Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #11,341 of 46,506
Well make sure you get the better Q701 rather than K701.

I'm still happily enjoying my 650s but now upgrading my Dac rather than 650 cables to get more out of them and my speakers. 650 cable will come later.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #11,344 of 46,506
pls share if you do compare. i've heard only good things about the BCL but others have also recommended tube for the HD650s (Woo 6). decisions, decisons !!!

Both tube and have its own sound, one day I prefer tube, one day I might prefer ss. As for BCL, the sound is very very clean, refreshing, very detail but smooth, extended treble, airy, balance accross upper, mid and bass frequency, with good impact, not exessively. Vocal is upfront but with the correct weight, not jut upper mid like typical grado sound.
It's simply very good imo.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #11,346 of 46,506
Quote:
The Q701 is warmer and has more bass than the K701 from what i read so far.

Is warmer better?

The newer K701 is warm anyways and has great bass. Suppose Harmon products do have fancy green cables though..
k701smile.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #11,348 of 46,506
Quote:
Both tube and have its own sound, one day I prefer tube, one day I might prefer ss. As for BCL, the sound is very very clean, refreshing, very detail but smooth, extended treble, airy, balance accross upper, mid and bass frequency, with good impact, not exessively. Vocal is upfront but with the correct weight, not jut upper mid like typical grado sound.
It's simply very good imo.

Bull's eye.... :p

============

btw, anyone managed to angle the drivers ? and if so, does it improve the imaging significantly?

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #11,349 of 46,506
Quote:
Got a Yulong D18. It was really a major upgrade but most importantly for me it tightened up the bass and made it punchier. Also the highs are much smoother now. 

Congrats on the D18, it's an awesome DAC. What amp did you pair it with? DOnt forget to try both the XLR and RCA outputs as they are tuned differently.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #11,350 of 46,506
Quote:
Congrats on the D18, it's an awesome DAC. What amp did you pair it with? DOnt forget to try both the XLR and RCA outputs as they are tuned differently.

Right now I am still using my old DAC/amp the travagans white but just not using the DAC section. I want to sell it first before getting something new. I am probably going to go for a WA6 (I really want to get a taste of the tube sound). I dont have XLR inputs on my amp but it would be interesting to try. I am not really a detail junkie, I am looking for PRaT, musicality, and a 'analog' sound. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #11,352 of 46,506
Quote:
Right now I am still using my old DAC/amp the travagans white but just not using the DAC section. I want to sell it first before getting something new. I am probably going to go for a WA6 (I really want to get a taste of the tube sound). I dont have XLR inputs on my amp but it would be interesting to try. I am not really a detail junkie, I am looking for PRaT, musicality, and a 'analog' sound. 

You can purchase a set of XLR-to-RCA cables from monoprice for cheap. That will allow you to get a taste of both outputs.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #11,355 of 46,506
Hey,

I've posted a thread last week about which hp to buy and most people suggested me HD6X0, and now I have to make my mind between HD650 or HD600. Since I think many of you have been there before, I'd like to know your opinion about them. So I have a little survey for you who owned/tried extensively both:

1) What's your experience with them? (How long have you listened/compared/owned)

2) Why did you end up choosing the HD650 over the HD600?

3) What music do you listen to?

4) Which one would you choose for rock - mainly alternative and indie -, folk, lo-fi and a bit of classical?

5) Which one would you choose for piano?

6) Which one would you say is more forgiving with bad records?

7) Which one would you say has the most lifelike timbre?

8) Which one would you say has the biggest "wow" factor coming from entry phones?

9) Would you choose the HD650 again, even with today's prices?

10) How big would you say each of the differences above are? 0,1%? 5%? Night and day?

I know it's all very subjective, but I'm really curious to listen to your experience and I'd mean a lot to me since I can't audition them anywhere around... :/

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

• G0rt
Back