Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 6, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #3,091 of 46,499
My HD-650's soundstage definitely got larger when I upgraded my amp, but I wish it had the huge soundstage of the HD-598. If someone says the HD-650 can have the same size of soundstage as the HD-598 then I am going to say you are lying
normal_smile%20.gif

I find it hard to believe that Sennheiser intended the HD-650 to have a huge soundstage anyway. No problem there.

For me the largest soundstage I've heard is the AD700, then the K702 and HD-598. People always said the ATH-AD2000 had a small soundstage but I felt it was larger than that of the HD-600 and HD-650!

Personally I don't need a huge soundstage, but when it has the mids of the HD-598, it's kind of addicting.

Depends on your source amp etc .. I can plug in my HD650's and have a huge sound stage because my DAC puts out a huge sound stage each one of your components affects the final outcome

May 6, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #3,092 of 46,499

Quote:

The "clarity" of the stock cable is just the etched treble that's part of its presentation. Listen closely, your copper may sound thicker and warmer but there are micro-details there that aren't as well resolved through the stock cable.

x2

Quote:
Depends on your source amp etc .. I can plug in my HD650's and have a huge sound stage because my DAC puts out a huge sound stage each one of your components affects the final outcome

x2.

We keep repeating these points, but people won't understand until they hear for themselves.

May 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #3,093 of 46,499

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm back to square one with cables. I've now switched back to stock. The Canare cable I made offers more detail and more mid-bass and perhaps better quality bass, but it's not a good match for the HD-650. It took me several days to really get an idea of how it really sounded. I often get the feeling that it did improve the mids a little. Combined with my new amp, that was a good combination!

The negative is that whatever it adds, also seems to reduce the sound clarity. It's just not as clear sounding as the stock cable. The main killer is that the Canare severely rolls off the high end. It will totally smooth out the treble on the HD-650 to me. It made very bright recordings much easier on my ears. I like this, but I don't want my headphone to tame my music if I can avoid it.

I added back in the stock cable and the sound was more clear and there was a lot more treble. Some songs just didn't feel as smooth as before when you listened to them with the Canare. I guess in the end the Canare is nowhere near a neutral cable.

I guess I need to find one that's perfectly neutral and offers the clearest sound. Maybe the Mogami will work. I think I read somewhere that for sound clarity and detail, silver plated copper is the way to go. Silver is tempting, but these are bright enough as it is and I don't want them to get even brighter than they already are! Maybe the Canare would be good for my K702.

I also removed the Canare cable from my Sextett today and the sound clarity shot way up and it's like I have a new headphone.

Still love the HD-650 now with my new amp. Today I tried it again with movies and games and it's not as bad as before, but I still prefer my K702/K601 for that.

Guess I will try Mogami and hope it's neutral and doesn't change much. There's also Belden, Gotham and Redco Quad cable. I don't feel like spending $70+ on cable right now though.

I've posted this cable before I've never looked back since I got mine. I don't think it alters the characteristics of the 650's only gives them a much stronger signal, so the better the source you have, then this cable will make sure it reaches your phones without loosing anything. It is the thickest hp cable that I have come across  %99.99 pure, cryoed, 20awg four braided copper wire , and Cardas sennheiser plugs and Neutrik. It's big and clumsy looking but who cares when it sounds this good!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SENNHEISER-HD600-HD650-HD580-CABLE-5-ft-PURE-COPPER-/250725545256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60683528 

I do think the stock cable is good, but as I've stated before, the 650's have huge potential with a few little mods. Theres nothing those drivers can't handle!   [size=large] [/size]

May 6, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #3,094 of 46,499

Quote:
I've posted this cable before I've never looked back since I got mine. I don't think it alters the characteristics of the 650's only gives them a much stronger signal, so the better the source you have, then this cable will make sure it reaches your phones without loosing anything. It is the thickest hp cable that I have come across  %99.99 pure, cryoed, 20awg four braided copper wire , and Cardas sennheiser plugs and Neutrik. It's big and clumsy looking but who cares when it sounds this good!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SENNHEISER-HD600-HD650-HD580-CABLE-5-ft-PURE-COPPER-/250725545256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60683528 

