Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #197 of 46,514
no, no they don't.

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #198 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do the 650's have the nasty harsh peak in the upper midrange like the 595's do?

Nope, thank goodness! If you are running from a good source, you will be in for a treat. They may not be totally flat on frequency response, but they are flat where it counts the most, and comfortable too!
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #199 of 46,514
Woah, okay. I just did the de-foaming mod and I have to say there's some real weirdness going on here! I never imagined the difference would be so dramatic. It's like I'm wearing totally different headphones.

I can't decide if it's all good. There's a lot more treble, which I love. No veil whatsoever. Soundstage is much, much wider but it feels artificial - something's not right with the positioning. Something's off with the bass as well, it's there but it feels like it's in the next room, impact is lacking even though the quantity is the same - kind of feels like the quantity:impact ratio has been thrown out of proportion.

Do you think that putting some very thin material in place of the foam will give me a happy medium?

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #200 of 46,514
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woah, okay. I just did the de-foaming mod and I have to say there's some real weirdness going on here! I never imagined the difference would be so dramatic. It's like I'm wearing totally different headphones.

I can't decide if it's all good. There's a lot more treble, which I love. No veil whatsoever. Soundstage is much, much wider but it feels artificial - something's not right with the positioning. Something's off with the bass as well, it's there but it feels like it's in the next room, impact is lacking even though the quantity is the same - kind of feels like the quantity:impact ratio has been thrown out of proportion.

Do you think that putting some very thin material in place of the foam will give me a happy medium?

Did you remove the foam and leave the drivers unshielded? Most people use panty hose. I used fiberglass window screen when I tried this mod. In the end I put the foam back in(many months ago). The HD 650 is still my favorite-if-I -could-just-keep-one-headphone.

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #201 of 46,514
I just picked up my HD650s about a week ago and I am running them with my Fubar II USB DAC -> Meir Audio Corda HeadFive.

I upgraded from the HD570s and it was an interesting upgrade. These headphones sound far more realistic and true to life. That would be the best way to describe it. It truly does bring the concert hall home in my opinion.

I agree with other posters here that indicate that these cans are smooth and extremely comfortable. I am really enjoying them and I have no doubt that I made the right decision.

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #202 of 46,514
I have had my 650s for a couple of years now and have truly enjoyed them. Recently, I have been spending time with my K701s and HD580s with both Cardas and Equinox cables trying to unseat the 650s as my favorite can. Not a chance. Although these other cans can best the 650 in certain areas, they lack that refined magic that is present in the 650s. The 650s are so musical and exhibit great detail without making it seem in your face. It is natural detail and not hyped up.

I especially enjoy the 650s with a Silver Dragon Ver 2 cable. It just seems to perfectly compliment the refinement and subtle detail of the 650. I have also tried the Equinox but found the mids too hyped to the point that the upper mids seem to have an annoying glare.

Great can and still my favorite.

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #203 of 46,514
I'm still enjoying my 650 which is dual de-foamed with my own "nickel" mod to the facing foam pads. I'm mostly listening to them with a balanced stock cable using my Central Station's rear Cue output.

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #204 of 46,514
Im new of this HD650 can but confident enough that this will stay as my main can!

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #205 of 46,514
I love the HD650s, I've gone with the SAA/Equinox balanced XLR from the DAC1(very nice) but, guess what I think after recently picking up the HD600s from TTVJ.com for 280.00(what a steal).....take a guess.

....don't mean to get off topic but...

I'm using the SE ended SAA/Equinox out of the 600s and, for me, much more detail...it's incredible...I'm loving it so far-only have about 24hrs on the headphones but the equinox had previously been broken in with the 650s.

I really love this set of cans already...it's so different than the 650s....I'm sure the sq will change on these but the highs and mids are definitely more prominent. I had read so much about the 600s, I had to get a set. That and the fact that I love the senn sound sig.

What a treat these babies are!
Smiles all around. The cymbal and high hats are much more realistic than my 650s. Had to give some love to the 600s.

Having said all that-it'll be a cold day in hell when I let anyone take my 650s....600s are a very good complement for a brighter more detailed listen.

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #206 of 46,514
I'm very happy with the HD650's in stock form. Looking for a good cable upgrade - just can't decide. I should have spent more time listening at the recent meet in Seattle. Cardas, Dragon, Zu, Equinox....

I'd like to hear comments on cable upgrades.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #208 of 46,514
A la "Country" and "Western", I love both my 650 (defoamed) and my 600 (au naturel). They both have a place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back