Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #44,431 of 46,499
Oh man, I'm really not a good person to explain the differences in between DACs.

At the end, they’re both great DACs. The Ares II has more energy and is more engaging, the Bifrost 2 is more 'bassy' and laid back.

There's a very good review of the Bifrost 2 here, the guy has also compared the BF2 vs the Ares II.

Okay I will check out that review. I think the most expensive DAC I have used in the past was the Topping D70. I had it paired with the THX789. It was a good combo but perhaps too "analytical" for me. Call me crazy but even the Marantz HD-DAC1 sounded better to my ears than that combo. More "musical" perhaps. I think I would probably lean more towards the Schiit offering just because it's "made in USA". But that's getting into a whole other discussion. I have never had an R2R style DAC so that is why I am interested. Also the Drop Airist is an R2R DAC as well.

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #44,435 of 46,499
Hi Guys I've a question
Talking About the Mids,What'exactly the range of Frequencies involved?
Is the Range Between 500 to 3000 that I have to check in A pair of Headphones?
A Great Mids Headphone have to be Flat or 2/3 db Up from 500 to 3000hz?what do you think?
Thanks

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #44,436 of 46,499
Hi Guys I've a question
A Great Mids Headphone have to be Flat or 2/3 db Up from 500 to 3000hz?what do you think?
Thanks
Even though the HD6xx/650 is emphasized in that range, it’s extremely refined.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #44,438 of 46,499
New 4.4mm balanced cable for my HD-6XX--KK Cable II-SO Replacement Upgrade Cable.

No struggling with the the cup connectors, they plug in with a nice gentle click with the -/+ facing out. Red right and black left.

I'd recently purchased a Shanling M6 Pro 21 DAP and wanted a 4.4mm cable for its 4.4mm balanced output.

Beautifully made and sounds fantastic with the Shanling. I can't say enough good things about this DAP! In Turbo Mode it puts out 760mW at 32 Ohms out of the balanced 2.5mm or 4.4mm, so there's no problem driving the Senns.

Attachments

• 141204.jpg
    141204.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 141446.jpg
    141446.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 141513.jpg
    141513.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #44,439 of 46,499
New 4.4mm balanced cable for my HD-6XX--KK Cable II-SO Replacement Upgrade Cable from Amazon for around $45 USD.

I'd recently purchased a Shanling M6 Pro 21 DAP and wanted a 4.4mm cable. Beautifully made and sounds fantastic with the Shanling (can't say enough good things about this DAP! Turbo Mode 760mW at 32 Ohms out of the balanced 2.5mm or 4.4, no problem driving the Senns}.

No struggling with the the cup connectors, they plug in with a nice gentle click with the -/+ facing out. Red right and black left.
I’ve got a Litz UPOCC cable brand new from XinHS in the classifieds if anyone wants something similar…

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #44,440 of 46,499
I can definitly tell that the burn in process in this headphones is not the brain. When i bought them I EQ over 1k by -1 or -2 db to please my taste. Now i have fully removed the eq and it sound perfect for me. It's imposible to think that the brain can make such a difference.

In other hand, if the pads are getting "thiner" that would make the highs closer to my ear, make them even more noticable. So i don't think that is a pad thing either.

Almost in 60/70 hours of listening, best headphones I ever have. Still thinking they are my end game. 10/10

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #44,441 of 46,499
I can definitly tell that the burn in process in this headphones is not the brain. When i bought them I EQ over 1k by -1 or -2 db to please my taste. Now i have fully removed the eq and it sound perfect for me. It's imposible to think that the brain can make such a difference.

In other hand, if the pads are getting "thiner" that would make the highs closer to my ear, make them even more noticable. So i don't think that is a pad thing either.

Almost in 60/70 hours of listening, best headphones I ever have. Still thinking they are my end game. 10/10
Not all pad types wear the same way. Here's how the pad wear impacts the 650: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/sennheiser-hd650/

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #44,442 of 46,499
It's impossible (for me) to think that the brain can make such a difference.
Let me fix that for you ^_^.
Your experience of a new headphone relies mostly on your experience of whatever you were using before that for a long period. As you spend more time listening to the new headphone, your brain adapts to it(trying to work out what the new normal is). So your assumption that your preferred response or even your impressions didn't change is very likely to be wrong. Do not underestimate the adaptability of a brain!

Then we have very objective, very acoustic related possibilities of signature changes. The pads slowly conforming to your head, or a different adjustment in the way you wear the headphones. That could easily get you one or 2dB deviations.
Here is the old graph from Innerfidelity with the grey lines being the measurements of 5 different placements on the dummy head.
Screenshot 2021-09-03 125220.png

So clearly I'm not claiming that it's all in your head. I'm simply making a list of possibilities, and out of them all(I might be missing some, like, did you drop the headphone since day one? Was there a massive change in temperature and humidity over that period of time? Did you clean your ears? etc), I wonder how you decided that your impressions had to be caused by driver burn in?

