Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #28,006 of 46,499

Yeah, same here. The last real band I saw was The National in Glasgow & it was an exceptional concert. I'd recommend them every time actually. Seen them twice now and they really put on a show. Lately though it's all X-Factor ***** that I wouldn't attend if it was free. It's partly my fault for living where I do & I'll be fixing that shortly when we move to the south of France. Can't come soon enough.

Wow - big move! South of France - did you win the Scottish National lottery!?

When's the party? 
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #28,007 of 46,499
I wish!

My wife is the head gardener on a large shooting estate and her boss is selling up & moving to France. He wants us to go with them, my wife as his gardener & me as his chaueffeur.

What can I say?

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #28,008 of 46,499
  I wish!

My wife is the head gardener on a large shooting estate and her boss is selling up & moving to France. He wants us to go with them, my wife as his gardener & me as his chaueffeur.

What can I say?

Seriously? That sounds very cool. Maybe you and @castleofargh can throw a Head-Fi meet together, once you settle in.

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #28,009 of 46,499

Seriously? That sounds very cool. Maybe you and @castleofargh can throw a Head-Fi meet together, once you settle in.

We've already discussed it & he's not too far away but who knows what might happen. I do like the idea of driving a 1962 Bentley around the Riviera though.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #28,011 of 46,499
I'm currently getting a lot of joy with this..

I'm using JRMC's buit-in parametric equalizer and it works well. It doesn't seem to bleed into the mids as you might expect. It would be easy to look at the FR curve and think you need to trget lower down but it just doesn't work. Still, this is enough to beef up the perceived bottom end without killing the overall signature of the 650's.

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #28,012 of 46,499
I have been using this program for a while now and like what it does.  JRiver is pretty good, this makes it a little better, of course it is not the same as running the signal through a couple of amps to the ember, but it will do!  Good luck on the move, hope all goes well.

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #28,013 of 46,499

Ha ha.

I saw a friend that i have not seen for a long time the other day, when my wife and I were at the grocery store.

We talked awhile then he looked at my wife, then asked my, how is this lady treating you?

So , i told him..."she treats me great, as long as I do everything she says"  
tongue.gif

Getting ready to go see Joe Bonamassa tonight with my wife and son....gonna be a good day.

Both funny and awesome in the same post - enjoy the show!

Thank you sir, the show was spectacular...It was Bonamassa with the Three Kings Blues Band, which was an eleven piece band.

It featured the music of three blues legends....Freddie....Albert & B.B. King.....oh and Reese Wynans on the Piano and keyborad was just epic!

My wife, son and I were right up front...it was a wonderful night and some great wow, moments were had by all 
smile.gif

This is not from last nights show, but all 15 shows that he is doing have the same set list.

Freddie King - Hideaway

Albert King - Oh Pretty Woman

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #28,014 of 46,499
@Solrighal - that sounds like a tough gig lol. Sometimes you just have to grab opportunities!

@whirlwind - very cool. Being right up close adds so much to any live show. I've seen the likes of the Stones, Rush and AC/DC while standing at the back of 500,000 people (that free SARS concert in Toronto years ago) and it's pretty tough to say you were part of the experience. Give me a close spot in a small venue with any halfway decent band and it's so much more fun! Long live the small venue or front-rows!

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #28,015 of 46,499
For anyone bored lol - a review of the Fiio X5ii: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13773

Yes, tried with the 650's. A stellar unit and can actually drive planars quite well, but still needed the added power of an E12 to do much justice to the 650's. A bit surprising given how well it drove planars, and the nice implementation of the high gain function which actually switches the voltage rails of the amps from <5V to 14V.

Nice unit for the price.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #28,016 of 46,499
Just took delivery on them today (Amazon was a little slow on the shipping) but these sound amazing, better than I remember. These look like the newer version, came in the new box and they have a small hologram on the right driver, I don't remember that being there before. The ones I owned before had silver drivers as well, were there any sonic changes recently?

I'm listening to them straight out of my Marantz CD5004 CD player and they have enough volume for me, I am going to be buying an amp in the near future.

Edit: Listening to some rock, Black Angels - Passover and from memory these sound more engaging then I remember them, almost Grado like in a way. I remember I used to think my previous HD650s were mellow, I don't get that as much. I'm not complaining and like I said this is just from memory so I could be wrong. Gonna start picking out some ECM recordings to enjoy...

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #28,017 of 46,499
Welcome back to the fold lol. Audio memory is a fickle thing - by all accounts the silver drivers have the same signature they always have. It may be your Marantz has a very good output. I've always been impressed by Denon/Marantz gear.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #28,018 of 46,499
  Welcome back to the fold lol. Audio memory is a fickle thing - by all accounts the silver drivers have the same signature they always have. It may be your Marantz has a very good output. I've always been impressed by Denon/Marantz gear.

Thanks, good to be back. You're probably right, either way I'm glad to have the HD650s again and this time I won't be selling them.

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #28,019 of 46,499
Heh - a definite theme here.

1,001 posts - many of them here, the thread that keeps on keeping on. I will commemorate with a classic band and album. And a visual accuity test: find the tattoo....

@CanadianMaestro - you accused me of being classy?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back