Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #11,357 of 46,499
jcdamascenojr I would suggest you just try one of them as they are really very similar. If you have not had a taste of some different headphones before you will probably not be able to make an informed decision anyway as it is down to preference. In very general terms the 650s are warmer and bit more coloured sounding than the 600s which are more neutral. I would not worry that much about how much they cost. If you buy either of them second hand they will not really depreciate at all if you get them for a decent price. If I were you I be more concerned about building a system around whichever headphone you chose to create something with good synergy. I am sure you will be happy with either one. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #11,358 of 46,499
Haven't heard the 600s, bought the 650 because Senn had a great deal on them a few months ago. They are very sensitive to what drives them. I have a HiSound Anniversary 3, sounds great with me 650s. Had to send it back to China for service, used an iPod Touch with LOD to a cheap iBasso T3. I started hearing the 650 "veil", didn't like the sound, started feeling like I made a mistake. Just got the Anniversary 3, loving the sound quality again. I listen to Power Pop (Fountains of Wayne, Aimee Mann, others), jazz, rock, all sorts of other genres. No more "veil", makes me want to dance. Really happy with it again. I'm sure there are 600 owners just as happy... Your source (and availability of a decent deal) are big factors.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #11,359 of 46,499
Quote:
I doubt people believe the more colored the headphone the better.... thats like saying I like my tv on full bright come on man... their has to be a balance of things and hd650 does a great job. 

I didn't say that all people do but many 
wink.gif
. And the TV is actually a great analogy. Many people like to have unnatural picture settings on their TVs with way too much color and also too high contrast and sharpness settings.  
smile.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #11,360 of 46,499
Quote:

wink.gif
. And the TV is actually a great analogy. Many people like to have unnatural picture settings on their TVs with way too much color and also too high contrast and sharpness settings.  
smile.gif

remind me to never watch a football game or movie at their house LOL ! *thinking of people who I might know that would do this* >_< I got nothing lmao ! 

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #11,361 of 46,499
Quote:

wink.gif
smile.gif

Thats true, I have a friend that has an amazing plasma tv and he has the contrast turned right up... It annoys me everytime I'm there.

To Wazzupi :) All headphones are coloured to different degree's. We are in the 650 appreciation thread and this headphone is beautifully coloured. But coloured it is. In fact it is too coloured for the peeps it doesn't agree with. You wouldn't get that laid-back charm if it was tuned to be super transparent. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #11,362 of 46,499
Every component has some kind of coloration /distortion. The tube sound many love is supposed to be 2nd/even order harmonics, solid state more odd order. Recordings are equalized /compressed. Concerts even sound different depending on your seat, crowding, etc. An acoustic set in your living room may be the closest you can get, and even then the room would affect the sound. This applies to megabuck components as well, though the amount of distortion is reduced (but not eliminated) as you move to higher end gear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #11,363 of 46,499
Quote:
Hey,

I've posted a thread last week about which hp to buy and most people suggested me HD6X0, and now I have to make my mind between HD650 or HD600. Since I think many of you have been there before, I'd like to know your opinion about them. So I have a little survey for you who owned/tried extensively both:

1) What's your experience with them? (How long have you listened/compared/owned)

2) Why did you end up choosing the HD650 over the HD600?

3) What music do you listen to?

4) Which one would you choose for rock - mainly alternative and indie -, folk, lo-fi and a bit of classical?

5) Which one would you choose for piano?

6) Which one would you say is more forgiving with bad records?

7) Which one would you say has the most lifelike timbre?

8) Which one would you say has the biggest "wow" factor coming from entry phones?

9) Would you choose the HD650 again, even with today's prices?

10) How big would you say each of the differences above are? 0,1%? 5%? Night and day?

I know it's all very subjective, but I'm really curious to listen to your experience and I'd mean a lot to me since I can't audition them anywhere around... :/

Thanks!

I own both and I think the 650's are just the better all rounder IMO. I guess it's kind of a boring qualification but that's not the case at all. It encompasses quite a lot of things.
The greatest asset of the 600's is the incredibly natural sound. It's really something special and the 650 doesn't quite have that, but in return, it has a very enjoyable, smooth and polished sound with great treble that invites you to listen for hours on end. The 650 is less fatiguing than the 600's; the 600's aren't necessarily fatiguing but I find every so often that their treble is stronger than I like.
The 650's have a more neutral sound - everything, from bass up to treble, sounds integrated and uniform. The only exception is the subbass, which I guess could be considered the 6x0's only (pseudo)weakness. On the 600, I sometimes feel the midbass is just a little less than I'd like (though by no means weak) and the treble seems to stand out just a tiny bit for me. Very, very, rarely do I experience issues like that with the 650. I always enjoy the rich mids, I always appreciate the bass and the treble is never too much or too little.

