Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #6,424 of 46,514
I always keep my volume level at least one level below what I feel is normal. It never hurts to lower your volume level and considering all of us audiophiles are spending hours each and every day using headphones we should all be extra mindful of the harm of loud , continual sound can cause.

The HD650 is one of those very rare headphones that doesn't suffer from low volume the way that many "in your face" headphones do. I can have my HD650 at a very low , quiet level and the detail is still fantastic. Of course a high quality amp and dac will significantly effect this to a degree but I just think the HD650 excels for low volume listening.

The only time I turn up my volume is for certain games and never for longer than an hour. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #6,426 of 46,514

Quote:
I always keep my volume level at least one level below what I feel is normal. It never hurts to lower your volume level and considering all of us audiophiles are spending hours each and every day using headphones we should all be extra mindful of the harm of loud , continual sound can cause.

The HD650 is one of those very rare headphones that doesn't suffer from low volume the way that many "in your face" headphones do. I can have my HD650 at a very low , quiet level and the detail is still fantastic. Of course a high quality amp and dac will significantly effect this to a degree but I just think the HD650 excels for low volume listening.

The only time I turn up my volume is for certain games and never for longer than an hour. 

That is a good idea, I used to have my volume at around 1 but I don't want to risk damage and now I keep it at about 11

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #6,427 of 46,514
I don't think pot positions mean anything unless you're comparing exactly the same amp and headphones.
If I have my amp at 11 O'clock the music is very loud. It depends on the loudness of the recording, the DAC and the amp.

Maybe it's because I have configured replaygain in such a way that most music is about 10dB below clipping.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #6,428 of 46,514

Quote:
I don't think pot positions mean anything unless you're comparing exactly the same amp and headphones.
If I have my amp at 11 O'clock the music is very loud. It depends on the loudness of the recording, the DAC and the amp.
Maybe it's because I have configured replaygain in such a way that most music is about 10dB below clipping.

The original question was posed to owners of the NuForce HDP or HD who used it with the HD 650.  The comparison was between the same DAC, amp, and headphones.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #6,429 of 46,514
I'm not really the biggest fan of using the HD650 for trance. The phone is a bit slow for me when I listen to trance.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #6,430 of 46,514
The original question was posed to owners of the NuForce HDP or HD who used it with the HD 650.  The comparison was between the same DAC, amp, and headphones.

I thought some other people were just randomly commenting without using the NuForce HDP, but that might be my mistake.

Still, the loudness of the recording remains a big factor.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #6,432 of 46,514
Hey guys, it's Mushroom again...Finally got my pair of HD 650 and Schitt Bifrost dac & Asgard amp.  I don't know if it's me but with the headphones plugged into the dac/amp and with the headphone directly connected to my iMac, it sounds pretty much the same.  I also have a cheapy pair of in ear headphones that came with my windows phone 7.  With the in ear directly connected to the computer and with the HD 650 in directly, I can tell the difference, the in ear sounds muffle and not as clean, so I guess that part seems correct.  

The connection from the Mac to the dac is through toslink.  Maybe I just can't hear the difference between amp and no amp.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #6,433 of 46,514
It's impossible, or this amp is useless. But all the rave reviews around here show that it's a very good sound amp. The cheap headphone jack in your mac couldn't hold a candle against even a decent amp, so a good sounding amp should bury it in the ground. At least that's what happens to all the cheap amps I test against my LaFigaro 339!

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #6,434 of 46,514

Quote:
It's impossible, or this amp is useless. But all the rave reviews around here show that it's a very good sound amp. The cheap headphone jack in your mac couldn't hold a candle against even a decent amp, so a good sounding amp should bury it in the ground. At least that's what happens to all the cheap amps I test against my LaFigaro 339!

Everybody has different ears, not everyone will hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back