Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 7, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #3,108 of 46,527
May 7, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #3,109 of 46,527
Should have ripped it to flac

I have yet to listen to anything in flac, but I think I'll try it by re-ripping one of my CDs. If I find it to be noticeably better than 320kbps MP3, I'm holding you personally accountable and you can come and rip the rest of my collection for me. :p

I've resisted it for so long as I dread the thought of doing my entire collection again. That and the fact that flac is a fair whack bigger.

May 7, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #3,110 of 46,527

Quote:
Quote:

I have yet to listen to anything in flac, but I think I'll try it by re-ripping one of my CDs. If I find it to be noticeably better than 320kbps MP3, I'm holding you personally accountable and you can come and rip the rest of my collection for me.
tongue.gif

I've resisted it for so long as I dread the thought of doing my entire collection again. That and the fact that flac is a fair whack bigger.

I really wouldn't bother, you will hear no difference with the 650's they were designed to be mp3 friendly. I've spent a lot of time testing wav 320 and flac, you will need higher resolution hp's to be able tell the minutest difference.  

May 7, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #3,111 of 46,527
I really wouldn't bother, you will hear no difference with the 650's they were designed to be mp3 friendly. I've spent a lot of time testing wav 320 and flac, you will need higher resolution hp's to be able tell the minutest difference.  

hahaha the difference between 320k and a good flac is noticeable unless you have nasty equipment then yes you wont be able to tell. Also once you rip to flac you can always convert to Mp3 as Flac is lossless. if you have a highly resolving setup then flac sounds much better

May 7, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #3,112 of 46,527

I have yet to listen to anything in flac, but I think I'll try it by re-ripping one of my CDs. If I find it to be noticeably better than 320kbps MP3, I'm holding you personally accountable and you can come and rip the rest of my collection for me. :p

Yes if space is not an issue always rip to flac anyone who thinks that 320k is good enough has a poorly resolving system

May 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #3,113 of 46,527

Quote:
Have anyone tried this cable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5M-Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-HD580-HD600-HD650-/220720613850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3363f949da#ht_3209wt_907

Er - is it my eyes or is that a hideous Zu cable knock-off?  Look at the pixelated branding at the Y-split.  

May 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #3,115 of 46,527

Quote:
hahaha the difference between 320k and a good flac is noticeable unless you have nasty equipment then yes you wont be able to tell.. if you have a highly resolving setup then flac sounds much better

I agree. Though, I've found it depends on the recording too. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate 320 vs FLAC for bad recordings, while it's pretty easy for others. Definitely need a resolving system for it though...the headphones are more than capable.

Quote:
Yes if space is not an issue always rip to flac anyone who thinks that 320k is good enough has a poorly resolving system

Level 8 compressed FLAC isn't even that much bigger than a 320k MP3. Space is so cheap these days. I say just get a larger hard drive :)

May 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #3,117 of 46,527
I agree. Though, I've found it depends on the recording too. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate 320 vs FLAC for bad recordings, while it's pretty easy for others. Definitely need a resolving system for it though...the headphones are more than capable.

Level 8 compressed FLAC isn't even that much bigger than a 320k MP3. Space is so cheap these days. I say just get a larger hard drive :)

I agree that it does depend on the recording and music Genre as well

May 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #3,118 of 46,527
You can hear the difference between 320kbps Mp3 and FLAC on the HD-650? Seriously? I highly doubt that. At least not with the HD-650, but sure most of us don't have a $1000 amp to do this.
Heck, the HD-650 is so forgiving of my source files and very few of them sound like garbage. On a DT-880 it's super easy to spot garbage tracks. You can barely even pick up recording hiss with the HD-650. Acting as if the HD-650 is some sort of detail monster is a bit overkill.

I personally think Sennheiser never intended for them to be extremely detailed and a little more forgiving. Others think this as well. I actually like this sometimes. Even my $80 DJ100 has more detail than the HD-650 and it's quite sad. Yes, I've compared them. Based on my experience, price never equals more detail though. If I wanted to pick apart my music and analyze it, I'd just use my K702, KRK or a DT-880. Up next people are going to say that the HD-650 is a great studio monitor! BTW yes, I love the HD-650, but Im not going to make up stuff just because I love it.

BTW yes I believe you can hear the difference between FLAC and 320kbps mp3..but not on the HD-650! Maybe the K702 or DT-880. 90% of my music is lossless since hard drives are cheap.

May 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #3,119 of 46,527
You can hear the difference between 320kbps Mp3 and FLAC on the HD-650? Seriously? I highly doubt that. At least not with the HD-650, but sure most of us don't have a $1000 amp to do this.
Heck, the HD-650 is so forgiving of my source files and very few of them sound like garbage. On a DT-880 it's super easy to spot garbage tracks. You can barely even pick up recording hiss with the HD-650. Acting as if the HD-650 is some sort of detail monster is a bit overkill.

I personally think Sennheiser never intended for them to be extremely detailed and a little more forgiving. Others think this as well. I actually like this sometimes. Even my $80 DJ100 has more detail than the HD-650 and it's quite sad. Yes, I've compared them. Based on my experience, price never equals more detail though. If I wanted to pick apart my music and analyze it, I'd just use my K702, KRK or a DT-880. Up next people are going to say that the HD-650 is a great studio monitor! BTW yes, I love the HD-650, but Im not going to make up stuff just because I love it.

BTW yes I believe you can hear the difference between FLAC and 320kbps mp3..but not on the HD-650! Maybe the K702 or DT-880. 90% of my music is lossless since hard drives are cheap.

The sound of the HD650 is a combination of your source your DAC your AMP and then the HD650 you make it sound like the HD650 is so veiled that it cannot pick up the difference between an MP3 and a FLAC file are you also going to say that it cannot determine the difference between a 44 file and a 96/24 file?

May 7, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3,120 of 46,527

Quote:
Quote:

hahaha the difference between 320k and a good flac is noticeable unless you have nasty equipment then yes you wont be able to tell. Also once you rip to flac you can always convert to Mp3 as Flac is lossless. if you have a highly resolving setup then flac sounds much better

Ok miss scarypants or what ever you call yourself, YOU may well be able to hear a difference with your LCD choker cable and "high end" resolving gear. But I am speaking for the majority of 650 owners who have budget to mid equipment. Equipment that matches. If you knew anything about the 650's which you clearly don't then you would know that they where designed to be mp3 friendly. That means that they were designed to smooth over low bit recordings. So, lets just forget about your higher than all the rest of us set up for the moment and consider us mere mortals listening with our paupers set ups: we can spend all day converting our mp3's to flac- but for what you will get in return... it will be a waste of time. 

I wouldn't consider the MF V Dac and MF Xcan 3 nasty equipment.            

Users who are viewing this thread

Back