Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #46,231 of 46,499
Can anyone confirm that the pads have been changed?
The euphony is missing on the new pair.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #46,232 of 46,499
I got my new HD 650 since my old ones(2017) died. These sound different than my old pair. These have more treble and the mids don't sound as full as the old ones. These sound more technical than musical. What's going on here? Are there any changes made to the new HD 650? Someone told me that the pads have been changed. The new pads when worn out won't sound the same as old ones? I have to admit I am a little disappointed.
The difference could be explained as easily as worn vs fresh pads. Worn pads will cause closer driver distance… Ive never experienced very worn pads which Ive read that for some people will cause 6X0 to become supraaural which will add another factor for difference in sound…

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #46,235 of 46,499
I think the ones that came with the 660 got put everywhere, and then some other change happened (Senn using another source for their pads or something). Or maybe it's been the other way around? Or they're both the same thing? Maybe I've dreamed it all. Can never be sure with my perfect memory.
I'm still using old pads myself as I bought a bunch at once a few years back and still have one pair to go before jumping into a new world of, something probably similar.

Of course new and used will sound different no matter what else is going on. By the end of it, when they're worn out, the drivers are closer to the ear, so that should have some impact. Also, the seal is probably slightly better with the pads having time to really conform to the head, so a little more bass is to be expected IMO.
I always have a difficult 2 weeks when changing pads (that's when I'm closest to get a HD800 and EQ it close to a HD650 anyway). It's been so clear in the FR that I tend to re-EQ them and use that for a few months before going back to my "usual" EQ.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #46,236 of 46,499
New owner of 6xx here. Coming from more expensive headphones just to try something different. Chain is Bifrost 2 to THX 887 / MT-602.

I know this has been said a thousand times before, but happy to report that they are quite nice! Sure there is a sort of warmth/darkness that may be called veiled, but nowhere near as offensive as the 660s that I tried awhile go. They just sound correct rather than analytical. This is a relaxing headphone that you can listen to forever and get lost in the music, better take breaks to protect your hearing.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #46,237 of 46,499
HD600 had less reaction to removing spidercage + spidercage foam than HD650:
HD600 spidercage removed VS stock 2023pads.jpg

HD650 stock VS spidercage removed.jpg

From memory, stock vs stock with same pads, HD600 sounded more tonally balanced and detailed than HD650. Im guessing the difference in perception of detail is totally tonal.

I thought HD650 tonality was improved by spidercage removal due to diminished perception of forward vocals. With HD600 Im not confident to say I heard a difference with spidercage removal, I didnt spend enough time listening to either.

I have been enjoying HD600 (spidercage removed), the soundstage is a great contrast to Grado (F-pads). HD600 tonal balance seems more linear than Grado (F-pads), but I dont say that with confidence because both appear good enough for me and Ive not compared directly (speaking specifically of PS500e). From memory, technical qualities aside from soundstage go to PS500e (F-pads) and particularly bass quality but at least HD600 seems less offensive than HD650 in this regard.

edit: I think "HD650 stock" are an old measurement with worn pads so unfair comparison, accidentally chose the wrong file to overlay - oops....

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #46,239 of 46,499
what is your opinion about the balanced cable? Custom Cans
Don't know about custom cans, but I bought a balanced XLR cable from Forza for my HD650. Your miles may vary, but I think it opened the sound compared with the stock. Not night and day, but enough so I didn't regret my purchase :o2smile:

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #46,241 of 46,499
^ Sounds like too much bass despite frequency response measurements. Others might like and call it “slammin’”, but I would call it “boomin’” which generally means too much upper bass and/or distorted bass. Other than that I think tonal balance may be preferable to stock.

Maybe some driver damping (like spidercage + foam) will help some without totally killing the bass amplitude and perceived dynamics.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #46,242 of 46,499
I almost bought a set of the HD6xx Massdrop headphones. But I backed away when I read that they have very flat bass. I'm not a basshead at all, but I do enjoy the type of lively bass and audio response produced by Bluetooth headphones like Sony XM4, Edifier W820NB, Panasonic RP-HD300 and a few others. But the 6xx seem to be tuned for a dull audiophile response

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #46,243 of 46,499
I almost bought a set of the HD6xx Massdrop headphones. But I backed away when I read that they have very flat bass. I'm not a basshead at all, but I do enjoy the type of lively bass and audio response produced by Bluetooth headphones like Sony XM4, Edifier W820NB, Panasonic RP-HD300 and a few others. But the 6xx seem to be tuned for a dull audiophile response
So you "almost" bought the 6xx, but you didn't? And then you want to refer to them as "dull audiophile?" Have trouble making friends? :) Just giving you a little crap. There is nothing dull about the 6xx. From the lower treble to mid bass, they STILL are about is good as it gets for many. That doesn't mean that you'll like them or that you don't find bluetooth headphones "better." This hobby is largely relative...to your experience, preferences and the time you've put into it educating yourself and your ears. My advice, enjoy those bluetooth headphones and just move along.

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #46,244 of 46,499
New to headphones back in 2020. I started reading here and getting a lot of good information. I decided to buy a pair of 6XX's because of that and haven't regretted it. I pair them up with my Schiit Vali 2++ with a WE396A tube and they shine. A lot of knowledgeable people to thank for that decision.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #46,245 of 46,499
RE: dumb8 mod

Momentarily thought I had broke these because the sound became very imbalanced but after troublesome troubleshooting I found that the Left-side magnet fell partially loose. Normally the spidercage holds the magnets in place but ime its usually not a problem because the magnets usually stay friction fit. So I had to hold magnet in place with Damplifier Pro (like KISS mod). Also re-installed the Grado x Geekria donut foam pads in cups. Mayyyyybe bass sounds tighter than yesterday, but Im doubtful and assume Ive forgotten and just acclimated some. Sounds good though. I think Ill give these a long listen and try some other gear too for perspective before moving onto more mods specifically rear acoustic impedance with foam (e.g. stock spidercage, lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back