Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #7,636 of 46,533
Quote:
http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

I saw this when searching, and just assumed you guys meant something else. Excuse my ignorance, but I believe this is for converting the music to digital to analog.

Don't I still need the electrical output to power up my HD-650s? Again, sorry for not understanding. Really appreciate the help guys. :)

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #7,637 of 46,533
Just going back to the HD650s and their bass; are you guys sure you're amping them properly? I use a fairly expensive CMoy or a Cambridge 650 known for its good headphone stage, and I've never had a problem with them, but if you drive them from something like a Macbook or an iPod they sound anaemic.

'Phones like the Amperior and ER4 sound superficially bassier, but they just don't have it; it's fake bass that's like a loud thud without proper definition. I imagine this is what the Sony XB are like: loud but not extended or accurate. Seriously, guys. Try some Cinematic Orchestra or Boards of Canada or whatever you like, and it's all there. I normally listen with a REL sub, and unless I turn the "fake bass for parties" switch which puts a lump in the 50-60Hz region, they sound identical.

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #7,638 of 46,533
I put this thread in the amp section but you all may the best to help me! 

I'm looking for a budget amp for HD650 better than O2, E9, Asgard, P4...

Yup, I'm a picky one. All of the above amps are fine. But I still think I liked my Just Audio AHA-120 (now sold off... sigh) better than all of the above amps w/ the HD650. The dynamics of the AHA-120 were just really good for a portable and I thought I'd have no problem getting a budget desktop better than a portable, since I didn't need an expensive portable amp! I really liked the synergy between the AHA-120 and the HD650. It was a remarkably transparent amp that still had some sparkle in the treble and heft in the bass, while letting the HD650 mids be themselves. It was a winner and now I need to replace it. 

I know lots of you haven't heard the AHA-120 but here I am. The O2 was not bad but felt thin and constrained; the E9, Asgard and P4 were all fine, with lots of raw power but were lacking finesse. They all seemed less nuanced than the AHA-120. 

I've read a ton of threads. What am I missing? Am I out of options? 

Probably looking under $200, with maybe some flex. I've got an ODAC now but I'd be willing to get a combo unit if it were the best option ($300-350). No desire for it to be portable, though am fine if it is. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #7,639 of 46,533
Quote:
Just going back to the HD650s and their bass; are you guys sure you're amping them properly? I use a fairly expensive CMoy or a Cambridge 650 known for its good headphone stage, and I've never had a problem with them, but if you drive them from something like a Macbook or an iPod they sound anaemic.

'Phones like the Amperior and ER4 sound superficially bassier, but they just don't have it; it's fake bass that's like a loud thud without proper definition. I imagine this is what the Sony XB are like: loud but not extended or accurate. Seriously, guys. Try some Cinematic Orchestra or Boards of Canada or whatever you like, and it's all there. I normally listen with a REL sub, and unless I turn the "fake bass for parties" switch which puts a lump in the 50-60Hz region, they sound identical.

Go listen to the SACD of Pink Floyd's "Time" on DSOTM. Plenty of good solid bass with the HD650's. They will give quality for quality.

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #7,640 of 46,533
Quote:
Go listen to the SACD of Pink Floyd's "Time" on DSOTM. Plenty of good solid bass with the HD650's. They will give quality for quality.

I think I heard that was one of the "compressed" masters. Obviously there a huge amount of discussion on PF album versions but I swear I heard the mastering on the SACD was not great or just really loud.

Then again I just bought The Wall CD from 1987, avoiding all the much louder copies after that :p

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #7,642 of 46,533
Quote:
Hiho!

I've had my HD650s for over a year now and I'm very happy with them.

Recently a friend asked me to recommend new headphones for <$100 to him and he went and bought one of my recommendations, the Creative Aurvana Lives. Of course I insisted on auditioning them. I found them to be rather congested on complex tracks but they have a beautiful sub-bass, which since then I have found lacking in my HD 650s...

Anyone in a similar position? Have you found any remedies?

I was thinking of buying a DT 990 Pro soon for movies and games. Maybe I should save up a little and buy... what? Ideally something that can wholly replace the HD 650, but how realisti is that?

I guess this isn't quite "appreciation" I'm doing here, but I didn't want to open yet another thread :wink:

Either appreciate the good qualities of the HD650 and try to ignore the lack of sub bass or prepare to spend £400+ to get some headphones with similar mids / treble quality and sub bass as well.... Or just keep the HD650 and buy a pair of basshead closed phones such as Denon D2000/D5000/D7000

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #7,643 of 46,533
Off-topic, but Connnorrr, the Deltron 3030 reference in your signature makes you my Hero of the Week. Congratulations!

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #7,645 of 46,533
My opinion after multiple faffing about with various headphones is that you should just appreciate the HD650 for what they are good at and buy another pair of headphones for bass unless you want to spend lots of money for a single pair of all rounders with similar refinement to the HD650... Because there are not any headphones in the HD650 price range or even a fair amount more which have equal quality refinement and also sub bass response.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #7,646 of 46,533
Could somebody post one of these sub-bass tracks so I can decide whether or not I need to start shopping for more headphones?

If anybody posts something to the effect of 90s Chicago house or bad dubstep I may break out the Air Miles and come to personally insult them, so you have been warned.

Something like this?

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #7,647 of 46,533
Quote:
I think I heard that was one of the "compressed" masters. Obviously there a huge amount of discussion on PF album versions but I swear I heard the mastering on the SACD was not great or just really loud.

Then again I just bought The Wall CD from 1987, avoiding all the much louder copies after that :p

This copy is about 20 years old. I got it when it came out. So, I have NO idea. It sure sounds good though...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back