It's always good to make a list of possibilities, and to rule out only the ones we actually can rule out(wanting to, doesn't count :wink: ).

Hi Guys I've a question
Thanks
I learned on this(range at the bottom):
Y1umS.png

I don't know if that chart should be a reference. It's been mine for a long time, so if I talk about midrange, you can be confident that I'm referring to this. ^_^

About flat midrange, I'm sorry to tell you that with headphones, there is not much that applies to all listeners. A graph a dummy head measures is based on some averaging of human heads. But beside a bunch of guys falling right on that average body, everybody else will be a little different and a measurement at their eardrum(if it was possible while alive and not screaming from pain...), would show a different frequency response.
For example, Harman came up with a headphone target(very serious work) that seems to please a majority of listeners. So it's probably a good idea to start with something similar to that target. But a majority in this case is somewhere around 60%. Leaving about 4 out of 10 listeners wanting for something different!!!!

That doesn't help you at all, sorry. But hopefully it can help you avoid a few bandwagon traps later on. Beside trying to see if you get lucky with some standards, your best bet is to try a bunch of headphones with known FR, and learn to correlate how you feel with those graphs so you can determine where to go next. Or to play around with an EQ, also to learn more about your very own needs. I hate it, but some serious amount of luck is involved in finding our neutral or our preferred sound(often enough the same thing).

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #44,444 of 46,499
Let me fix that for you ^_^.
Your experience of a new headphone relies mostly on your experience of whatever you were using before that for a long period. As you spend more time listening to the new headphone, your brain adapts to it(trying to work out what the new normal is). So your assumption that your preferred response or even your impressions didn't change is very likely to be wrong. Do not underestimate the adaptability of a brain!

Then we have very objective, very acoustic related possibilities of signature changes. The pads slowly conforming to your head, or a different adjustment in the way you wear the headphones. That could easily get you one or 2dB deviations.
Here is the old graph from Innerfidelity with the grey lines being the measurements of 5 different placements on the dummy head.
Screenshot 2021-09-03 125220.png

So clearly I'm not claiming that it's all in your head. I'm simply making a list of possibilities, and out of them all(I might be missing some, like, did you drop the headphone since day one? Was there a massive change in temperature and humidity over that period of time? Did you clean your ears? etc), I wonder how you decided that your impressions had to be caused by driver burn in?

It's always good to make a list of possibilities, and to rule out only the ones we actually can rule out(wanting to, doesn't count :wink: ).

I learned on this(range at the bottom):
Y1umS.png

I don't know if that chart should be a reference. It's been mine for a long time, so if I talk about midrange, you can be confident that I'm referring to this. ^_^

About flat midrange, I'm sorry to tell you that with headphones, there is not much that applies to all listeners. A graph a dummy head measures is based on some averaging of human heads. But beside a bunch of guys falling right on that average body, everybody else will be a little different and a measurement at their eardrum(if it was possible while alive and not screaming from pain...), would show a different frequency response.
For example, Harman came up with a headphone target(very serious work) that seems to please a majority of listeners. So it's probably a good idea to start with something similar to that target. But a majority in this case is somewhere around 60%. Leaving about 4 out of 10 listeners wanting for something different!!!!

That doesn't help you at all, sorry. But hopefully it can help you avoid a few bandwagon traps later on. Beside trying to see if you get lucky with some standards, your best bet is to try a bunch of headphones with known FR, and learn to correlate how you feel with those graphs so you can determine where to go next. Or to play around with an EQ, also to learn more about your very own needs. I hate it, but some serious amount of luck is involved in finding our neutral or our preferred sound(often enough the same thing).
The brain does adapt and change. I was an alcoholic before a massive cerebellar stroke. Now, after recovery, I am not an alcoholic. I can actually drink like a normal, nonalcoholic. It really blows my mind. No cravings. This is part of the reason brain adaptation theories on headphones resonate with me. The brain is so amazing, yet enigmatic.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #44,445 of 46,499
The brain does adapt and change. I was an alcoholic before a massive cerebellar stroke. Now, after recovery, I am not an alcoholic. I can actually drink like a normal, nonalcoholic. It really blows my mind. No cravings. This is part of the reason brain adaptation theories on headphones resonate with me. The brain is so amazing, yet enigmatic.
No kidding! Thanks for sharing your story.

Psychoactive medications are another example… the most brilliant scientists and doctors generally have no idea how any of these drugs actually work. We understand very, very little about the brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back