Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #46,246 of 46,533
New to headphones back in 2020. I started reading here and getting a lot of good information. I decided to buy a pair of 6XX's because of that and haven't regretted it. I pair them up with my Schiit Vali 2++ with a WE396A tube and they shine. A lot of knowledgeable people to thank for that decision.
Ditto here. Same setup and love it. Bit the bullet on the 6XX early this year and it is a fantastic bargain with, I think, excellent sound thru the whole range.

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #46,247 of 46,533
So you "almost" bought the 6xx, but you didn't? And then you want to refer to them as "dull audiophile?" Have trouble making friends? :) Just giving you a little crap. There is nothing dull about the 6xx. From the lower treble to mid bass, they STILL are about is good as it gets for many. That doesn't mean that you'll like them or that you don't find bluetooth headphones "better." This hobby is largely relative...to your experience, preferences and the time you've put into it educating yourself and your ears. My advice, enjoy those bluetooth headphones and just move along.
I just didn't want a set of headphones lacking in bass. And the review I read mentioned the dull audiophile sound. From what I understand, professional monitor-style headphones are meant for critical listening and not pleasure. I remember from my days of my audiophile hobby how bass was lacking on the headphones/canalphones I bought into. I'm accustomed to modern headphones that pronounce the bass much more than those "accurate, audiophile, critical listening" headphones did.

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #46,250 of 46,533
Is there any competitor to HD6XX in the same price range? I've heard they are the best. Just wondering if a DT880 or AKG 702 would compare in anyway.
I just tried and am returning a K702. The biggest takeaway from my listening to them is that it just sounded artificial and less natural. compared to the HD650. The K702 is definitely brighter, and leaner in sound with a wider soundstage and leans towards a more clinical sound. Details are definitely exaggerated…it does give very crisp edges to the notes and has treble peaks that are semi-fatiguing if you are treble sensitive.

I’d say give it a go on the K702 if you want a different presentation/better soundstage that could complement the 650. I’ve also heard that the K7xx is a touch warmer and has more bass…that might be closer to the 650 sound maybe having characteristics of both the 701/702 and the hd650. But just my 2 cents. YMMV!

Nov 18, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #46,251 of 46,533
I have a pair of K702's and at first, I thought that they were a bit on the bright side. I toned that down with a Loki Mini and did a bass mod and I like them very much now. I do enjoy the wider soundstage. My 6XX's just rock and especially with my Vali 2++.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #46,254 of 46,533
Nov 19, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #46,255 of 46,533
I just tried and am returning a K702. The biggest takeaway from my listening to them is that it just sounded artificial and less natural. compared to the HD650. The K702 is definitely brighter, and leaner in sound with a wider soundstage and leans towards a more clinical sound. Details are definitely exaggerated…it does give very crisp edges to the notes and has treble peaks that are semi-fatiguing if you are treble sensitive.

I’d say give it a go on the K702 if you want a different presentation/better soundstage that could complement the 650. I’ve also heard that the K7xx is a touch warmer and has more bass…that might be closer to the 650 sound maybe having characteristics of both the 701/702 and the hd650. But just my 2 cents. YMMV!

The 65th Anniversary IMO is the best one.

1700424754388.jpeg

Hard to find though. Had just the right amount of body injected, and the memory gel foams were really nice.

I preferred them to the k712 at the time.

One could always EQ I guess, but the option of buying the memory gel pads is also an option to fatten her up :D

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #46,257 of 46,533

you've gone too far XD with those crazy mods!

But i always love the insanity around the 6 series with the spider cage removals , dynamat, JAR , and ofc the hd800 driver implants
:)
I did go too far because I cant re-sell this.

I did the HD800 driver implant to HD600 3DP enclosure but I found the HD800 driver to sound a little piercing and was unable to tame. Some say HD800 driver has a resonance in treble area but I dont know - just my anecdotal impressions from testing and dubious correlation to some dubious graphs. I imagine HD800 driver frequency response plays better with pads with a deeper and larger ear chamber for more v-shape tuning which would mitigate the lower treble peaks / sharpness, ya know like stock enclosure…

I havent listened to HD650 dumb mod since. Not because its bad but Ive just been busy with other stuff. As for headphone activities, afterwards I modded HD600 and am currently modding a Stax SRD-7 (replacing resistors) and SR-X mk3 (padrolling). And this week Ill be installing vintage ortho drivers into an open-back 3DP enclosure. I dont have as much interest for headphone experimenting as I once did so going is slow.

