Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #3,406 of 46,554

Quote:
I already owned and sold the HE-6 in favour of the HD800 and HD650 before, though that had a lot to do with comfort. Even in terms of sound, the HE-6 weren't leagues better than a well-amped recabled pair of HD650s. I posted a comparison earlier in this thread. As sphinxvc said, nothing blows the 650s out of the water.

I've found that planars do bass like no other. Nothing competes with them in that regard. They also have a very grain-free sound...something that's difficult to find in dynamic cans. Moreover, all the planars I've heard have sounded "larger" than regular headphones. What I mean is it feels like you're listening to large speakers...the sound images are enveloping and visceral, like a huge wall of sound. But, when it comes to layering and depth in soundstage, they fall behind the high-end dynamic offerings, including the HD650.

The HE-500 are a less technically accomplished but more tonally pleasing version of the HE-6, so based on my previous findings, I don't think they'll be a huge improvement over the 650s. I'll see when I get them.

Yeah... as I've posted much earlier... few phones are significantly superior to the "new version" HD650's when driven by a properly matched set up - even including the Stax phones.  Perhaps several phones are "a wee bit better," but not significantly better.

Jun 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #3,407 of 46,554
well for sure no other headphone i've heard do sweet & lush yet engaging & intimate mids as well as the HD650 regardless of new or old model. thats the reason i keep my HD650 despite being overmatched (atleast technically) by other cans. theres some magic in these senns still that keeps me going back despite temptations from other more exciting offerings.

everyone should have a HD650 in their repertoire
wink_face.gif

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #3,408 of 46,554

Quote:
well for sure no other headphone i've heard do sweet & lush yet engaging & intimate mids as well as the HD650 regardless of new or old model. thats the reason i keep my HD650 despite being overmatched (atleast technically) by other cans. theres some magic in these senns still that keeps me going back despite temptations from other more exciting offerings.

everyone should have a HD650 in their repertoire
wink_face.gif

I agree 100% with keeping the HD650's. Besides their sound with the right amp/s and source gear the comfort is hard to beat... I did let santa bring me the HD-800's and I love them much more in several ways with my set up, but do go back to the great sound and comfort of the HD-650's, often..... PS.. I have up graded both sets with after market cables that make a difference to me.......I don't want to sound like the LCD2 owners or better yet the HE-6 owners that think God made their cans.. I'm just stating what sounds and frequency ranges I enjoy, I find with the Senns. We should all be glad there are different manufacturers of all of these great headphones. This lets each of us choose the right one for our own taste and ears....let alone equipment matching!!!

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #3,409 of 46,554
Got my HD650 roughly 2 months ago. had the chance to try almost most of the headphones that where ALMOST on-par with HD650's price range. (Beyer Dynamic T1, Denon AH-D5000, AKG K701, and the list goes on)

Literally spent 4-5 hours of auditioning(Time does fly by when one is enjoying). And the HD650 really caught my attention. Bought it and have been enjoying it ever since. No Regrets! 

The HD650 will be forever in my collection..

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #3,410 of 46,554

Quote:
Lol.  You're right - and that's all I was trying to say: apples and oranges.  

I was just trying to protect you (emphatically) from even thinking of the HE-4s.  
tongue.gif

I almost bought the HE-4 on impulse a while back. My scepticism of all the glowing reviews tempered that urge and I'm now of the firm belief (based on what I've read
wink.gif
) that the LCD-2 or HE-500 are the only sensible options to upgrade.

Every component in my modest setup is deliberately in place to refine the intrinsic HD650 sound to my preference. My dac is configured to bring microdetails to the fore, The Lyr with the RCA black plates to smooth over that clinical sound, add depth and great imaging (previously hinted at with my solid state amps), and DHC molecule cable to polish the end result with a slightly warm transparency, a tad wider soundstage and refinement in the low end.

What I hear is a textured, full bodied sound presented with authority and energetic dynamics. It's musical and highly engaging and leaves little to be desired. All this brought about with some careful consideration and without spending the mega bucks on big ticket gear. I get the sense that I'm now truly at the cliff's edge of diminishing returns.

As pleased as I am with my setup, the deafening chorus of all the cool kids with their orthos is hard to ignore. I'll likely take that plunge soon, but I'll be annoyed and (perhaps not surprised) if I return to the HD650 to sing its praises louder, as some have done here.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #3,411 of 46,554
Quote:
I almost bought the HE-4 on impulse a while back. My scepticism of all the glowing reviews tempered that urge and I'm now of the firm belief (based on what I've read
wink.gif
) that the LCD-2 or HE-500 are the only sensible options to upgrade.

