Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #41,941 of 46,514
Unfortunately not everyone can afford the Eddie Current & DNa headamps. The Cavalli liquid platinum at around 700.00 is a great choice and is better than most amps mentioned here.

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #41,942 of 46,514
Some of you guys are getting hybrid amps and tube amps mixed up.The Schiit Valhalla is a tube amp. The Schiit Lyr and other one or two tubes amps are not. If you want the best out of your HD 650, 600 or MD 6xx headphones, get a real tube amp. If you want to go for the best, get a DNA Stratus, Stellaris or ZD tube amp.

Tube amp = tube preamp section AND separate tube power amp section.
Hybrid Tube amp = tube preamp section AND solid state power amp section.
Solid Sate amp = NO tubes.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #41,943 of 46,514
Although I've owned the 650 for years before I sold them, (big mistake) I decided to get the 6XX to compare to my 600 and 58X.

With fresh pads, the 6XX is definitely brighter than I remember. I'm not talking about the low or mid treble, but the highest octave with overtones and cymbals. They seem more pronounced and detailed in that upper treble, surprisingly, out of the 6XX than either the 600 or 58X. The 600 to me sometimes has too much in the higher mids for badly mastered pop and rock. I guess you could call it slightly shouty. This is immediately apparent when switching between the 58X and 600, although a little less drastic comparing the 600 and 6XX. Bass is a bit more present on the 6XX, no surprise, but it's not a huge difference. Just a little fuller on the 6XX, and extends a bit deeper too. However, I sometimes find the 6XX lacks precision and clarity in the bass, at least compared to the 600 and 58X. The 58X extends the furthest out of these 3. I'm hearing the 600 as having the highest quality and fastest bass out of the 3, especially when you EQ the sub bass a little. I find out of the 3, the 650/6XX has the most natural/lifelike tone. The 6XX also sounds the most like a good speaker setup to me.

I think the 650/6XX sounds great with pretty much every genre I throw at it, without any fatigue. I can't say the same for the 600 or the 58X, especially with the 600. The 600 sounds the most fatiguing with already brightly mastered music. Although, I do prefer the 600 with well recorded classical/instrumental music because it has the most revealing mids and treble detail. Unfortunately, this extra detail can cause fatigue on bright music.

I know many people can't hear a difference between the 600 and 650, but I certainly do. However, I really don't have a strong preference for one to the other. I think I am going to keep both, each for their different purposes. The 600s are better for instrumental and listening for details, while the 650/6XX are better for casual listening and long fatigue-free listening. I will also probably use the 6XX for all gaming. So, for me, it's worth keeping both the 600 and 6XX. As for the 58X, well, it hasn't been getting much listening time at all since I got the 600 and 6XX.

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #41,944 of 46,514
Although I've owned the 650 for years before I sold them, (big mistake) I decided to get the 6XX to compare to my 600 and 58X.

With fresh pads, the 6XX is definitely brighter than I remember. I'm not talking about the low or mid treble, but the highest octave with overtones and cymbals. They seem more pronounced and detailed in that upper treble, surprisingly, out of the 6XX than either the 600 or 58X. The 600 to me sometimes has too much in the higher mids for badly mastered pop and rock. I guess you could call it slightly shouty. This is immediately apparent when switching between the 58X and 600, although a little less drastic comparing the 600 and 6XX. Bass is a bit more present on the 6XX, no surprise, but it's not a huge difference. Just a little fuller on the 6XX, and extends a bit deeper too. However, I sometimes find the 6XX lacks precision and clarity in the bass, at least compared to the 600 and 58X. The 58X extends the furthest out of these 3. I'm hearing the 600 as having the highest quality and fastest bass out of the 3, especially when you EQ the sub bass a little. I find out of the 3, the 650/6XX has the most natural/lifelike tone. The 6XX also sounds the most like a good speaker setup to me.

I think the 650/6XX sounds great with pretty much every genre I throw at it, without any fatigue. I can't say the same for the 600 or the 58X, especially with the 600. The 600 sounds the most fatiguing with already brightly mastered music. Although, I do prefer the 600 with well recorded classical/instrumental music because it has the most revealing mids and treble detail. Unfortunately, this extra detail can cause fatigue on bright music.

I know many people can't hear a difference between the 600 and 650, but I certainly do. However, I really don't have a strong preference for one to the other. I think I am going to keep both, each for their different purposes. The 600s are better for instrumental and listening for details, while the 650/6XX are better for casual listening and long fatigue-free listening. I will also probably use the 6XX for all gaming. So, for me, it's worth keeping both the 600 and 6XX. As for the 58X, well, it hasn't been getting much listening time at all since I got the 600 and 6XX.

