Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #6,453 of 46,499

Quote:
Hey guys, it's Mushroom again...Finally got my pair of HD 650 and Schitt Bifrost dac & Asgard amp.  I don't know if it's me but with the headphones plugged into the dac/amp and with the headphone directly connected to my iMac, it sounds pretty much the same.  I also have a cheapy pair of in ear headphones that came with my windows phone 7.  With the in ear directly connected to the computer and with the HD 650 in directly, I can tell the difference, the in ear sounds muffle and not as clean, so I guess that part seems correct.  

The connection from the Mac to the dac is through toslink.  Maybe I just can't hear the difference between amp and no amp.

Try comparing them again after burn them more than 50 hours and then after 100 hours. They will sounds better after burn in more than 50 hours and even better after more than 100 hours. HD650 sounds awesome after more 300 hours burn in. My Bifrost and Lyr sound better after 1 week and sounds great after 2 weeks. I left them playing 10 hours nightly for the first 2 weeks.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #6,454 of 46,499

Quote:
Some pop/rock-songs sound better with them though, because the HD800 has this famous ~6kHz-peak and a really huge sound stage, what can be a disadvantage for pop/rock music.

This is true. They still sound great, but often noise and imperfections will be apparent.

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #6,455 of 46,499

Quote:
I finally realized after listening to so many different headphones, $100 pairs to $5000 i still realized that, i still love my sennheiser hd650s. i have never heard another headphone that can produce detailed but heavy bass like the sennheiser hd650s. Even though the sound is a little laid back, i still love them. i tried the grado sr325is and i just didnt like the sound, it was sort of muffled, there was (to me) hardly any detail. all i have to say is I LOVE MY 650s! No one can take them away from me!
rating:
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

now tell about your experiences =).

holy crap! I didn't even know there were 5k cans! Thought they only went to 2K. Do you still pick 650's over the 700 or 800? curious about your opinion :>

I hated my HD650's but that's because I was a hi fi nub and didn't know that good cans had low impedance. Once I plugged them into a Shanling PH3000, I could hear a shimmer of angels singing in the background. :)

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #6,456 of 46,499
holy crap! I didn't even know there were 5k cans! Thought they only went to 2K. Do you still pick 650's over the 700 or 800? curious about your opinion :>

I hated my HD650's but that's because I was a hi fi nub and didn't know that good cans had low impedance. Once I plugged them into a Shanling PH3000, I could hear a shimmer of angels singing in the background. :)

Never heard of the SR-009's?

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #6,457 of 46,499
I found the most improvement in sound is when I got a good RCA interconnect, for some reason upgrading amp, dac or the headphone cable didn't change that much for me.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #6,458 of 46,499

Quote:
holy crap! I didn't even know there were 5k cans! Thought they only went to 2K.

The Sennheiser Orpheus were about $15k (£10k in the UK).
biggrin.gif

L3000.gif

darthsmile.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #6,459 of 46,499
My TWag V2 for the HD650 will be here Monday. Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks. 
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #6,461 of 46,499

Quote:
I just bought a twag v2 cable from the for sale forums for my hd650 which should be here by Tuesday. It will be fun to compare notes.

Ah, as will I. Look forward to your impressions.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #6,462 of 46,499
Hi all.......I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD650 yesterday on the back of a recommendation from a fellow Head Fi er on the DX100 thread. After a day's continuous play I would like to share some thoughts, although I know they are far from being burned in!

I am listening to them in the following set up DX100 > 3.5mm to RCA silver/gold hybrid cable, Oyaide terminated > Triad L3.

sorry about the picture quality

the HD 650 will be used in concert with the DX100 and the L3

Firstly, the stock cable sucks as expected! I had bought two cables, a 5N OCC copper and a silver plated copper. The 5N OCC copper failed as the right side was disconnected. So all my remarks are based on using the silver plated copper. The change of cables opened up the sound significantly. Cleaner and clearer, with a much better soundstage revealing more precision in placement of images.

The HD 650 in nature are rather warm sounding, very euphonic and lush. I can imagine some people finding them boring! Even with the swapping out of the stock cable I found the treble lacks sparkle. This is the only negatives I can pin to the HD 650 at the moment.

The soundstaging is incredible! The X width, Y depth, Z height axis being extremely well defined! On good recording, the x axis is extending well beyond the shoulders, highly impressive. I find that the tonality of the HD650 to be excellent and especially with the portrayal of the piano. The glassy right hand, the resonating left hand and everything in between is very realistic sounding to say the least. Images are rock solid and very palpable in nature. Proportions are good. 

Since I find the trebles lacking in sparkle I ventured into removing the foams. This definitely improved the highs, more definition, dynamics and airiness but at the same time the whole tonal balance of the earphone shifted from being a full and rich sounding headphone to a quite a bright and edgy signature. I will be using the HD 650 with out the foams once I find the right cable. I have one in mind, the Baldur mk2 and will be having one made this week. If my suspicions are correct this cable will help retain the full and rich signature that I love in the HD 650 which is so reminiscent of live performance.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase and will report further at a later date when I have found the right cable etc etc......

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #6,463 of 46,499
So it looks like the HD650 won't be in my stable for as long as I thought but it was an impulse buy. I got the HD800 in the mail yesterday so the HD650 will go as soon as I find a buyer.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #6,464 of 46,499
The comfort of these headphones are amazing.  I spent all day Sunday wearing them, only removed them for bathroom breaks and eating.  They do clamp a bit fresh out of the box but once you have a few months on them the comfort level keeps going up, they fit me like a glove now.

I'm really close to ordering a LCD-2 so we'll see how they stack up comfort wise...  lol 
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #6,465 of 46,499
Hey ya'll I have a quick question about the build quality of the 650's. I recently ordered a used pair off of eBay that were supposed to be only a month old. Yet something seems off. The sound quality is superb, so the drivers must be fine, but in regards to the actual build of the headphone, it seems like the the part connecting the headband to the actual headphone is loose (I don't know exactly what its called, the part of the headphone that says HD650 with the Left and Right indicators below them). The right side swivels much more than the left side, and occassionally creaks

Does this imply that they're about to break? Or is it just a little worn down and still have plenty of years left in them? After using them all weekend it hasn't seemed to worsen, I just wanted to know about how long these 'phones last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back