As pleased as I am with my setup, the deafening chorus of all the cool kids with their orthos is hard to ignore. I'll likely take that plunge soon, but I'll be annoyed and (perhaps not surprised) if I return to the HD650 to sing its praises louder, as some have done here.

You dodged a bullet.  
tongue.gif
  I'm with you on the LCD-2s or HE-500s being the logical upgrade path.

I'll do my best to describe what changes I find when I get the HE-500s in a month or so.  

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #3,412 of 46,554
I became a HD 650 owner myself this time and I am very pleased to say the least.  An exquisite sound that was appealing constantly. Sweet and warm, gave me a relaxing pleasant tingle in the belly region. Never had this feeling before from a headphone. The highs are sweet and detailed it makes you wanna listen more and more. Overall sound is very clean and deep. Hd 25-1s are amazing, but HD 650 are much better imo, better like comparing sweet chocolate candy to fruits, HD 650 are sweeter, a more pleasant experience. The 3d imaging, deep soundstage and all in all sweet character of the HD 650 makes them an instant keeper for like.. forever.
 The interesting thing also is that 650's do not fatigue the listener at all, but are very detailed and sharp, I find that to be really really amazing. They are super comfortable as well. Now I get the opinion of the HD 560 as being super refined, I would call it expensive, Chic Sound. HD 595 does not compare to HD 650, not even close, in my opinion, after extended listening sessions and impressions of the HD 650s.
 P.S. I have the newer version with silver silk extension. It is better than the old one, the soundstage is closer and very detailed, the highs are sharper, but they are never fatiguing. Maybe a bit colored because I find them sooooo sweet like with no other headphone I listened to before.        

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #3,413 of 46,554
As an informed earlier poster stated, everyone should have  the HD650s in their inventory if circumstances allow it.
The detail and easy listening plus the comfort factor allow the recipient to get lost in the music, I would never part with my beloved Senns, nor would I part with my equally beloved Denon AH-D5000, for similar reasons, different and equally enjoyable sound signature, the comfort of both of these glorious headphones is second to no other I have had on my head.
These headphones compliment each other wonderfully well.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #3,414 of 46,554

I agree with you 100% I have the same headphones plus the MS2i when I need a more "In your Face" sound.

Quote:
As an informed earlier poster stated, everyone should have  the HD650s in their inventory if circumstances allow it.
The detail and easy listening plus the comfort factor allow the recipient to get lost in the music, I would never part with my beloved Senns, nor would I part with my equally beloved Denon AH-D5000, for similar reasons, different and equally enjoyable sound signature, the comfort of both of these glorious headphones is second to no other I have had on my head.
These headphones compliment each other wonderfully well.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #3,415 of 46,554
Guys, I just found this site: http://www.zombie-x.com/zxamateurcablesrev2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

If you want a low-cost upgrade for the HD650s, get that cable. It's very similar in build to the DHC one I use except a lot cheaper (surprisingly). I'm posting this because I see a lot of people experimenting with eBay offerings in this price range. Might as well go for something tried and tested that uses DHC's UPOCC wiring.

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #3,416 of 46,554

Quote:
Guys, I just found this site: http://www.zombie-x.com/zxamateurcablesrev2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

If you want a low-cost upgrade for the HD650s, get that cable. It's very similar in build to the DHC one I use except a lot cheaper (surprisingly). I'm posting this because I see a lot of people experimenting with eBay offerings in this price range. Might as well go for something tried and tested that uses DHC's UPOCC wiring.

I have written him 2 emails to have information on the cable and have never answered me!!!!!!

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #3,418 of 46,554

Quote:
This site is run by Zombie_x and he's a good member of this forum. Maybe try sending him a PM.

You the sò that belongs to this forum. I have just written him as last alternative...

Thanks

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #3,419 of 46,554
I've pm'ed him several times. From time to time he replies but then he disappears so I ordered my cable from another fellow head-fi member who made it for me
I got bored of him not answering. good luck, he makes great cables

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #3,420 of 46,554

Quote:
I've pm'ed him several times. From time to time he replies but then he disappears so I ordered my cable from another fellow head-fi member who made it for me
I got bored of him not answering. good luck, he makes great cables

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back