 of 46,499
Always good to see a new member start out on the HD650 thread!

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #13,980 of 46,499
Hey guys,

It's finally time I made an account. Regarding the HD650s, I know there are amps that would make the "sennheiser veil" disappear but are there any amps that can make the HD650 a fast headphone? Or at least a headphone that fares well with fast music?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back