Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #3,362 of 46,499
I bought mine from DV247 for £275. Not the cheapest but it came with an extra two years of warranty (so 4 years total) which is quite a good I think. They also had them in a local store where I was able to audition them first.

May 30, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #3,363 of 46,499
I just bought a HD650. Granted I only listened to them for a couple of hours, it seem to sound a lot better played through my Sony DAP -> Fiio E5 (EQ switch on flat) compared to on my laptop -> foobar wasapi -> Styleaudio Carat-Peridot. With the latter, I might be hearing what people seem to refer to as the "veil". Does this mean my DAC is rubbish or is it not a good match with the HD650? I'm still very new to head-fi, the only other headphones I use is ATH-AD900.  

May 30, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #3,364 of 46,499

Quote:
I just bought a HD650. Granted I only listened to them for a couple of hours, it seem to sound a lot better played through my Sony DAP -> Fiio E5 (EQ switch on flat) compared to on my laptop -> foobar wasapi -> Styleaudio Carat-Peridot. With the latter, I might be hearing what people seem to refer to as the "veil". Does this mean my DAC is rubbish or is it not a good match with the HD650? I'm still very new to head-fi, the only other headphones I use is ATH-AD900.  

Congrats on your purchase! and welcome. The 650's are one of those hp's that are hard to match amp wise or rather, to find synergy with. Your dac is certainly not rubbish and the Styleaudio should match 300 ohm's too, but it will be pushing it to it's limits with the 650's. There is also the old "mental burn in" period with new phones, if you have been used to a brighter sound signature then the laid back sound of the 650's can take some getting used to. I would let them burn in a while, and if you are still not happy then look to get a more powerful amp.
 Just in general, when listening to new headphones; if nothing grabs your attention frequency wise, then it should mean that they are very good phones!
wink.gif

May 30, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #3,365 of 46,499
Quote:

Congrats on your purchase! and welcome. The 650's are one of those hp's that are hard to match amp wise or rather, to find synergy with. Your dac is certainly not rubbish and the Styleaudio should match 300 ohm's too, but it will be pushing it to it's limits with the 650's. There is also the old "mental burn in" period with new phones, if you have been used to a brighter sound signature then the laid back sound of the 650's can take some getting used to. I would let them burn in a while, and if you are still not happy then look to get a more powerful amp.
 Just in general, when listening to new headphones; if nothing grabs your attention frequency wise, then it should mean that they are very good phones!
wink.gif

Thanks for the welcome. You're right, I'm used to the brighter sound signature of the ATH-AD900. I gave the Styleaudio DAC another listen and it already sounds different. The headphones were bought used, thus should be "burned-in". I'm starting to really love the HD650, albeit not as comfortable compared to the AD900.

May 30, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #3,366 of 46,499

Quote:

the fiio e5 def cant amp the hd650's

i used to have the athad900 too and the hd 650 are a HUGE upgrade from them i thought not just sound signature

i never heard this "veil" on my old essence stx or my current squeezebox./agd fun setup 

May 30, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #3,367 of 46,499

Quote:
I decided to get a 650 to compare it with my other headphones. Could anyone give me any tips on where to get them cheapest in europe?
thanks!

Keep an eye on Play.com. They some time have incredible bargains but you have to move very quickly. I got my HD650 brand new for £179
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #3,370 of 46,499

Quote:
Quote:
what do you guys think of an E9 + HRT Music Streamer II for an HD650?

I feel like changing my music up a bit from the akg k702's

also, I love rock / pop refreshing music so any headsup

depends on your budget I personally don't think the E9 is a very good amp to match up with the HD650

and why isn't it a good match? Aren't amps mostly the same?

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #3,373 of 46,499
I know many people may of done this but to all that have not.

i was reading on these wonderfull forums about amps and headphones i dream of having, and a great chill out song came on and i closed my laptop everything went dark and woah!!! cutting off one sense brought up everything the music had to offer it was great i might be about to do a bedside rig. :)

had my 650,s to help me, don,t know why people are sayying base weak, must be crazy talk. :)

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #3,374 of 46,499
I just joined the HD650 club as well. what a difference compared to the 600. I'm very happy
It's less aggressive, more laid back, darker and i find the soundstage to be better (very early impressions)

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3,375 of 46,499

Quote:
I just joined the HD650 club as well. what a difference compared to the 600. I'm very happy
It's less aggressive, more laid back, darker and i find the soundstage to be better (very early impressions)

Nice one, and welcome!

Keep us informed on how you are finding them. A lot of people find the 600's soundstage slighly larger, (I havent heard them so can't comment) so its good to hear that you find it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back