My next mod I want try with 6X0 is using supraaural foam pads like Grado. If there seems to be great potential then Ill see about 3DPrinting some Grado style enclosures for 6X0 drivers. The design would be a simple driver drop-in like the stock capsules and using stock headband. I wonder how 6X0 with foam pads compares to Grado RS-2x with same pads (“flats”).

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #46,258 of 46,533
:)
I did go too far because I cant re-sell this.

I did the HD800 driver implant to HD600 3DP enclosure but I found the HD800 driver to sound a little piercing and was unable to tame. Some say HD800 driver has a resonance in treble area but I dont know - just my anecdotal impressions from testing and dubious correlation to some dubious graphs. I imagine HD800 driver frequency response plays better with pads with a deeper and larger ear chamber for more v-shape tuning which would mitigate the lower treble peaks / sharpness, ya know like stock enclosure…

I havent listened to HD650 dumb mod since. Not because its bad but Ive just been busy with other stuff. As for headphone activities, afterwards I modded HD600 and am currently modding a Stax SRD-7 (replacing resistors) and SR-X mk3 (padrolling). And this week Ill be installing vintage ortho drivers into an open-back 3DP enclosure. I dont have as much interest for headphone experimenting as I once did so going is slow.

My next mod I want try with 6X0 is using supraaural foam pads like Grado. If there seems to be great potential then Ill see about 3DPrinting some Grado style enclosures for 6X0 drivers. The design would be a simple driver drop-in like the stock capsules and using stock headband. I wonder how 6X0 with foam pads compares to Grado RS-2x with same pads (“flats”).

Have you considered the "Fostex donut technology" ? The way they have that foam ring to channel the bass which sits on top of the driver.

1700429580833.jpeg

Its one of those hit and miss, and difficult getting the right "donut" with optimal density /diameter etc.

Also, do you have any photos of the enclosure with 800 driver or is tht same as the Bill P? creation.

One last thing, when you say you tried to tame the piercing nature.... was this with higher output impedence w/ amping as well?

***Funny enough, i used this "donut technology" with sr-x mkIII ... think sony xb450 pad foam gutted... with 007 sheepskin pads *** Also 1540 pads were ok with them

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #46,259 of 46,533
Also, do you have any photos of the enclosure with 800 driver or is tht same as the Bill P? creation.
Bill-P creation. I dont think he uses the same enclosure for personal HD800 mod anymore. I suspect that is due to wanting a larger baffle so as to fit larger pads.

Have you considered the "Fostex donut technology" ? The way they have that foam ring to channel the bass which sits on top of the driver.
That’s similar to what I did with HD600. I think it would help with HD650 as well.

The specific Fostex donut technology Ive experimented with before: THX00, Emu Teak, TH500RP, Tx0RPmk3. I didnt fully appreciate until I went from Tx0Rmk2 to Tx0RPmk3. mk2 didnt use the foam donut for venting and instead used a simple tiny baffle port which worked satisfactorily for venting but also sounded more closed-in… I can see how my HD650 mod (non breathable baffle, but breathable pads) is more like a mk2, while HD600 mod using breathable foam is more like a mk3… First impression is that I prefer the HD600 mod and HD650 mod needs to go back to drawing board.

Reminder, I dont like stock 6X0 so the mods are only a monetary loss. Its only throwing away money for satisfying a mild curiosity, thats why Ive been calling it “dumb” mod.

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #46,260 of 46,533
One last thing, when you say you tried to tame the piercing nature.... was this with higher output impedence w/ amping as well?
Nope, was their amp synergy I had not known? Just padrolling, acoustic impedance mods to attempt controlling driver resonance, and front-side filters. I shouldve just used PEQ and enjoyed because the bass was satisfactorily tight unlike 6X0 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back