Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #7,606 of 46,499
Quote:
Hey, just wondering what sort of EQ you guys would recommend for these cans. I'd like something that really kicks the sub bass for my rap music. If it helps, my amping/ DAC is in my sig. Also Im not fussy about something external or a software, this will be a desktop set up.

HD650 are simply not a sub-bass heavy headphone.  It's the one and only true weakness (versus many other imagined weaknesses some will attribute to them.)  You can always crank up anything below 40Hz which is where the roll-off begins, but you may be pushing into distortion as well.  HD650 is excellent in many ways.  Extreme sub-bass for electronica & rap is not among those strengths. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #7,607 of 46,499
Quote:

HD650 are simply not a sub-bass heavy headphone.  It's the one and only true weakness (versus many other imagined weaknesses some will attribute to them.)  You can always crank up anything below 40Hz which is where the roll-off begins, but you may be pushing into distortion as well.  HD650 is excellent in many ways.  Extreme sub-bass for electronica & rap is not among those strengths. 

Mine sound good enough for electronic, rap etc. but I haven't much to compare it to. Methinks an HE-400 or something is in my future. Mad Dog modded T50s look like a good idea to try as well

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #7,608 of 46,499
Quote:

32Hz band and more importantly for the 650's the 64Hz band should be played around with to fill out the low-end.

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #7,609 of 46,499
It is all relative though.

I find that electronica and subbass heavy music can be very enjoyable on the HD650 but they do require a very good amp to take control of the membranes that low down in register.

I run a Burson HA-160 for my HD650 at the moment and that does the trick - the difference from a regular output (computer soundcard etc) is unmistakable.

So - good subass (below 90Hz) on the HD650 requires a good amp and maybe a +2-3 dB EQ boost.

After that I find that the HD650 is very, very enjoyable with subbass heavy music. It may not have the last push in absolute bass compared to ultrasones or orthos but it has many other qualites that make it much more enjoyable overall. For instance - I've always liked the bass of the Ultrasone Pro900 that is deep and very tight but the midrange is recessed and the treble is pretty spiky so I definitely prefer the HD650.

I will however be recieving a HE-500 in the mail very shortly and the might be just be what the doctored orded.

I don't like the HD800's - they're too analytical and lean sounding for my taste. And I'm not yet convinced about the LCD-2's either since I find the soundstange very cramped - maybe with the right DAC/amp they can blossom but I'm convinced yet.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #7,610 of 46,499
'v just putted my hands on them.
Amazing headphone I never thought I would enjoy music like this
I even started listening to songs I used to hate haha
I want to think everyone who recommended it for me

There is only one small problem
I thought it would be more comfortable, its very tight I feel like its holding my head very strong
My head isn't big btw xD

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #7,611 of 46,499
I actually do enjoy these for electronic, I'm just wondering if there is any external thing or software to use for EQing, as the foobar built in EQ really sucks. Even the iTunes EQ is better.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #7,612 of 46,499
Quote:
'v just putted my hands on them.
Amazing headphone I never thought I would enjoy music like this
I even started listening to songs I used to hate haha
I want to think everyone who recommended it for me

There is only one small problem
I thought it would be more comfortable, its very tight I feel like its holding my head very strong
My head isn't big btw xD

Just fight through it for now, it will stretch out a bit over the next couple weeks and become super comfy. For the record, I have an above average head size, and I love the comfort of these now.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #7,613 of 46,499
Quote:
I actually do enjoy these for electronic, I'm just wondering if there is any external thing or software to use for EQing, as the foobar built in EQ really sucks. Even the iTunes EQ is better.

I think foobar might have a 32 band EQ plugin you could grab, might work for you.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #7,614 of 46,499
Quote:

Just fight through it for now, it will stretch out a bit over the next couple weeks and become super comfy. For the record, I have an above average head size, and I love the comfort of these now.

I completely agree with this, i tried manually loosening them but they always went back to their normal position. In the end they stretched just by using them and are now super comfy!

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #7,615 of 46,499
Hiho!

I've had my HD650s for over a year now and I'm very happy with them.

Recently a friend asked me to recommend new headphones for <$100 to him and he went and bought one of my recommendations, the Creative Aurvana Lives. Of course I insisted on auditioning them. I found them to be rather congested on complex tracks but they have a beautiful sub-bass, which since then I have found lacking in my HD 650s...

Anyone in a similar position? Have you found any remedies?

I was thinking of buying a DT 990 Pro soon for movies and games. Maybe I should save up a little and buy... what? Ideally something that can wholly replace the HD 650, but how realisti is that?

I guess this isn't quite "appreciation" I'm doing here, but I didn't want to open yet another thread :wink:

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #7,616 of 46,499
Quote:
Hiho!

Recently a friend asked me to recommend new headphones for <$100 to him and he went and bought one of my recommendations, the Creative Aurvana Lives. Of course I insisted on auditioning them. I found them to be rather congested on complex tracks but they have a beautiful sub-bass, which since then I have found lacking in my HD 650s...

I was thinking of buying a DT 990 Pro soon for movies and games. Maybe I should save up a little and buy... what? Ideally something that can wholly replace the HD 650, but how realisti is that?

I guess this isn't quite "appreciation" I'm doing here, but I didn't want to open yet another thread :wink:

What is it about the 650s that you really enjoy? I ask that because most things, 990 Pro's included, are very different from what the 650s have to offer. If it helps at all, I've got the DT990 Premiums, and I actually prefer the 650s for most of my listening.

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #7,617 of 46,499
Quote:
Hiho!

I haven't heard them but the Mad Dog mod on Fostex T50RPs by MrSpeakers (he is a user here on Head-Fi as well as mrspeakers.com where you can get the headphones) look promising from what I've read. They're like $260 USD and they have a return policy.

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #7,618 of 46,499
Quote:

What is it about the 650s that you really enjoy? I ask that because most things, 990 Pro's included, are very different from what the 650s have to offer. If it helps at all, I've got the DT990 Premiums, and I actually prefer the 650s for most of my listening.

Well, I enjoy the mids and, until I heard the CAL!s recently (which I do not hold as a benchmark on anything, they just, um, opened my ears?), the bass. I thought them just perfect for blues, jazz and classic, and even though their highs aren't as forward as I'd like I often use them for metal and electronica, too, they are definitely all around competent.

The DT990 I was planning on buying before my sub-bass itch started, I was thinking of complementing my HD650 for movies and games, not really for music.

EDIT: Listening to Rachael Price's rendition of That Old Black Magic and damn, I love these headphones. It's pure pleasure listening to this recording, but I still feel that the bass should be... more.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #7,619 of 46,499
I've never found the bass lacking at all. Maybe all the people who've suddenly started claiming it's lacking are making you think it is. Likewise I suspect people vaunting the 600s are contrarians, since the 650s' drivers are just the best and most closely matched from the same stock as the 600s.

I use Amperior and ER4P for outside use, and basically the improvement with 650s is massive; they're the closet thing I've heard to speakers, and the strings in classic and jazz really have depth and subtlety.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #7,620 of 46,499
Quote:
I've never found the bass lacking at all. Maybe all the people who've suddenly started claiming it's lacking are making you think it is.

It's not the bass (not all of it) that's lacking, it's just the sub-bass, the really deep frequencies. And I'm the one who noticed it, sadly, I can't blame anyone else :wink:

But you are right, maybe I'll get over it. I won't be making any impulse buys, don't worry.

Unless someone knows a really good "replacement" (basically a HD650 with added sub-bass), I'll probably just keep saving for a LCD-2. If only I could stop robbing that piggy bank ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back