The reason I call the 650's the better all rounder is because eventually, I always end up going back to them. I might periodically use the 600 because I love the natural sound. But ultimately, the 650's (to my ears) perfect frequency response always wins me over.

Ofcourse, this is all assuming an amp that doesn't mismatch impedance and has little to no deviations on its frequency response (+/- 1 db). I could easily see a speaker amp providing the 650's with an unwanted mid-bass hump.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #11,366 of 46,499
Hi!
For starters: 'tis my first post on Head-Fi. WOOHOO!

I, literally, just got my hands on a used pair of HD650 delivered to my doorstep for $180, fifteen minutes ago. This is as far as I know, an absolute steal.
While I greatly appreciate the fact that I essentially paid for a bag of pretzels and got a (supposedly) great pair of cans, I feel that I somewhat missed out on the birth/burn-in period of 'em.

Upon first entering this thread and beholding it's incredible length I decided to skip the mindless searching for experiences and whatnot, and ask you all upfront:
Have I missed something?
Thoughts on amping?

Initially, to me with my references (PC -> Aune T1 -> AKG K550), they don't sound (or physically feel/look) like a can worth ~$500 and while I realize that great source and/or amping is key to making these sound great, I have a hard time seeing them go from night -> day. 'tis a good thing I got them for cheaps, for I know not if I'd keep 'em would they have cost me $350+.

Will see about getting some extensive private time with these before making any judgements.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #11,367 of 46,499
Quote:
Hi!
For starters: 'tis my first post on Head-Fi. WOOHOO!

I, literally, just got my hands on a used pair of HD650 delivered to my doorstep for $180, fifteen minutes ago. This is as far as I know, an absolute steal.
While I greatly appreciate the fact that I essentially paid for a bag of pretzels and got a (supposedly) great pair of cans, I feel that I somewhat missed out on the birth/burn-in period of 'em.

Upon first entering this thread and beholding it's incredible length I decided to skip the mindless searching for experiences and whatnot, and ask you all upfront:
Have I missed something?
Thoughts on amping?

Initially, to me with my references (PC -> Aune T1 -> AKG K550), they don't sound (or physically feel/look) like a can worth ~$500 and while I realize that great source and/or amping is key to making these sound great, I have a hard time seeing them go from night -> day. 'tis a good thing I got them for cheaps, for I know not if I'd keep 'em would they have cost me $350+.

Will see about getting some extensive private time with these before making any judgements.

I agree they don't look like 500 bucks cans at first. It takes a while before you start appreciating their build. When for instance at some point when you want to clean them you find out how easy it is to take them apart. When the pressure on your ears starts to diminish and you start to realize how incredibly comfortable they are. They are tight and don't move from their position. The earcups are deep enough that pretty much any ears can fit in. There are no pressure points on your head. It doesn't cause sweat or heat build up. They're light as a feather but when you have them on, they feel rock solid. There are no sounds coming from mechnical parts (once they've been used for a while).
The only reason I point this out is because I really feel the build quality of the 650 is severely underestimated.

As for their sound, I guess it's just a personal thing... Hopefully you'll start to appreciate them shortly. If not, then in your place, you ought to be able to get an interesting sale out of them.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #11,368 of 46,499
Quote:

I agree they don't look like 500 bucks cans at first. It takes a while before you start appreciating their build. When for instance at some point when you want to clean them you find out how easy it is to take them apart. When the pressure on your ears starts to diminish and you start to realize how incredibly comfortable they are. They are tight and don't move from their position. The earcups are deep enough that pretty much any ears can fit in. There are no pressure points on your head. It doesn't cause sweat or heat build up. They're light as a feather but when you have them on, they feel rock solid. There are no sounds coming from mechnical parts (once they've been used for a while).
The only reason I point this out is because I really feel the build quality of the 650 is severely underestimated.

As for their sound, I guess it's just a personal thing... Hopefully you'll start to appreciate them shortly. If not, then in your place, you ought to be able to get an interesting sale out of them.

In regards to the build quality, I wasn't comparing them to $25-50 headphones but much rather the quite elegant and all the more sturdy AKG K550. They're not moons apart, but they feel plasticky in comparison. The creaking will hopefully settle over time.
The guy who sold 'em to me said that he's owned and used them for quite some time, but they look and feel brand-new (clamping galore!) so I'm not sure our respective views of "quite some time" are even remotely similar.

I've heard of the so called Sennheiser "veil", but can't really say that I'm experiencing any such feat w/ these. They're not as stingy/harsh/"trebly" as the K550 but they definitely don't sound "veiled" in any way, to me at least. They do reach deeper and the lower frequencies are louder than on the K550, but feel somewhat sluggish instead.
It doesn't feel fair comparing the two though, having their design and purposes in mind. Apples and oranges...

I don't dislike 'em, but they haven't swept me away just yet
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Oh, by the way. Is it possible to use the HD600's grills(?) on these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back