Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #28,516 of 46,533
  As I've gradually moved my upstream gear up the chain, the hd650 never fails to surprise me with it's ability to scale with better gear. While I would have never popped for a Gungnir MB and cma800r amp JUST for the hd650, plugging the 650 into this gear puts a huge smile on my face. And surprisingly the 650 continues to get gobs of headtime despite having more expensive headphones at my disposal. 

This is exactly what I am hoping to get out of my HD650 Matt.

I originally bought my new amp for my HD800....but in the back of my head, I was thinking....the HD650 should benefit very nicely as well  
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #28,517 of 46,533
  ^^ I was thinking of picking up the he560 again. Do you find that it's a good complement to the hd650?

Absolutely. I adore the pair. Shiraz (650) and Merlot (560).
The 560 has tighter, more accurate bass (coming out of Polaris or BHA-1) with textured highs, and is superb for symphonies and strings.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #28,518 of 46,533
  As I've gradually moved my upstream gear up the chain, the hd650 never fails to surprise me with it's ability to scale with better gear. While I would have never popped for a Gungnir MB and cma800r amp JUST for the hd650, plugging the 650 into this gear puts a huge smile on my face. And surprisingly the 650 continues to get gobs of headtime despite having more expensive headphones at my disposal. 

I hope getting a new DAC can give me more wonder like a new amp did. The headphone's character definitely has changed a bit. It's like it has more room to breath and resolves better. It is still similar in tone, yet there is something quite different about it too. I'm really not sure about all this, the HD650 was my first headphone that was gear dependent and this is the first time I've heard it out of anything other than my D1. Can't wait to go to a meet soon and go around plugging it into stuff haha.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #28,519 of 46,533
The DAC (GMB) has made a much more significant difference that I imagined. Multi Bit technology is a game changer IMO and I love what it's done for the sound with the 650. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #28,520 of 46,533
  The DAC (GMB) has made a much more significant difference that I imagined. Multi Bit technology is a game changer IMO and I love what it's done for the sound with the 650. 

I agree... the multibit DACs really do change the game. The listening sessions I've had with the Yggy were both astounding. I'll be enjoying the MB Gungnir next time I'm back home and I'm interested to hear what it does for the 650's... 

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #28,521 of 46,533
How so? What exactly is it all about precisely? Coincidentally, I just heard about this when my friend was telling me he wanted a MB Gungnir for his setup.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #28,524 of 46,533
Yeah IIRC and IMO, the LCD series sounded too speaker-like and non-engaging / slightly darker than the HD 650, although maybe a bit larger stage. Yeah the 650 scales 'up to the moon', making amps literally a dozen times their price totally worth it. Not to long ago I had also seen an experienced Head-Fi'er go to a day long headphone meet using only the 650's to audition all of the amps there, and he got some astounding results from the big amps with it.

The very slight mid-bass hump is subtle enough to only bother the most discerning of audiophiles, but the slight roll off of the extended highs is something that EQ-ing can take care of, or even tube-rolling if you're resourceful enough.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #28,526 of 46,533
My pre-fazor LCD-2 rev.2 beat out the HD650 in terms of depth, but the HD650 shone through in width of soundstage - particularly from balanced amplifiers. The richness in the way the HD650 presents layers made up for its comparative lack of depth. In terms of cohesion, I'd give the points to the HD650 in the soundstage department.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #28,529 of 46,533
What is it about HD 650s?
Are they colored in a euphoric way that almost everyone falls in love with?
OR
Are they just so dang accurate and "right" that they scale to the level of any new feed.
12 years and running, they still set a standard thats hard to surpass in a complete manner.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #28,530 of 46,533
  What is it about HD 650s?
Are they colored in a euphoric way that almost everyone falls in love with?
OR
Are they just so dang accurate and "right" that they scale to the level of any new feed.
12 years and running, they still set a standard thats hard to surpass in a complete manner.

I would say they give more of a euphoric presentation that everyone falls in love with, it's especially 'hypnotizing' with a decent tube amp. It presents the recording faithfully and good for mastering / listening, but not exactly in an analytical / 'plankton' detail revealing kind of way. The transducers technology / voice coil could be what allows it to refine all the way up with the big beast amps. But that's just IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back