Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #11,386 of 46,525
Quote:
With regards to the "colored" vs. "neutral" argument, I tend to think of it as I would musical instruments. 

This is a bit of a stretch, but classical music aficionados make a distinction between playing a work with "period" instruments vs. modern instruments. For example, an 18th century composition might most accurately be performed with instruments built to the specifications and materials of the 18th century. Modern, 21st-century instruments may have superior performance attributes, but do not reflect the original composer's intention and sound of the time, and are therefore less accurate. Of course you have many interpretations of intent and classical people have debates about which ensemble does it best, etc. etc. Somewhere in there might be an analogy about colored vs. neutral transducers.

Perhaps a better example is the fellow who mentioned the various sound signatures of different performance venues (studio, concert hall, living room, etc.). There's not really an absolute standard to achieve here, although I guess you could argue that the world's truly greatest headphones and speakers should somehow play back all those different recordings perfectly, which seems a bit unreasonable at any practical cost and design. Which brings up the core cause of audiophillia in general I suppose. So I'll stop there. Suffice to say I really like how the HD-650 sound for most applications, because or in spite of the coloration, such as it is.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #11,387 of 46,525
Quote:
Hi! Long time lurker in these forums. Finally bought my first audiophile hp, broke the bank but it was really worth it.

Currently running a Xonar STX > HD650 (I'm planning to get a better DAC/AMP, but wallet is still borked 
frown.gif
)

Haven't burned these phones yet but I'm currently loving it's sound sig. I mostly listen to edm/techno, sometimes a bit of classics/oldies and some ambient/gregorian depending on mood. Tried the Q701 and didn't like how the q701 fits my head and the lumps on the headband are a bit irritating after awhile. Also tried the DT990 premiums and loved the comfort, almost kept these cans but for some reason the treble really bothers me quite a bit.

I like the padding of the 650 cups, not very soft and not rock hard, still prefer the beyer pads tho. Too much clamp but I'm hoping it will loosen up after awhile. The gap in the middle of the head padding feels awkward for me though.

Build quality wise it felt a little bit cheap due to the plastic overall build and glossy finish, but after manhandling a bit I realized it considerably sturdy except for the headband itself. After checking the drivers, I noticed a hologram thingy sticker in the left earcup, inside the mesh right below the driver but none on the right cup, anyone know what that is?

aaaaand any recommendations for a desktop amp? I'm gonna grab a desktop amp first while using the stx as dac, my budget is around 300-400$ for the amp ( still saving up for it. ) 
k701smile.gif

i got my balanced dac amp ..audiogd 10,32 for $$ slightly more...... quite good allrounder for the money...
my best buy so far.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #11,388 of 46,525
just got my first first pair of HD650s this past week and what can i say but WOW! I previously got myself an ALO Audio Pan Am (the russian tubes upgrade) and matched with the HD650s WOW x2! I had the AKG k702 annies previously but returned them and decided to try the HD650s. There's so many pages here I couldn't read them all, but anyone else here have the HD650s with the Pan Am? If so what tubes are you running? I've got some mullard tubes on the way and can't wait....this addiction, it's painful for my wallet...:)

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #11,389 of 46,525
Quote:
just got my first first pair of HD650s this past week and what can i say but WOW! I previously got myself an ALO Audio Pan Am (the russian tubes upgrade) and matched with the HD650s WOW x2! I had the AKG k702 annies previously but returned them and decided to try the HD650s. There's so many pages here I couldn't read them all, but anyone else here have the HD650s with the Pan Am? If so what tubes are you running? I've got some mullard tubes on the way and can't wait....this addiction, it's painful for my wallet...
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi, syobwoc! You have already learned an important lesson here. Addiction to gear is painful to your wallet.
biggrin.gif

BTW we are all enablers....You do need more....
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #11,390 of 46,525
Quote:
just got my first first pair of HD650s this past week and what can i say but WOW! I previously got myself an ALO Audio Pan Am (the russian tubes upgrade) and matched with the HD650s WOW x2! I had the AKG k702 annies previously but returned them and decided to try the HD650s. There's so many pages here I couldn't read them all, but anyone else here have the HD650s with the Pan Am? If so what tubes are you running? I've got some mullard tubes on the way and can't wait....this addiction, it's painful for my wallet...
smily_headphones1.gif

I know coming around here for headphone information four years ago has resulted in a lighter wallet, but much more enjoyment out of music.  Enjoy and get used to Pan Am with the HD650's, and fight that urge to upgrade for now!

