Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 26, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #3,347 of 46,527
Just thought I would post up as well, I have been loving my hd650's for awhile now. Overall I find them fantastic with every type of music and I do not personally hear the veil that people speak of with my system(s) at all. Not sure if they changed anything with the latest revision / white drivers... but overall the best money I have spent on cans! And agreed with the above, I can listen for hours with no fatigue at all. Just pure enjoyment!

May 26, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #3,348 of 46,527

Quote:
Quote:
I loved the smell when I opened the box.

Yeah I still have my box closed after 4 years it still has that new smell.

I lost my box when I moved house... I miss that smell
frown.gif

May 26, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #3,349 of 46,527

Quote:
Just thought I would post up as well, I have been loving my hd650's for awhile now. Overall I find them fantastic with every type of music and I do not personally hear the veil that people speak of with my system(s) at all. Not sure if they changed anything with the latest revision / white drivers... but overall the best money I have spent on cans! And agreed with the above, I can listen for hours with no fatigue at all. Just pure enjoyment!

+1

May 26, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #3,350 of 46,527
Sorry to clutter this thread with amp ideas, but I've been looking at Headroom Desktop Amp/DAC. I'm just wondering if that's a really good amp for that price range. It seems a bit pricy, but I'm intrigued with the crossfeed stuff, and it also seems to have a low footprint. I noticed there are a fair amount of people who like to pair it with their 650's. Is it a better idea to get a separate dedicated DAC and a dedicated amp?

May 26, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #3,351 of 46,527

Quote:
Sorry to clutter this thread with amp ideas, but I've been looking at Headroom Desktop Amp/DAC. I'm just wondering if that's a really good amp for that price range. It seems a bit pricy, but I'm intrigued with the crossfeed stuff, and it also seems to have a low footprint. I noticed there are a fair amount of people who like to pair it with their 650's. Is it a better idea to get a separate dedicated DAC and a dedicated amp?

I would look elsewhere. Get the WooAudio WA2 or WA6SE for the 650s. It is generally better to have separate components so that you have more flexibility when you decide to upgrade.

May 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #3,352 of 46,527

But what if you can get an all-in-one solution and never have to upgrade again? I'm not sure I want to spend more than $1000 on dac's and amps.
Quote:
I would look elsewhere. Get the WooAudio WA2 or WA6SE for the 650s. It is generally better to have separate components so that you have more flexibility when you decide to upgrade.

May 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #3,354 of 46,527

Quote:
But what if you can get an all-in-one solution and never have to upgrade again? I'm not sure I want to spend more than $1000 on dac's and amps.

Yes it is definitely a slippery slope. I doubt you will be in a situation where you will never want to spend again. I would always get separate components which in turn means I have more flexibility to change the sound signature of a certain link in the system. If you still think otherwise go ahead and get the all-in-one setup.

May 26, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #3,355 of 46,527
Just while we're on the subject of amps... Heres a pic of my latest 650 engine! It's based around the Seimen's C3m tubes. It's built like a tank but sounds effing marvelous, what a soundstage! It has blown the few hard to reach cobwebs away that my beloved Xcan3 couldn't quite reach. My first OTL amp, it was designed with the 650's in mind by some very clever German chap and I snapped it up for an absolute steal (sorry to the guy I pipped at the post bidding..
redface.gif

May 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #3,356 of 46,527
Just picked up my HD650's from the Post Office half an hour ago, opened up the fresh box and immediately attached them to my Black Dragon cable and powered up the system...

My expectation is that it would take weeks of burn in and that they would have to grow on me.. just expected the same experience as my HD600's. Well, holy headphones batman...
  1. Fired up some Royskopp and WOW.. I know they're not broken in but I'm already in love.  Do they ever fill the sounds space compared to my HD600's.  Immediately engaging. Bass is a little slow but that's to be expected at this point.
  2. Fired up Dire Strait's Private Investigations (must have listened to it 1000 times) and WOW again.

I really had to spend some time and grow to love my HD600's.  I split my time between them and my HD25's depending on my mood.  I wished my HD25's were as open and airy and the HD600's and now with the HD650's, I think I have the sound that I've been looking for.

I'll do my usual 4-5 days of continuous burn in and listen/enjoy along he way.
Now, that Woo WA6 dream of an amp (next on the list).. this stuff never ends!

Edit: Ok, past the initial euphoria and they do need to be broken in.  They're definitely more engaging than my HD600's and less clinical.

May 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #3,357 of 46,527
so i was moving all my stuff around and im doing my room and in a some box i find my old 225is and my father wants to buy them from me and in moving them around i put everything in my bedroom setup all nice and tidy and now i don,t wanna move any of it to the family pc so i thought i could use the grados out of my motherboard 3.5 sound jack................and well what can i say i didn,t miss the highs till now!!

what a treat to have them back i must say all of the say i have been listening to sound better unamped then my 650s amped with nuforce hdp.

well its going to be hard to part with my headphones now but i want a new computer so oh well, or do i want a amp or a new headphone (lcd - 2) or some cables or a dac............

May 29, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #3,359 of 46,527

Quote:
I decided to get a 650 to compare it with my other headphones. Could anyone give me any tips on where to get them cheapest in europe?
thanks!

here in the uk buying new will cost you on average £270 but theres always 2nd hand bargains to be had on Ebay. Theres 3 going cheap on there right now!  

May 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #3,360 of 46,527

Users who are viewing this thread

Back