What you hear i got with the 650 on rock, the 660S fixed that midrange peak, i can now turn up the volume higher without shouting or fatigue. You cannot hear this porblem with 650 though on well mastered acoustic or jazz, its completely tame and relaxed. It wont be an issue for everyone but for people that like rock, pop, metal music from 90s onwards its an big deal.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #41,946 of 46,514
http://wallstreetcn.com/https://www.jinse.com/ ,他也被称为“世界区块链改革的第一人”和“区块链教父”。面对区块链的未来,朱教授非常自信:区块链肯定会极其颠覆地改变我们的生活
wps250.tmp.png

Ah what a coincidence, just browsling through the 650/6XX thread and i thought it would be lovely to read some news in Chinese. thank you TONG

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #41,947 of 46,514
http://wallstreetcn.com/ https://www.jinse.com/ ,他也被称为“世界区块链改革的第一人”和“区块链教父”。面对区块链的未来,朱教授非常自信:区块链肯定会极其颠覆地改变我们的生活。

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ksohtml\wps24E.tmp.png

作为中国经济信息网和中国经济50人论坛的创始人之一,过去二十年来,中国的经济发展受到了政策制定者的第一手研究的影响和推动。特别是在宏观经济和产业发展领域,他有着杰出的学术成就。它得到了全国人民代表大会,国家开发银行等组织的关注和认可,并多次获得国家 计委和国家信息中心的奖励。

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ksohtml\wps24F.tmp.png

此外,作为宏观经济学和区块链经济学的思想家和传播者,朱教授在北京大学,清华大学,中央电视台和www.thepaper.cn/上发表了近100篇关于宏观经济学和区块链经济学的讲座。他在中国的新刊“新华文摘”等刊物上发表了100多篇学术论文。朱教授能够承受孤独,坚定,身体和精神上致力于国家科研和经济领域,为国家的科技,经济和改革做出了突出贡献。

www.atox.io

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ksohtml\wps250.tmp.png
Not really sure about the relevance :thinking:

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #41,948 of 46,514
Ah what a coincidence, just browsling through the 650/6XX thread and i thought it would be lovely to read some news in Chinese. thank you TONG

Not really sure about the relevance :thinking:
They appear to be spamming. Four posts, all about blockchain.
And that seems less like news and more like propaganda for Professor Zhu. Weird.

Anyway. I've reported the poster for spamming. Don't know if it'll make a difference if you guys report them too, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #41,949 of 46,514
They appear to be spamming. Four posts, all about blockchain.
And that seems less like news and more like propaganda for Professor Zhu. Weird.

Anyway. I've reported the poster for spamming. Don't know if it'll make a difference if you guys report them too, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

I don't know how to report. Please report. Not relevant at all. That guy should be banned.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #41,950 of 46,514
I don't know how to report. Please report. Not relevant at all. That guy should be banned.
At the bottom of a commenter's post on the lefthand side there's a "Report" button. It's directly across from the "Like," "+ Quote," and "Reply" buttons. Click on it and it'll come up with a small dialog and a prompt asking you to describe the reason for the report.

EDIT: Looks like to post is gone already. Go us!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #41,951 of 46,514
At the bottom of a commenter's post on the lefthand side there's a "Report" button. It's directly across from the "Like," "+ Quote," and "Reply" buttons. Click on it and it'll come up with a small dialog and a prompt asking you to describe the reason for the report.

EDIT: Looks like to post is gone already. Go us!

Thanks for explanation

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #41,952 of 46,514
What you hear i got with the 650 on rock, the 660S fixed that midrange peak, i can now turn up the volume higher without shouting or fatigue. You cannot hear this porblem with 650 though on well mastered acoustic or jazz, its completely tame and relaxed. It wont be an issue for everyone but for people that like rock, pop, metal music from 90s onwards its an big deal.
Do you have a newer HD 650? Because I have a 2012 HD 650 since a few days, and it is definitely smoother than the HD 6xx I had a few months ago, even with the stock cable.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #41,953 of 46,514
Do you have a newer HD 650? Because I have a 2012 HD 650 since a few days, and it is definitely smoother than the HD 6xx I had a few months ago, even with the stock cable.
It just sounds like he's a bit sensitive to upper-mids because there is no way 650/6XX treble should bother anybody.

I think the 660S cuts out of bit of the upper-mids, and sound less dynamic partially due to this, and makes it a better headphone for pop with high compression loudness with it not having too much treble presencr(with mainly the slight peak at 5k). 2-3k depression I really didn't like as it created a muted effect to sound like there was not enough forwardness and vocals recessed a bit. I think this was the vary reason I tried to raise the volume with it and didn't give the impression volume was increasing much.

I'm curious if the upper-upper mids are less present with HD650 than 6XX? I suspect that there slightly more there with 6XX, but I don't have the 650 for direct comparison. Wish somebody near me had one.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #41,954 of 46,514
Hey is there a way to clean the ear pads on the Sennheiser 6 series without ruining them? I know I'd have to remove them but I fear breaking them if I try even though individual parts can be replaced on this series if need be.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #41,955 of 46,514
It just sounds like he's a bit sensitive to upper-mids because there is no way 650/6XX treble should bother anybody.

I think the 660S cuts out of bit of the upper-mids, and sound less dynamic partially due to this, and makes it a better headphone for pop with high compression loudness with it not having too much treble presencr(with mainly the slight peak at 5k). 2-3k depression I really didn't like as it created a muted effect to sound like there was not enough forwardness and vocals recessed a bit. I think this was the vary reason I tried to raise the volume with it and didn't give the impression volume was increasing much.

I'm curious if the upper-upper mids are less present with HD650 than 6XX? I suspect that there slightly more there with 6XX, but I don't have the 650 for direct comparison. Wish somebody near me had one.
I think vocal forwardness has more to do with lower midrange emphasis, transient response and soundstage width than upper mid emphasis. I find a recession in the uppermids fine for vocals as long as the upper treble isn't dull and lower mids are forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back