Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #44,416 of 46,499
It's incredible de burn in effect in the HD 650. I'm in 50/60 hours and it's always going better. Bass response, recces in the treble area (in the good way) and soundstage are the more noticiable effects.
How do you know that the headphone is undergoing some kind of mechanical change as opposed to your brain getting more and more used to the sound signature?

Aug 28, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #44,417 of 46,499
How do you know that the headphone is undergoing some kind of mechanical change as opposed to your brain getting more and more used to the sound signature?
The burn-in effect is usually a minimal change in the mids. What definitely does happen with most headphones is the pads become a little worn and change the signature.

Worn 650/6XX pads tend to result in a reduced bass hump and relaxed treble.

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #44,418 of 46,499
Yes, the pads if worn enough do make an audible difference.

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #44,419 of 46,499
So I am looking for my next DAC and Amp for my HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus. I last had a Marantz HD-DAC1 which I now somewhat regret selling as it was quite good. I also briefly had a Schiit Valhalla 2 which I had paired with the DAC1. Tube rolling is a bit intimidating so I may not want another tube amp. However I am in talks with someone about purchasing their Darkvoice. Either way I would still want a DAC to compliment whichever amp I get. I'm looking at the Drop Airist R2R DAC or Schiit Bifrost. The former I have found used on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart). I'm also considering other Schiit amp offerings like the Jotenheim, Lyr 3 or Asgard. Trying to keep within $1K Canadian for each item.

Aug 28, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #44,420 of 46,499
Aug 28, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #44,421 of 46,499
Aug 28, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #44,422 of 46,499
So I am looking for my next DAC and Amp for my HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus. I last had a Marantz HD-DAC1 which I now somewhat regret selling as it was quite good. I also briefly had a Schiit Valhalla 2 which I had paired with the DAC1. Tube rolling is a bit intimidating so I may not want another tube amp. However I am in talks with someone about purchasing their Darkvoice. Either way I would still want a DAC to compliment whichever amp I get. I'm looking at the Drop Airist R2R DAC or Schiit Bifrost. The former I have found used on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart). I'm also considering other Schiit amp offerings like the Jotenheim, Lyr 3 or Asgard. Trying to keep within $1K Canadian for each item.

The Liquid Platinum is one of my favorite amps under $800 for the Aeolus/Atticus/HD6XX.

There's one available on CAM for $600 CAD.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #44,423 of 46,499
The Liquid Platinum is one of my favorite amps under $800 for the Aeolus/Atticus/HD6XX.

There's one available on CAM for $600 CAD.

I did see that one. But isn't a hybrid tube amp not as "tubey" as an straight up tube amp? Isn't something like a Darkvoice a straight tube amp?

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #44,424 of 46,499
I did see that one. But isn't a hybrid tube amp not as "tubey" as an straight up tube amp? Isn't something like a Darkvoice a straight tube amp?

I'm not sure I would want a "tubey" amp with warm headphones like the HD6XX and the Aeolus. I have never heard the Darkvoice, but trust me the Liquid Platinum is match made in heaven with the Aeolus and the HD6XX. Especially with the Aeolus.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #44,425 of 46,499
I'm not sure I would want a "tubey" sound with warm headphones like the HD6XX and the Aeolus. I have never heard the Darkvoice, but trust me the Liquid Platinum is match made in heaven with the Aeolus and the HD6XX. Especially with the Aeolus.

What about "tube rolling"? Are the stock tubes good enough? I also see you have the Denfrips Ares II. I am looking for a new DAC as well and I have heard that one is really good.

Aug 28, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #44,426 of 46,499
What about "tube rolling"? Are the stock tubes good enough? I also see you have the Denfrips Ares II. I am looking for a new DAC as well and I have heard that one is really good.

I have replaced the stock tubes by the JJ Gold 6922. You don't need anything better than the JJ Gold trust me. Just stay away from the LP Tube Rollers thread..

Yes the Ares II is a very good DAC, my favorite DAC under $1000 CAD.

Aug 28, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #44,427 of 46,499
I have replaced the stock tubes by the JJ Gold 6922. You don't need anything better than the JJ Gold trust me. Just stay away from the LP Tube Rollers thread..

Yes the Ares II is a very good DAC, my favorite DAC under $1000 CAD.

I assume I would want the "balanced and matched" option for those as I would need a pair right? Yes tube rolling can be quite the rabbit hole.

The Ares II is a bit hard to find used. Perhaps cause it's so good and/or popular. I was also looking at the Bifrost 2 or Drop Airist R2R.

Aug 28, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #44,428 of 46,499
I assume I would want the "balanced and matched" option for those as I would need a pair right? Yes tube rolling can be quite the rabbit hole.

The Ares II is a bit hard to find used. Perhaps cause it's so good and/or popular. I was also looking at the Bifrost 2 or Drop Airist R2R.

Yeah I have paid the extra $5 to get the matched and balanced tubes. I agree it's a rabbit hole, but with the LP I have never been tempted to change the tubes after I got the JJ Gold. The Bifrost 2 is also a very good DAC but I slightly prefer the Ares II. The sound is more fun and alive with the Ares II.

Aug 28, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #44,429 of 46,499
Yeah I have paid the extra $5 to get the matched and balanced tubes. I agree it's a rabbit hole, but with the LP I have never been tempted to change the tubes after I got the JJ Gold. The Bifrost 2 is also a very good DAC but I slightly prefer the Ares II. The sound is more fun and alive with the Ares II.

Okay. Seems if there is more than one tube they should be matched. So how would you describe the Bifrost 2?

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #44,430 of 46,499
Okay. Seems if there is more than one tube they should be matched. So how would you describe the Bifrost 2?

Oh man, I'm really not a good person to explain the differences in between DACs.

At the end, they’re both great DACs. The Ares II has more energy and is more engaging, the Bifrost 2 is more 'bassy' and laid back.

There's a very good review of the Bifrost 2 here, the guy has also compared the BF2 vs the Ares II.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back