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #11,391 of 46,525
Quote:
amp onlyi am having a 650 with silver cable... ( other equipt.DAC around $600acAir/ Audivarna, Wireworld pwrgod 3serd, rca...Lat usb ) right this moment, i can listen to it a few ways in solidstate:
1) on a BCL/dac built-in
2) on an AudioGd 10 dac/amp
3) on an AudioGd as dac + BCL as amp

My preference is option 3.... the soundstage imaging is just better in all ways, more sense of realism...i attribute this mainly to the AudioGd dac (vs BCLdac);
the quality of the "sound" is more  REFINED, SATURATED with microdetails on the BCL as amp...v captivating, draws my soul into the music...
this is v evident as i swapped between amps. 

"veiled and slow" wont be my description for my setups.  i cant speak for other setups. :p

I agree, my hd650 coupled with the bcl (amp only) is not veiled or slow. Can someone recommend a good dac around $600. Any thoughts on a used audio gd 3se or a ee minimax. Currently using a essence st as a dac which i can say is the weak link in the set up.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #11,392 of 46,525
Quote:
Hi! Long time lurker in these forums. Finally bought my first audiophile hp, broke the bank but it was really worth it.

Currently running a Xonar STX > HD650 (I'm planning to get a better DAC/AMP, but wallet is still borked 
frown.gif
)

Haven't burned these phones yet but I'm currently loving it's sound sig. I mostly listen to edm/techno, sometimes a bit of classics/oldies and some ambient/gregorian depending on mood. Tried the Q701 and didn't like how the q701 fits my head and the lumps on the headband are a bit irritating after awhile. Also tried the DT990 premiums and loved the comfort, almost kept these cans but for some reason the treble really bothers me quite a bit.

I like the padding of the 650 cups, not very soft and not rock hard, still prefer the beyer pads tho. Too much clamp but I'm hoping it will loosen up after awhile. The gap in the middle of the head padding feels awkward for me though.

Build quality wise it felt a little bit cheap due to the plastic overall build and glossy finish, but after manhandling a bit I realized it considerably sturdy except for the headband itself. After checking the drivers, I noticed a hologram thingy sticker in the left earcup, inside the mesh right below the driver but none on the right cup, anyone know what that is?

aaaaand any recommendations for a desktop amp? I'm gonna grab a desktop amp first while using the stx as dac, my budget is around 300-400$ for the amp ( still saving up for it. ) 
k701smile.gif

You can read my review of the iCAN amp. It pairs very well with the HD650s and is only $250.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #11,393 of 46,525
Quote:

This is a bit of a stretch, but classical music aficionados make a distinction between playing a work with "period" instruments vs. modern instruments. For example, an 18th century composition might most accurately be performed with instruments built to the specifications and materials of the 18th century. Modern, 21st-century instruments may have superior performance attributes, but do not reflect the original composer's intention and sound of the time, and are therefore less accurate. Of course you have many interpretations of intent and classical people have debates about which ensemble does it best, etc. etc. Somewhere in there might be an analogy about colored vs. neutral transducers.

Perhaps a better example is the fellow who mentioned the various sound signatures of different performance venues (studio, concert hall, living room, etc.). There's not really an absolute standard to achieve here, although I guess you could argue that the world's truly greatest headphones and speakers should somehow play back all those different recordings perfectly, which seems a bit unreasonable at any practical cost and design. Which brings up the core cause of audiophillia in general I suppose. So I'll stop there. Suffice to say I really like how the HD-650 sound for most applications, because or in spite of the coloration, such as it is.

