Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #3,061 of 46,527
Congrats!

I personally believe in break-in/burn-in, but psychological adaptation works simultaneously with it, so it's hard to prove. Just burn them in overnight for a few days (when not listening). I found subtle improvements from doing so.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #3,062 of 46,527

Quote:
Congrats!

I personally believe in break-in/burn-in, but psychological adaptation works simultaneously with it, so it's hard to prove. Just burn them in overnight for a few days (when not listening). I found subtle improvements from doing so.

Here's an interesting read from Tyll Hertsens' new blog about break in: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

Personally I felt that my HD650's were able to go a bit lower in bass response after about 100 hours.  

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #3,063 of 46,527
May 1, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #3,064 of 46,527
Loving the HD-650 now..finally! What a pain it's been. I never had a headphone before that was so picky with my amps. On my E9 and Asgard I always got the impression they were kinda muffled and too dark at times. On the E9 they were good, but felt at times they had no life and rather dull and too laid back.

Like I said before, this Headroom Micro amp loves these things! The sound has cleared up and the soundstage now is quite large. At times I feel as if it's as large as the K702, but maybe not quite. One thing I noticed on my E9 is that it wasn't easy to pick up all my lower quality music files. Now it's super easy somehow. Not sure how that is.

I also got my new cable installed. I attempted my first cable build today and it took me forever, but it was all worth it. I used the Canare cable and like the results a lot. First impression I got was that it had more or better bass. I noticed that almost immediately, but maybe not. Biggest difference is how much clearer the sound is and there seems to be a little extra detail in there. The soundstage with the new amp and cable is really something else.

My K702 hasn't been on my head in a day. I'll have to switch to them eventually. They sounded much better with this amp than my other amps as well. People say the E9 is so good with the K702, but I don't think it's anything spectacular. Not too bad though, but didn't really make them sing like the Micro amp does.

So I think this under $40 canare cable has been worth the trouble. It'd be even cheaper if it wasn't for all the shipping costs and those Sennheiser Connectors. Attaching those connectors was actually super easy and easier than connecting the stereo plug. BTW it almost feels as if "Boards of Canada" is as clear and detailed now as my K702! About time!

Guess when I get more experience with building cables I'll try some silver or Double Helix cables. I'm almost positive the silver will be a huge upgrade. Not sure if the DH will be compared the Canare, but i'll let my ears decide.

May 1, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #3,065 of 46,527

Quote:
BTW it almost feels as if "Boards of Canada" is as clear and detailed now as my K702! About time!

Nice to see another Boards of Canada fan...the HD 650's are my first pair of reference headphones and it's amazing that even though I've listened to BOC more than any other artist, I am still finding things I've never heard before with these things.  

May 1, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #3,066 of 46,527
DHC cables are nice if your chain is relatively up to scratch. I originally had a bass heavy garden hose (mogami I think), that I thought I preferred to the DHC when I first received my Molecule cable. With time I've become attuned to where the DHC provides improvements. It's not as coloured, or forgiving as the mogami, but it has better balance, depth and and detail.

I have 3 distinct sound signatures based on what hdam/opamp I place in my dac's output stage. With the mogami and stock cables the differences in sound these configurations produced were apparent, but shortcomings in certain signatures weren't resolved and therefore not highlighted. With the DHC cable the differences are far more distinct to my ears, and the limitations of my setup are exposed at times.

The effect of cables are now very clear to me. I was initially a sceptic, but my experience with HD650 cables made me question that stance. I've recently employed some budget, but very nice Blue Jeans Cables IC's and speaker cable in my modest setup. I've always preferred the warmth and musicality of the Moon hdam in my dac and its synergy with the HD650, but this configuration produced a one dimensional, boomy, cheap and plastic presentation through my Audioengine A2's. With the BJC cables this same setup through the same budget speakers is lush and although it's still somewhat coloured in the low end (inherent in these speakers), it now has punch and impact rather muddy boominess. Details that are better resolved round out a more layered presentation.

Cables make a difference, and if your system is resolving enough in the first place, you don't need to spend the big bucks to put this to the test.

May 1, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #3,067 of 46,527
Hi guys my HD 650 ear pads seems to wearing out quickly, anyone got suggestions for replacement ear pads?

Another quick is there any tips for removing and installing the ear pads?

Thanks for reading everyone.

May 1, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #3,068 of 46,527

Quote:
Hi guys my HD 650 ear pads seems to wearing out quickly, anyone got suggestions for replacement ear pads?

Another quick is there any tips for removing and installing the ear pads?

Thanks for reading everyone.

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/sennheiser-replacement-pads-for-hd650-hd600-and-hd580.php

It's very easy taking out and installing the earpads. Just need to pull using even pressure and the pads come out with the foam underneath. To install, push them back in with your fingers. Don't press the earpads themselves to jam them in place (unnecessary flattening of the cushion), place your fingers on the side-bottom of the earpads to press them down into place. What I mean by "side-bottom" is that your fingers will be inserted into the black oval plastic guard (on the sides of the earpad) and you will then be able to feel the bottom of the earpad assembly which you are to push down on.

The whole process really is simpler than it sounds and takes less than 2 minutes. Good luck.

May 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #3,069 of 46,527
May 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #3,070 of 46,527
Thanks for replying, the problem is the stock ear pad is that they catch the oil, hair so easily.  Wish there is some leather pad for the HD 650.

May 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #3,071 of 46,527
May 1, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #3,072 of 46,527

Quote:
Thanks for replying, the problem is the stock ear pad is that they catch the oil, hair so easily.  Wish there is some leather pad for the HD 650.

I believe HE60/70 leather pads are HD compatible, but they will alter sound signature and will propably cost a little fortune!

May 1, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #3,073 of 46,527

Quote:
The purpose of the on board  dac is to play music on the computer is it not? I love the construction of the BCL. I just dont hear any audible difference from my STX on board amp. There is ONE difference however. It's a lot more soothing with the BCL.  

Yes, but the DAC is supposedly not the BCL's strongest feature. I like it because it's more portable than even my headroom micro stack. Very small surface area takes up very little room on my desk. The DAC on the BCL does smooth out the music from my computer -- piano sounds so much better -- but I'm not prepared to say it's the best DAC that Lehmann could've fitted the BCL out with. If you claim it's no better than your STX, I'm prepared to believe it.

May 1, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #3,074 of 46,527

Quote:

So I bought the Headroom Micro Amp thinking it would drive them even better and hopefully retain the same signature I heard on the Airhead. I received it today and I was shocked how tiny the thing is! It's HALF the size of the E9! I had no clue when I bought it. At first I was thinking there was NO WAY such a tiny thing could drive an HD-650 or K702 well enough.

Yes, it's really surprising how much power that tiny little micro amp packs, but when you consider the external power brick then it's not quite so small. I found the power brick annoying, especially when I was travelling with it. Then add the micro dac and you've got three components. All in all, the BCL/USB is more portable.

May 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3,075 of 46,527
I have the full size desktop amp/dac from HeadRoom and have been saying all along that it is a good match with the HD650's. Id imagine the micro should sound very similar to the full size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back