Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #28,501 of 46,533
  My Lyr 2, HE-500, and Q701 should all be here tomorrow. Can't wait to play around with it all. I hope I can notice some improvement in the HD650 on the Lyr 2. This will also be my first time using my D1 solely as a DAC.

I own the HE-500, Lyr (1st gen) and the HD650... I think you will like the things that the lyr does for those Senns... et al...  A good budget set of tubes are the Matsush1tas (aka Amperax/Mullard Japan) will be an improvement over the stock tubes if you get the itch to 'roll!

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #28,502 of 46,533
I sure do hope so! I might start rolling tubes soon...this is my first tube amp so we'll see how I feel about it. I'm pretty much gonna stick with this setup for a long while. Before I start to hop into summit-fi, my next step is a new DAC, then a few more headphones for fun in the lower price ranges. I see myself more as a collector and appreciator of various headphones sounds so I want a few more before I take the leap up the latter to end game stuff.

Sep 4, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #28,503 of 46,533
Thanks to all for your thoughts/input regarding the iPhone 6 to the 650s.

It seems the general consensus is that "You will hear music, but not very loud AND the performance of the 'phone will suffer". All of that makes sense to me as from what I have read, the 650 scales well with better source gear. Good to know info. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #28,504 of 46,533
Labor Day sales usually aren't that great. The best prices will tend to be around November-December with Black Friday and pre-Christmas sales and I believe at that point last year they could be had on Amazon in the $300-325 range. I got mine in December last year for $288 delivered from an ebay vendor who claimed to be an authorized dealer, though I didn't bother to verify that. Razor Dog used to have consistently good prices on Sennheisers but it looks like they don't carry the brand anymore.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones/product/B00018MSNI

And I've been waiting for them to go back on sale for $287 ever since. :xf_eek:

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #28,505 of 46,533
  I ordered some 650 drivers and put them in my 580s. I dunno what I was expecting but I am a bit disappointed. The 580 and 650 have almost the same sound signature. Far more in common then different.

Before someone says "BUT THE GRILLES LIKE MAKE THEM SOUND SO MUCH DIFFERENT" I listened to them with the grilles off even.

Welcome to the head-fi hype machine, where "night and day difference" actually means "barely distinguishable". Really sorry about that, and your wallet, too.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #28,506 of 46,533
Originally Posted by Svperstar 

I ordered some 650 drivers and put them in my 580s. I dunno what I was expecting but I am a bit disappointed. The 580 and 650 have almost the same sound signature. Far more in common then different.

Before someone says "BUT THE GRILLES LIKE MAKE THEM SOUND SO MUCH DIFFERENT" I listened to them with the grilles off even.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^ Live and Learn, remember, Darwin is always right..... 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #28,507 of 46,533
Wow what a difference to the HD650! This is just the first few minutes and I already notice it. I'm going through the D1's tube out right now...maybe I'll try the regular out soon.

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #28,508 of 46,533
Yeah, good point Don. The Bell Curve for the mid band actually refers to the way I had it set up in Ozone 6. the built-in PEQ in JRMC doesn't allow for a Bell Curve but just using a general EQ adjustment for that one band results in exactly the same sound as with Ozone 6.

I can see how some might recoil at the idea of EQ'ing the 650's, after all many people buy them for precisely the area this EQ addresses. The thing is, perform the EQ I listed above and listen to a few favourite albums. Then remove the EQ and listen again. I couldn't go back to the stock sound. That upper-bass, low-mid hump adds a sort of cuppiness to the sound that's not particularly noticeable until it's removed. Still, as long as the user is happy with the sound I'm happy. Whatever floats your boat, as they say. I just thought I'd put that EQ out there for people to give it a try and provide some feedback. It may not be perfect but it lifts the 650 to a new level (for me). There's now even more detail in the mid-range, and as we all know, that's where the music lives.

As for the HW v SW debate..

Frans  (Solderdude) says that the HW option is particularly beneficial in boosting the bass end of the FR. I don't know enough about the science to comment as to whether this is true or not & I've never had the pleasure of hearing a HW filter yet. However, Frans is the guy who designs all the Garage 1217 amps so he knows what he's talking about. We'll see when the filter is eventually available. I'll be buying one as soon as possible.

Also, I have never, ever, been known as Highlander, lol. In fact I'm a Lowlander in Scottish terms. :beerchug:  

edit - I should also point out that I use the crossfeed component (subtle setting) in JRMC as well as EQ. I'm not hearing exactly the same thing as compared to someone just using EQ alone.

Would you be able to pm me the eq you posted earlier, don't quite have the time to keep up with this thread.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #28,509 of 46,533

Welcome to the head-fi hype machine, where "night and day difference" actually means "barely distinguishable". Really sorry about that, and your wallet, too.

LOL,  Isn't that the whole mantra of subjective audiophiles.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #28,511 of 46,533
You can't compare ELISE with the other two amps you mentioned,Elise have 2 input/output tubes i think it's not fair for the other two amps.

Just my two cents..... 

La Figaro 339 has two of each as well. It would be great to compare to the Elise with HD650s. I am in love with the 339/HD650 combo but am sure the Elise/HD650 is also spectacular.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #28,512 of 46,533
You can't compare ELISE with the other two amps you mentioned,Elise have 2 input/output tubes i think it's not fair for the other two amps.
[...]

Can you explain the sonic difference with zero knowledge of the circuit? No, right? It were all about the number of tubes, a Mesa Baron would be one of the greatest amps the world had seen. Didn't really turn out that way.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #28,513 of 46,533
As I've gradually moved my upstream gear up the chain, the hd650 never fails to surprise me with it's ability to scale with better gear. While I would have never popped for a Gungnir MB and cma800r amp JUST for the hd650, plugging the 650 into this gear puts a huge smile on my face. And surprisingly the 650 continues to get gobs of headtime despite having more expensive headphones at my disposal. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #28,514 of 46,533
^ Very true. Specs and pricing have not been reliable predictors of usage for my HPs.

If I had to gauge head-time then:

650=HE560 > LCD-2.2 (sold) > PS500 in my arsenal.

For me, that's the real measure of HP excellence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back