I don't know. While I'll admit I haven't purchased a musical instrument in a long, long time, I do remember when the brand-spanking new silver-plated flute I bought sounded much, much better than the entry level flute I purchased years before. While I can't say it was a difference between "warmth" and "neutrality", there definitely was a difference in sound. 

What I do know, for sure, though, is the way you play wind instruments (can't speak for string instruments, as I've never played them), can affect the warmth and fullness of the sound, all depending on how the instrument player breaths into the wind instrument. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #11,394 of 46,525
Listened to them, and them only for a week. 

I tried, oh how I really did try. 

But I still find them way too laid back. I understand and can hear why they so highly praised, but perhaps the hd650 are no for me. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #11,395 of 46,525

I don't know. While I'll admit I haven't purchased a musical instrument in a long, long time, I do remember when the brand-spanking new silver-plated flute I bought sounded much, much better than the entry level flute I purchased years before. While I can't say it was a difference between "warmth" and "neutrality", there definitely was a difference in sound. 

What I do know, for sure, though, is the way you play wind instruments (can't speak for string instruments, as I've never played them), can affect the warmth and fullness of the sound, all depending on how the instrument player breaths into the wind instrument. 

There is a dramatic difference in the sound character of 18th century "period" instruments (and modern copies of these instruments) and modern instruments. I perform regularly on both modern flutes (one silver/platinum alloy flute and another all gold flute), and also in a period music ensemble on both 18th century style flutes and oboes (all made of either European boxwood, ebony or African blackwood). The difference between the gold and silver/platinum flutes are subtle - the gold sounds slightly warmer to me, but I am not sure that the audience could detect any difference (I seriously doubt it). The Baroque instruments sound and respond very differently from their modern counterparts. I have performed Baroque flute concerti on both modern and Baroque flutes, and I find it extremely difficult to make the modern instruments "sound Baroque". Whereas on the period instruments, the articulations and phrasing flow very naturally - much more delicacy and nuance are possible. This makes sense given that the modern flutes were made to project in the large orchestras of the 19th century and later, while the Baroque instruments were deployed in smaller, more intimate ensembles and venues.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I listen to a great many recordings of 18th Century music played on period instruments, and to my ears the HD650's render this music very naturally. Perhaps the best among the headphones I own (including LCD-3; ATH-D900; HD580; DT880; Denon D2000).

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #11,396 of 46,525
Quote:
There is a dramatic difference in the sound character of 18th century "period" instruments (and modern copies of these instruments) and modern instruments. I perform regularly on both modern flutes (one silver/platinum alloy flute and another all gold flute), and also in a period music ensemble on both 18th century style flutes and oboes (all made of either European boxwood, ebony or African blackwood). The difference between the gold and silver/platinum flutes are subtle - the gold sounds slightly warmer to me, but I am not sure that the audience could detect any difference (I seriously doubt it). The Baroque instruments sound and respond very differently from their modern counterparts. I have performed Baroque flute concerti on both modern and Baroque flutes, and I find it extremely difficult to make the modern instruments "sound Baroque". Whereas on the period instruments, the articulations and phrasing flow very naturally - much more delicacy and nuance are possible. This makes sense given that the modern flutes were made to project in the large orchestras of the 19th century and later, while the Baroque instruments were deployed in smaller, more intimate ensembles and venues.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I listen to a great many recordings of 18th Century music played on period instruments, and to my ears the HD650's render this music very naturally. Perhaps the best among the headphones I own (including LCD-3; ATH-D900; HD580; DT880; Denon D2000).

Can you confirm my second point, though, that a player can change the warmth of their wind/brass instruments by the way they breath and blow into their instruments? 

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #11,399 of 46,525
Can you confirm my second point, though, that a player can change the warmth of their wind/brass instruments by the way they breath and blow into their instruments? 

You can definitely change the tone color of the woodwinds that I play (both modern and baroque) by controlling
/directing the airstream and embouchure control. Good breath support is needed in all cases.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #11,400 of 46,525
Anyone know of of a good aftermarket cable that basically keeps the stock cable's warmth? Just want a nice cable for both my LCD2 and HD650. Probably an HD650 cable with LCD2 adapters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back