Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #28,546 of 46,499
  @MattTCG  ^ This is one I don't have yet -- will check it out! The original Trinity is sublime on floor and the 650.

You don't have trinity revisited? 
eek.gif
  Do yourself the favor and go grab it quick...you can thank me later. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #28,549 of 46,499
  One of the keys to the staying power of the 650 simply comes down to tone. There is a natural reproduction of voices and instruments that is really hard to find in other headphones unless you plan to spend exponentially more cash. 

If you play an instrument and been around other musicians, you can not help but listen for tone...it's second nature. The 650 never disappoints me in that regard. 

That's a perfect description of the HD-650.

My *only* complaint: the clamping effect on my head. It never really bothered me, until I spent time with the HD-700 and then the physical comfort difference was obvious. I know I could probably bend the metal out a bit, but I've always worried that the firm clamping is a required part of the design.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #28,550 of 46,499

That's a perfect description of the HD-650.

My *only* complaint: the clamping effect on my head. It never really bothered me, until I spent time with the HD-700 and then the physical comfort difference was obvious. I know I could probably bend the metal out a bit, but I've always worried that the firm clamping is a required part of the design.

You're right to worry, in my experience. I bent out the metal arms on my pair and it definitely reduces the clamp but at the cost of reduced bass impact. Kick drums & the like. I ended up bending them back and just got used to the clamp.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #28,551 of 46,499

You're right to worry, in my experience. I bent out the metal arms on my pair and it definitely reduces the clamp but at the cost of reduced bass impact. Kick drums & the like. I ended up bending them back and just got used to the clamp.

+1 - first pair had the band modified as I bought them second hand... the new pair I bought, the clamp was a bit rough for a month or two, but I wouldn't recommend for anyone to mess with the band/metal/whatever. The clamp mostly goes away after a fair amount of usage, and they sound awesome without modifying anything.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #28,553 of 46,499

Curious -- how does the 650 rate among the crowd there in Japan? Not always symmetry across the oceans, ya know.

My friend says that many of his friends have the HD-650, seems like its well like in Japan as well, even his younger daughter has one.
  One of the keys to the staying power of the 650 simply comes down to tone. There is a natural reproduction of voices and instruments that is really hard to find in other headphones unless you plan to spend exponentially more cash. 

If you play an instrument and been around other musicians, you can not help but listen for tone...it's second nature. The 650 never disappoints me in that regard. 

+1 Agree with you, used to play guitar, ukulele (Hawaiian guitar) and trumpet from elementary school until I got married, really bummed I sold my Fender Strat, still have the Bach Stradivarious trumpet and Kamaka ukulele.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #28,554 of 46,499
  haha. me, too...

I've never heard it but I hadn't heard the original Trinity Session until last night. I haven't listened to anything else since. It's a truly outstanding recording!

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #28,556 of 46,499
  My friend says that many of his friends have the HD-650, seems like its well like in Japan as well, even his younger daughter has one.
+1 Agree with you, used to play guitar, ukulele (Hawaiian guitar) and trumpet from elementary school until I got married, really bummed I sold my Fender Strat, still have the Bach Stradivarious trumpet and Kamaka ukulele.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I worked in the hi-fi trade. It was around the time when the KI Sig Marantz products were hitting the shelves. Pioneer too, with the A400 amp. Prior to those Japanese hi-fi was always good at bass & treble but suddenly they were competing in the mids. That's generally where the vocals live and the accepted rationale was that Japanese consumers wanted to really hear a nuanced reproduction of the English language and so certain manufacturers put a lot of effort into making the mids genuinely transparent.

I have no idea how true that actually was but there you go. Just thought I'd share that nugget.
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #28,557 of 46,499
  agreed! one of my faves as well!

Id never heard the Cowboy Junkies, period. They were mentioned a lot of course but there was always something about the name that turned me off. Now that I have this album - and being the completist that I am - this is going to cost me.
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #28,558 of 46,499
Cowboy Junkies: Trinity both original and Revisited are amazing!! I have a concert of them playing in my little hometown too lol. Actually almost all their albums are great - check out Whites Off Earth Now.

Posted a while back, but if anyone is looking for some very special footage of them PM me :)

PS: Have a bit of bandwidth....

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #28,559 of 46,499
@DavidA - soooooo jealous! Enjoy the wine.....and the sonics :wink:

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #28,560 of 46,499
  What is it about HD 650s?
Are they colored in a euphoric way that almost everyone falls in love with?
OR
Are they just so dang accurate and "right" that they scale to the level of any new feed.
12 years and running, they still set a standard thats hard to surpass in a complete manner.

For the longest time they were the highest model number and most expensive from Sennheiser. The 580/600/650 numbering scheme and price influences perception on quality.

I am listening to the 650 right now after owning the 580 for years and I am shocked how similar they sound. Very subtle improvements and a veil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back