Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #44,446 of 46,499
I learned on this(range at the bottom):
Y1umS.png

I don't know if that chart should be a reference. It's been mine for a long time, so if I talk about midrange, you can be confident that I'm referring to this. ^_^

About flat midrange, I'm sorry to tell you that with headphones, there is not much that applies to all listeners. A graph a dummy head measures is based on some averaging of human heads. But beside a bunch of guys falling right on that average body, everybody else will be a little different and a measurement at their eardrum(if it was possible while alive and not screaming from pain...), would show a different frequency response.
For example, Harman came up with a headphone target(very serious work) that seems to please a majority of listeners. So it's probably a good idea to start with something similar to that target. But a majority in this case is somewhere around 60%. Leaving about 4 out of 10 listeners wanting for something different!!!!

That doesn't help you at all, sorry. But hopefully it can help you avoid a few bandwagon traps later on. Beside trying to see if you get lucky with some standards, your best bet is to try a bunch of headphones with known FR, and learn to correlate how you feel with those graphs so you can determine where to go next. Or to play around with an EQ, also to learn more about your very own needs. I hate it, but some serious amount of luck is involved in finding our neutral or our preferred sound(often enough the same thing).
I really like this chart! Very informative - thanks for sharing.

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #44,447 of 46,499
I really like this chart! Very informative - thanks for sharing.
When i listen To the music,my focus Is on the Electric Guitar..I listen To Rory Gallagher,Jimi Hendrix,Ritchie Blackmore,Gary Rossington,Uli Roth ecc...Guitar Is Basically in the Midrange region of a Mix with Vocals (I Don't care Vocals).It's important to me that HD600 response Between 1500/4000 kz Is Flat or 1/2/3 db UP..

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #44,448 of 46,499
So I've owned my 650 for 4 months now and used them as my daily driver for 2 months or so. I've since tried a lot more headphones and wanted to talk about something I don't often hear when people discuss the hd650. This isn't a warning, it's just something to keep in mind, as it can be both amazing and too much of a good thing. The mids are very, very smooth. Veeeeery smooth. When I listen to let's say some metal and try to listen to what's happening on the guitars I find myself struggling because I feel like there isn't enough detail, and it's so laid back that it doesn't feel concrete enough, if that makes sense.

I've been going back and forth on if I want to keep my 650 or 580 and right now I'm leaning towards the 580 simply because of 3 issues with the 650: The bass is messy, and there's no way to fix it with eq, it's just how it is. The mids are extremely smooth (to a fault for me) and despite me trying I struggle to lift the veil in the treble area. When I bought the 650 my thinking was that the bass is good enough, treble are good enough, but the mids are *amazing*. After having tried more options I feel like both the treble and the bass are dissapointing, and the mids are sometimes good and sometimes not. Also, after comparing the 650 to the 580 I find that the 650 timbre is quite off. I know it's kind of a big selling point, but the timbre honestly is too warm to sound truly natural to my ears, at least.

That being said, these are subjective "issues". The 650 (and esp 6xx if you live in NA) are GREAT deals, but I find people simp for them to an unhealthy degree. They're exceptional because they don't do anything horribly long (unlike other offerings in the midfi price range) but the things I mentioned above are things I can't ignore, and it makes me a bit sad. If I had enough money to have 4-5 pairs of headphones I'd keep them, but I'm looking to own a max of 3, and with the Bori and 580 that means I have one more slot, and it's no longer reserved for the 650 for :frowning2:

TL;DR: 650 are obviously amazing, but they're not without their faults, which needs to be kept in mind when buying them.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #44,449 of 46,499
So I've owned my 650 for 4 months now and used them as my daily driver for 2 months or so. I've since tried a lot more headphones and wanted to talk about something I don't often hear when people discuss the hd650. This isn't a warning, it's just something to keep in mind, as it can be both amazing and too much of a good thing. The mids are very, very smooth. Veeeeery smooth. When I listen to let's say some metal and try to listen to what's happening on the guitars I find myself struggling because I feel like there isn't enough detail, and it's so laid back that it doesn't feel concrete enough, if that makes sense.

I've been going back and forth on if I want to keep my 650 or 580 and right now I'm leaning towards the 580 simply because of 3 issues with the 650: The bass is messy, and there's no way to fix it with eq, it's just how it is. The mids are extremely smooth (to a fault for me) and despite me trying I struggle to lift the veil in the treble area. When I bought the 650 my thinking was that the bass is good enough, treble are good enough, but the mids are *amazing*. After having tried more options I feel like both the treble and the bass are dissapointing, and the mids are sometimes good and sometimes not. Also, after comparing the 650 to the 580 I find that the 650 timbre is quite off. I know it's kind of a big selling point, but the timbre honestly is too warm to sound truly natural to my ears, at least.

That being said, these are subjective "issues". The 650 (and esp 6xx if you live in NA) are GREAT deals, but I find people simp for them to an unhealthy degree. They're exceptional because they don't do anything horribly long (unlike other offerings in the midfi price range) but the things I mentioned above are things I can't ignore, and it makes me a bit sad. If I had enough money to have 4-5 pairs of headphones I'd keep them, but I'm looking to own a max of 3, and with the Bori and 580 that means I have one more slot, and it's no longer reserved for the 650 for :frowning2:

TL;DR: 650 are obviously amazing, but they're not without their faults, which needs to be kept in mind when buying them.
I agree with you about guitars— on the HD 650 electric guitar distortion just sounds a little too nice. Like a guitarist might want to be a cool badass in a leather jacket, cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth. But the HD 650 says nope, you’re a gentleman with a soft cardigan. Maybe you can have a pipe, if you behave.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #44,450 of 46,499
Are the HD 650 and 600 again Made in Ireland or still Made in Romania?
I just noticed that on Sennheiser site they now state this:
Everything about the HD 650 was made with more in mind: more details discovered, more musicality, and definitely more time for monitoring. Made in Ireland at a state-of-the-art production facility, the HD 650 combines the best of modern transducer manufacturing with the attention to detail required to handle a wide variety of acoustic materials.
Or maybe they mean that only the transducer is Made in Ireland?
The HD 600 is assembled in Ireland at a state-of-the-art production facility with the attention to detail required to handle a wide variety of acoustic materials.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #44,453 of 46,499
Hi, all. I've been doing written reviews of gear on HiFi Guides Forum and Head-Fi for over a year now and have now launched a YouTube channel. I did a 6xx review as a baseline establishing review for the YT audience. Please check it out:

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #44,454 of 46,499

The 600 will give you your well etched guitars for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back