I do think the stock cable is good, but as I've stated before, the 650's have huge potential with a few little mods. Theres nothing those drivers can't handle!   [size=large] [/size]

That cable for the money looks like dog pile.. Get a Norse cable they are much better heres a pic of one for the LCD-2

May 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #3,095 of 46,499

Quote:
That cable for the money looks like dog pile.. Get a Norse cable they are much better heres a pic of one for the LCD-2

Well that certainly looks the part! but I'm one of those old fasioned peeps that uses my ears to test cables...
All my best cables look like s^^*t. The ones I've paid a small fortune for and look fantastic have a tendancy to be all "fur coat and no knickers" if you know what I mean!
wink_face.gif

May 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #3,096 of 46,499

Quote:
Well that certainly looks the part! but I'm one of those old fasioned peeps that uses my ears to test cables...
All my best cables look like s^^*t. The ones I've paid a small fortune for and look fantastic have a tendancy to be all "fur coat and no knickers" if you know what I mean!
wink_face.gif

Norse cables are cheap that one in the pic is only 159.00 and comes with choice of wood choke

May 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3,097 of 46,499

Quote:
wink_face.gif

Couldn't agree more. Aesthetics are important, but sound is the main factor.

May 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #3,100 of 46,499
My HD 650s have been getting less use since I got my Denon D2000s. However, last night I ripped my first LP to MP3, and the 650s are leagues ahead in every way possible. Absolutely astonished by them when listening to Santana Abraxas.

May 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #3,103 of 46,499

Well, I don't know what it is that makes the stock cable sound a little more clear. It seems that the Canare seems to add in too much of something else and effecting the overall sound. I guess it just seems to muffle the sound a tad. I remember when I first plugged it in the biggest difference I noticed was more bass, especially mid-bass and more detail. For me, I'd rather give up some detail for a cleaner sound. I guess my point with the post is that in the end I don't like Canare with the HD-650. I keep swapping them out and there's definitely an improvement with the Canare in some areas. I don't need the extra mid-bass and reduced treble though. At least the mids were slightly better on the Canare though, but that was harder to spot.

My DJ100 has a sound signature similar to the HD-650 in many ways and it also made them less clear sounding. I guess I'll try the DH cable sometime or find some stock cable that's very neutral. Mogami is on the way, but I'm still going to build a Canare cable for my K702. I wish this was just all my imagination because it's kind of a hassle, but it's kind of fun building all these cheap cables. Maybe bulk Cardas is the way to go. It's not super expensive, but I imagine DH should be just as good or better. I think the DH cable was $60 for 4 5" wires.

Sometimes I feel like just having someone else build one because I'm lazy, but lately I prefer to save a few pennies. Maybe all this fancy cable will be worth it over the Mogami/Canare cheap stuff. Someday I'll find out. Biggest difference in a cable swap I ever heard was when I attached a silver cable to a KSC75. Don't ask me why on earth I did that! Silver is not good for the KSC75, but I had some spare.
Quote:

The "clarity" of the stock cable is just the etched treble that's part of its presentation. Listen closely, your copper may sound thicker and warmer but there are micro-details there that aren't as well resolved through the stock cable.

It sounds like you need to give the DHC nucleotide a try. It has the characteristics you like but presents a more balanced signature. I wasn't initially too impressed by my DHC Molecule but for me it was a matter of finding the right synergy with the hdam in my dac. I'm not sure if it's undergone burn in, but I swear it's changed significantly for the better the last few weeks as well. Now when I switch back to stock it sounds tinny and cheap, without the resolution and width of soundstage.

May 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #3,104 of 46,499
wink_face.gif

Well all I can say is I just got my Norse cable for my LCD-2's and the difference is amazing and they are reasonable in price. I asked them if they make a cable for the HD650 as I will defiantly get one for my 650's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back