Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #6,406 of 46,518

Quote:
I have the Valhalla (though rarely use it though due to my Woo) and think it combines with the HD650 incredibly well. If the Bifrost really is a pretty resolved amp, I can't imagine how good it will sound with the HD650.

The Bifrost is a dac :p

I think I like the tonality of my CTH better than the V200 even though I have no hesitation in saying the V200 is the better amp. The warmth of the HD650 and V200 makes it not as ideal for certain songs but the CTH is brighter making it a better for all songs as the HD650 does sound boring sometimes with the V200. It may be time for me to finally acquire a collection of tubes for this amp..

It's kinda amusing that as I got ready to buy an HD800 in the FS none are being sold now so the HD650 will be here for a while.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #6,407 of 46,518
It's often stated that the LCD-2 is the natural upgrade for those wanting a refined HD650. I'm going against that grain and stating the HD800 is a more natural upgrade. With the HD800 you lose the slight mid-bass bloat, but retain the enveloping and involving Sennheiser presentation. The gains are worth the price of admission imo. Amazing transparency, speed and accuracy, great definition and extension in the bass region and smooth and crystalline upper registers. The HD800 taps into the same intangibles the HD650 does, achieving a level of engagement I found lacking in the LCD-2. This is what I imagined the true HD650 successor to sound like.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #6,408 of 46,518

I tend to agree, especially in regards to how I can swap out amps and source and get a different soundstage from the 650's. I've only heard the 800's on two amps, an EF5 and a burson, and you get the amazing soundstage on the 800's that's unprecedented IMO, the Shure 1840 does sound great, but light bass, and lack of soundstage make it seem like a 300 dollar can to me. It is very detailed and refined, but I expected far better staging.

Quote:
It's often stated that the LCD-2 is the natural upgrade for those wanting a refined HD650. I'm going against that grain and stating the HD800 is a more natural upgrade. With the HD800 you lose the slight mid-bass bloat, but retain the enveloping and involving Sennheiser presentation. The gains are worth the price of admission imo. Amazing transparency, speed and accuracy, great definition and extension in the bass region and smooth and crystalline upper registers. The HD800 taps into the same intangibles the HD650 does, achieving a level of engagement I found lacking in the LCD-2. This is what I imagined the true HD650 successor to sound like.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #6,409 of 46,518

Quote:

While I do agree that the LCD2 has similarities to the HD650 I have heard the HD800 on my system and I gravitate towards the sound signature of the HD800 more than the LCD2 so it's easy choice. Plus the LCD2 is heavy and I don't like heavy headphones which was a main reason the HE500 is gone.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #6,410 of 46,518

Quote:
The Bifrost is a dac :p

I think I like the tonality of my CTH better than the V200 even though I have no hesitation in saying the V200 is the better amp. The warmth of the HD650 and V200 makes it not as ideal for certain songs but the CTH is brighter making it a better for all songs as the HD650 does sound boring sometimes with the V200. It may be time for me to finally acquire a collection of tubes for this amp..

It's kinda amusing that as I got ready to buy an HD800 in the FS none are being sold now so the HD650 will be here for a while.

That's the second time I've said that. Sorry, I meant a DAC.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #6,411 of 46,518

Quote:
While I do agree that the LCD2 has similarities to the HD650 I have heard the HD800 on my system and I gravitate towards the sound signature of the HD800 more than the LCD2 so it's easy choice. Plus the LCD2 is heavy and I don't like heavy headphones which was a main reason the HE500 is gone.

All that, and plus, the HD800's are some of the most comfortable and gorgeous looking headphone, IMHO, on the face of this audio infested planet.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #6,412 of 46,518
I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait to get the HD800 and my CTH has been underused anyway since I like the Magnums better with the V200 so with the HD650 I get to have it for a while. 

An OT question but does the HD800 squeak like the HD650? My guess is no since it is much different but I can't remember much about that with the HD800.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #6,413 of 46,518

Quote:
I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait to get the HD800 and my CTH has been underused anyway since I like the Magnums better with the V200 so with the HD650 I get to have it for a while. 

An OT question but does the HD800 squeak like the HD650? My guess is no since it is much different but I can't remember much about that with the HD800.

No.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #6,414 of 46,518

Quote:
Plus the LCD2 is heavy and I don't like heavy headphones which was a main reason the HE500 is gone.

This is something that turned me off from the LCD-2. It really is heavy - I already find the HD800 heavy enough when I lean over!

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #6,415 of 46,518
Quote:
I've only heard the 800's on two amps, an EF5 and a burson, and you get the amazing soundstage on the 800's that's unprecedented IMO

If you think that's amazing soundstage, listen to the 800s with an Eddie Current Balancing Act.  I'm by no means a soundstage junkie, but I was blown away by the truly massive width and depth of the soundstage with that combination.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #6,416 of 46,518
My two cents:

I bought a HD600 when it came out here in Germany, same goes for the HD650 some years later.
For a long time both headphones have been my favorite ones, but "the better is the enemy of the good", since I have a HD800 I barely listen to my music with the HD600 or HD650.
They both (HD600 and HD650) have a smooth sound signature, but they lack dynamics and detail compared to the HD800.
Some pop/rock-songs sound better with them though, because the HD800 has this famous ~6kHz-peak and a really huge sound stage, what can be a disadvantage for pop/rock music.

For good or very good recordings and for Jazz and Classical in general, I prefer the HD800. For other recordings the HD600 and HD650 can sound really comfy, in a way many people would like.

And if you like the "Sennheiser-signature", HD600 and HD650 will be a great choice!

Otherwise K701/Q701/K702, DT880, D2000 and others are strong contenders with different sound signatures, not better or worse than the HD600 or HD650, but different.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #6,417 of 46,518
I was a bit supprised when I bought these. Cause it was just on impulse, and I wanted something laidback with my funk and jazz collection. But when I tried these with TRANCE i was blown away. These do Trance extremly good IMO. But then you must know what trance is all about (see many here thinks it all about bass and slamming basslines, WRONG, wrong wrong). I put these before my DT 990 any days when it comes to trance. The HD 650 have a deeper soundstage, not wider but deeper, and thats do trance really benefit from. The hd 650 even tones down harsh treble that older trance often have (mostly because of amature mastering) , making it smoother and more distant. 

In the future i will always recommend the hd 650 to trance listeners. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #6,418 of 46,518

Quote:
I was a bit supprised when I bought these. Cause it was just on impulse, and I wanted something laidback with my funk and jazz collection. But when I tried these with TRANCE i was blown away. These do Trance extremly good IMO. But then you must know what trance is all about (see many here thinks it all about bass and slamming basslines, WRONG, wrong wrong). I put these before my DT 990 any days when it comes to trance. The HD 650 have a deeper soundstage, not wider but deeper, and thats do trance really benefit from. The hd 650 even tones down harsh treble that older trance often have (mostly because of amature mastering) , making it smoother and more distant. 

In the future i will always recommend the hd 650 to trance listeners. 

that is very good to know. Thanks for the info. I should try out some of my trance collection now :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back