Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #3,391 of 46,527
Quote:
Looking forward to reading that. There's no question you've heard the HD650 at its best and will present a balanced comparison. With the exception of impressions of the LCD-2 or HE-6, I'm quite wary of the hyperbole laced proclamations of such and such ortho putting the HD650 to shame. The lower tier orthos seem to be getting a lot of attention lately and it's been stated and now regurgitated by those who haven't even heard both, that the HE-4 blows the HD650 out of the water. Personal preferences aside, I suspect those making these comments haven't heard the HD650 through components that do it justice. This is from a Headfonia article on the HE-4:

Now the HE-500 may be a more substantial upgrade to justify the expense but the HD650 comparison towards the end of this article gives me pause. Some selective quoting:

Seems like the LCD-2 is the only way to go for someone who loves the HD650 in the first place.

I'm not sure why people bother to compare the HE-4s or any of the Denon headphones to reference headphones like the HD650s.  Those headphones aren't trying to achieve reference sound.  The whole comparison is arbitrary and pointless.  

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3,392 of 46,527
Also, I wish people would check their language here once in a while.  It's misleading to new head-fiers.  No headphone "blows" the HD650s "out of the water."  

rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #3,394 of 46,527
I already owned and sold the HE-6 in favour of the HD800 and HD650 before, though that had a lot to do with comfort. Even in terms of sound, the HE-6 weren't leagues better than a well-amped recabled pair of HD650s. I posted a comparison earlier in this thread. As sphinxvc said, nothing blows the 650s out of the water.

I've found that planars do bass like no other. Nothing competes with them in that regard. They also have a very grain-free sound...something that's difficult to find in dynamic cans. Moreover, all the planars I've heard have sounded "larger" than regular headphones. What I mean is it feels like you're listening to large speakers...the sound images are enveloping and visceral, like a huge wall of sound. But, when it comes to layering and depth in soundstage, they fall behind the high-end dynamic offerings, including the HD650.

The HE-500 are a less technically accomplished but more tonally pleasing version of the HE-6, so based on my previous findings, I don't think they'll be a huge improvement over the 650s. I'll see when I get them.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #3,396 of 46,527

Quote:
My view on this hobby, in terms of importance, headphones > source > amp. Thus, the whole idea is to buy an amp that is "future-proof". I'm looking into getting a LCD2 or HE6 towards the end of the year once funds permit.

Wait you're saying the amp is less important than the source?  If so, sorry but not true at all.  My DT990's are a different animal through the Bijou amp.  

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #3,397 of 46,527
Quote:
Wait you're saying the amp is less important than the source?  If so, sorry but not true at all.  My DT990's are a different animal through the Bijou amp.  

I believe you're mistaken. What I meant was my priority in spending money was on headphones > source > amp. I believe every single component matters just that I don't believe in spending silly amounts of money on amps.

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #3,398 of 46,527

Quote:
My view on this hobby, in terms of importance, headphones > source > amp. Thus, the whole idea is to buy an amp that is "future-proof". I'm looking into getting a LCD2 or HE6 towards the end of the year once funds permit.

Agreed, headphones > source > amp.

I used to consider my 650s my reference phones, but my second pair of T-1s sound like vastly improved 650s.

Better, clearer bass, mid-range and treble and virtually the same tone. 

This is quite surprising since my first T-1s were very bright and did not displace the 650s as my reference headphone.

USG

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3,399 of 46,527

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure why people bother to compare the HE-4s or any of the Denon headphones to reference headphones like the HD650s.  Those headphones aren't trying to achieve reference sound.  The whole comparison is arbitrary and pointless.  

I think these comparisons serve a purpose for people considering orthos, but only have these dynamic cans as a point of reference. They present a counter point to the rave reviews imparted on these forums and I for one, am thankful for them.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #3,400 of 46,527

Quote:
I already owned and sold the HE-6 in favour of the HD800 and HD650 before, though that had a lot to do with comfort. Even in terms of sound, the HE-6 weren't leagues better than a well-amped recabled pair of HD650s. I posted a comparison earlier in this thread. As sphinxvc said, nothing blows the 650s out of the water.

I've found that planars do bass like no other. Nothing competes with them in that regard. They also have a very grain-free sound...something that's difficult to find in dynamic cans. Moreover, all the planars I've heard have sounded "larger" than regular headphones. What I mean is it feels like you're listening to large speakers...the sound images are enveloping and visceral, like a huge wall of sound. But, when it comes to layering and depth in soundstage, they fall behind the high-end dynamic offerings, including the HD650.

The HE-500 are a less technically accomplished but more tonally pleasing version of the HE-6, so based on my previous findings, I don't think they'll be a huge improvement over the 650s. I'll see when I get them.

Thanks for the insight. There's a tendency to proclaim the latest acquisition as the greatest (we're all perhaps guilty of it to some degree), and these types of posts are the exception to the norm on these forums. They resonate with me as both sides of the coin are presented, rather than the ambiguous "x blows y out of the water" calls that are prevalent.

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #3,401 of 46,527
Quote:
I think these comparisons serve a purpose for people considering orthos, but only have these dynamic cans as a point of reference. They present a counter point to the rave reviews imparted on these forums and I for one, am thankful for them.

I suppose you might be able to discern technical differences between phones like the HE-4 and HD650s from reading comparisons, but I'm not sure how far that could get one as far as making a purchasing decision.  It would probably be more helpful to EQ the midrange out of your HD650s to understand what the HE-4s, Denon D2000s, D5000s, and D7000s do for music.  

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #3,402 of 46,527
Quote:

A "spot on" description of planar sound.

Jun 12, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #3,404 of 46,527

Quote:
Quote:

I suppose you might be able to discern technical differences between phones like the HE-4 and HD650s from reading comparisons, but I'm not sure how far that could get one as far as making a purchasing decision.  It would probably be more helpful to EQ the midrange out of your HD650s to understand what the HE-4s, Denon D2000s, D5000s, and D7000s do for music.  

I appreciate that it may be apples to oranges in terms of tech, but sound is sound and it's of great value to me to have headphones I'm very familiar with referenced against cans I'm interested in, but can't hear before purchase. I'm dubious and sceptical of most claims but I'd be lying if I stated these things don't inform my purchasing decisions to some degree. Not sure what you're trying to argue here mate.
confused_face%281%29.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back